Any cooks here?

Gambit

Re: Any cooks here? Looks very good, Gambo. Just a couple of suggestions. Eat an egg 4 times a week and have some chicken every day, rather than intermittently. While plant sources do contain protein, these are classified as 2nd class, as they do not contain all the essential amino acids. Animal sources, on the other hand, contain all of them. No milk in your diet? Milk is rich in calcium and also contains several vitamins, inclusing vitamin D, which is essential for your bones. If you dislike milk, have cheese instead.

Re: Any cooks here? Dhondy, what do you make of my diet from a medic's standpoint ? For breakfast, i eat one can of Tuna (the kind which comes with water). For an accompaniment, I crack two eggs and pour out their yolk into my glass of milk. I drink that down every morning before leaving for work. For lunch, i usually eat the grilled chicken breast i pack for myself every night, along with a club sandwich with ham. For dinner, i eat three grilled cuts of salmon along with a plateful of veggies (usually carrots, broccoli, and that stringy green thing which i can't name right now). I finish with 1 more egg yolk in milk. Throughout my work-day and in between my three meals, i tend to snack on granola bars and a tiny bag of chips (Doritos). This regimen always stays the same, although sometimes during dinner - i have switched salmon for various kinds of red meat. Depends on my mood (and my wallet). Is this a good diet, and can i make any possible modifications ? The last time i saw a dietrician, she said i needed to eat more veggies but i didn't bother listening.

Re: Any cooks here? Good: Lots of deep sea fish, grilled (as opposed to fried) chicken Bad: Egg yolk (loaded with cholesterol), chips (empty calories), red meat (more saturated fats), granola bars (calorie rich, no nutritional value). Recommend: Cut out the bad. More chicken, fruits (absent currently in your diet), and more vegetables.

Re: Any cooks here? Thanks ! Next time i'll swap my granola bars for apples or oranges. BTW, what do you make of beef ? Is it really as bad as it's cracked up to be ? I am a subscriber to "Men's Fitness" magazine and i remember one of it's cover stories on beef. It mentioned that a grilled piece of beef is several times more plentiful in zinc, iron, vitamin B12 compared to a grilled piece of chicken breast. Is it really leaner than white meats ? or was i just getting one side of the story ? That article almost had me convinced, but i still stuck with chicken 'cos it tastes good.

Re: Any cooks here?

For an accompaniment, I crack two eggs and pour out their yolk into my glass of milk.
my 2cents from bodybuilding and health perspective.... doc can correct me.... drinking raw eggs has 2 bad effects... 1. Salmonella risk. 2. Raweggs has an components which will inhibit protein absorption in your body. That component is destroyed by cooking... So it is best to cook ur eggs and eat it, otherwise it affect ur absorption of proteins from other foods as well.... Secondly, it has been recommended to cut down on fish to only twice a week, because of mercury levels.... it is better to have fish twice a week, and a tea-spoon of flax-seed oil to still get those omega rich fatty acids...

Re: Any cooks here?

For an accompaniment' date=' I crack two eggs and pour out their yolk into my glass of milk. [/quote'] 2. Raweggs has an components which will inhibit protein absorption in your body. That component is destroyed by cooking... So it is best to cook ur eggs and eat it, otherwise it affect ur absorption of proteins from other foods as well.... Secondly, it has been recommended to cut down on fish to only twice a week, because of mercury levels.... it is better to have fish twice a week, and a tea-spoon of flax-seed oil to still get those omega rich fatty acids...
Pretty close on the first one, although it's not proteins that are affected. It's a B-vitamin called biotin. A protein called avidin in raw egg binds with biotin and prevents its absorption from the gut. Cooking or boiling destroys Avidin, and is recommended. Not sure about the mercury levels in fish though. Is this true for deep sea fish? I'd read one or two reports on fresh water fish having high Hg levels from industrial pollutants, but didn't think deep sea fish like tuna could be affected.

Re: Any cooks here? FDA Advice, Dhonds... "By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury. 1. Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury. 2. Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury. * Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish. * Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week. "

Re: Any cooks here? Can somebody give me a good recipe for making fish--catfish pref. I don't like how East Asians prepare their seafood (or Western preps. either)--I need it to be heavy in masala. I'm quite good at making white meat and lamb (won't eat beef cause it'll upset my family), but I have no idea how to make fish tasty. So, ... ... let's have it ... ... help a brotha out

Re: Any cooks here? Gator, I also lift weights - 2 hours everyday in fact. Have been doing so for the last 3 years. Mainly manual exercises with free weights.

drinking raw eggs has 2 bad effects... 1. Salmonella risk.
This is just a myth, m8. I suggest that you read THIS which was a study conducted by the US Dept. of Agriculture. The odds of contracting salmonella from eggs is very, very low. 69 billion of them produced annually, and only 2.3 million contain any trace of the disease. That's 0.03% or alternatively, 1 in every 30,000. Generally, it isn't recommended, but it really depends on where you get your eggs from...only poorly-bred chickens lay bad eggs. It's not anywhere near as bad as most people will have you believe.
A protein called avidin in raw egg binds with biotin and prevents its absorption from the gut. Cooking or boiling destroys Avidin, and is recommended.
But egg-yolk has plenty of biotin anyway. Besides, cooking it will kill off the enzymes.
Secondly, it has been recommended to cut down on fish to only twice a week, because of mercury levels.... it is better to have fish twice a week, and a tea-spoon of flax-seed oil to still get those omega rich fatty acids...
Another myth...the benefits of eating fish far outweigh any of the potential risks. Read THIS

Re: Any cooks here? Predator, biotin deficiency is very rare, because it is required in small amounts, and it is present in a host of foods, but the one thing that can cause it is eating raw eggs. I don't know what you mean by your reference to enzymes.

Re: Any cooks here? Thanks for the info on the eggs, Predator... Correct me, if I qam wrong, but as far as tht link is concerned, it still recommends only twice a week.... "Eating seafood twice a week is good for your heart and generally outweighs the risk of exposure to mercury and other dangerous contaminants, the Institute of Medicine said Tuesday."

Re: Any cooks here? Zoots, Catfish is best eaten beer-battered and fried... But it is quite versatile and can be had indian style too.... Tilapia also tastes good, when made indian style.... My favorite is Goan style.... i am gonna share my secret here...it takes only 15-20 mins.... you got to first fry some onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies for some time.... then u put some TAMARiND, coriander powder(lot), cumin powder, turmeric, chilli powder and some water.... then u cook for some time(5 mins)... then u put some COCONUT MILK (or NOrmal milk) and cook for some more time(5 mins)... Then u put the fish pieces (boneless) and simmer for 5 mins.... put some butter on top... thts it.... total of 15 mins or so... i forgot to mention salt....