Wasim Akram questions Eric Simons' appointment

Block hole

Have you guys noticed this trend? Former Pakistani (and to an extent, Indian) players are among the first ones to unequivocally slam the appointment of foreign coaches to their respective national team. Whether it is Akram, Miandad or even Kapil, they all sing the same tune - 'Why do we need foreign cricketers? What do they know that we dont? And dont even speak our language...' And in the times that they have been given the opportunity to take over their teams as coaches, what have these 'legends' of the game achieved? Almost nothing. Miandad, despite multiple tenures, was a disaster as coach. The current Pakistani coach is Intikhab and we all know how well they're doing off late. And less said about the records of guys like Gaekwad, Kapil, Madan Lal, the better. In fact, Indian cricket started its march towards some semblance of respectability only after John Wright's appointment. Sure, Guru Greg's tenure wasnt exactly a bed of roses, but Kirsten has come in and done exceptionally well.
Exactly. There are numerous examples around showing how average cricketers have taken over and done well in comparison to legends and also foriegners have produced the goods. Srilanka played some top notch cricket under Dave Whatmore, even the current and previous Aussie coach are not legends but average players, Andy Flower is doing a good job for England. Hell even Bangladesh have gone from being called poor to now being called ordinary under foriegn coaches. Pakistan had 2 foriegn coaches - one unfortunately ended tragically and the other realised he didnt have in it him to survive the temperamental Pakistanis.
Hell even Bangladesh have gone from being called poor to now being called ordinary under foriegn coaches.
:giggle::giggle: Nice one Agreed with your post btw, the limited players have to work harder in their careers and it is no surprise they can better explain and handle things when they become coaches.

Sorry for being a little racist here, but doesn't a foreign coach in sub continent mean someone from Aus/SA/Eng and one with a white skin? When we talk of a fielding coach, we keep hearing the name Jonty, why not Roger Harper, who was one hell of an athlete himself? Similarly for bowling coach, why not someone from WI, like say a Walsh, Ambrose or even Ian Bishop who seems to understand the nuances of pace bowling so well?

Sorry for being a little racist here, but doesn't a foreign coach in sub continent mean someone from Aus/SA/Eng and one with a white skin? When we talk of a fielding coach, we keep hearing the name Jonty, why not Roger Harper, who was one hell of an athlete himself? Similarly for bowling coach, why not someone from WI, like say a Walsh, Ambrose or even Ian Bishop who seems to understand the nuances of pace bowling so well?
Rhodes belongs to a different league. Harper, Logie are good but not in the league of Rhodes.
It also comes down to whether they are interested. Ian Bishop & Michael Holding have got themselves a good career as commentators. Walsh/Ambrose they are probably not involved in cricket and have gone on to their other passions. As for Jonty, I guess he made fielding synymous with his name.If you were asked to name the best fielder most people's first thought will be Jonty. a pause and then they might think of some of the other names.
Rhodes belongs to a different league. Harper' date=' Logie are good but not in the league of Rhodes.[/quote'] With the kind of fielders we have and likely to have in the future, I feel someone like a Harper will work better for us than a legend like Rhodes. In the past too we have seen how guys with no huge names ( Bruce Reid, Fannie Devilliers, Wright, Rajput etc) have worked better for us than the legends (Chappel, Kapil, Gavaskar as batting consultant etc).
With the kind of fielders we have and likely to have in the future, I feel someone like a Harper will work better for us than a legend like Rhodes. In the past too we have seen how guys with no huge names ( Bruce Reid, Fannie Devilliers, Wright, Rajput etc) have worked better for us than the legends (Chappel, Kapil, Gavaskar as batting consultant etc).
I agree with that. Big names don't mean big effect. Rhodes is born with that. You would look for someone who was ordinary and then worked hard and became a good one. Azharuddin by his own admission was a lousy fielder at the start. Then he put the hard yards to become a better fielder. First and foremost thing for agility is light upper body . Have you guys seen Upul Chandana. He was lightning quick.
I agree with that. Big names don't mean big effect. Rhodes is born with that. You would look for someone who was ordinary and then worked hard and became a good one. Azharuddin by his own admission was a lousy fielder at the start. Then he put the hard yards to become a better fielder. First and foremost thing for agility is light upper body . Have you guys seen Upul Chandana. He was lightning quick.
how about Noel David :--D

I am really surprised at our fielding. I have been to several college matches. several inter-college matches. They have amazing reflexes while fielding. They do some unbelievable stuff something i don't see in the Indian side. Not sure if it is pressure or lack of attention to fielding they just fall from their standard.

Maybe Akram was hoping to be appointed the bowling coach and hence the statements. But frankly speaking I had also never heard of Simons before and only time will tell how good is he as a bowling coach. The one thing which I did not like about Simons was that he started whining within days of the announcement saying he cannot help the team in short time. I did not like the negative approach though I agree with the point that the coach has to be for a long amount of time. I wont mind Akram as a coach for a long term but he has to leave ESPN contract and concentrate fully on coaching as the bowling coach is very important at this point.