Mickey Arthur Resigns

Apperently his relationship with Graeme Smith deteriorated beyond repair after Graeme questioned his methods in public. Some reports say that Graeme said if Mickey doesn't quit, he will. Don't know if there is any truth in that. It is also unclear at this stage whether Mickey quit on his own or was asked to do so. It is known that he and CSA president Gerald Majola met yesterday to discuss a severance package.

Mari, no offence but you'll see more resignations from your side once India completes the ritual of thrashing the Saffers (YES! that too without Rahul) :eating: :icflove:

South Africa's panel of selectors sacked by board

A day after Mickey Arthur quit as national coach, South Africa's selection panel has also been sacked by the board. Mike Procter, the chairman of selectors, confirmed the development on a local radio station in Johannesburg. Procter told Talk Radio 702 that Cricket South Africa had fired the entire selection panel, which included Craig Matthews, Winky Ximiya and Mustapha Khan, and an interim one would be appointed to serve until February 19. "It came as a huge shock to us all," Procter said. He added that only CSA would be able to confirm if the developments were linked to the transformation issue. "Had a call yesterday evening from Gerald Majola informing me, and the rest of the selectors, that we would not be required for any future services by South African cricket," Procter told a South African news channel. "I was pretty surprised, because everyone was told that we were going to give presentations, there was going to be a talk after the England series, there wasn't a witch hunt or anything, and I thought we did pretty well." The selection panel was appointed in October 2008 and its tenure was until the 2011 World Cup, the same as Arthur's contract.
Mari, no offence but you'll see more resignations from your side once India completes the ritual of thrashing the Saffers (YES! that too without Rahul) :eating: :icflove:
There's not going to be anybody left to resign at the current rate. The selectors were all informed that their services are no longer required by CSA. There will be an interim selector's commitee and they will be headed by CSA chief executive Gerald Majola. Who's next? :nervous:
All this because of losing to England?
Honestly, nobody seems to know for sure. There are speculation that it may be a transformation issue, but CSA isn't forthcoming with any reasons. There is a press conference scheduled in East London today. Will have to wait and see what is said. Supposedly Graeme and Mickey will deny the reports that there is a rift between them. Gerald Majola will be present to explain these recent developments. It is also expected that Corrie van Zyl will be there.

Mickey Arthur: I quit because of too many 'differences' between me and Cricket South Africa article-0-0804E965000005DC-593_87x84.jpg Mickey Arthur today blamed 'differences' between himself and Cricket South Africa for his his decision to step down as Proteas coach. The 41-year-old today confirmed he had resigned from the post he has held since May 2005, with high performance centre director Corrie van Zyl handed the reins while a replacement is sought.-_hwgtWO66UMore... Mickey Arthur: I quit because of too many 'differences' between me and Cricket South Africa 10:16 AM on 27th January 2010 Mickey Arthur today blamed 'differences' between himself and Cricket South Africa for his his decision to step down as Proteas coach. The 41-year-old today confirmed he had resigned from the post he has held since May 2005, with high performance centre director Corrie van Zyl handed the reins while a replacement is sought. 'I've decided to resign as national coach of the Proteas with immediate effect as I feel it is of the best interests of me and the team,' Arthur told a specially arranged press conference in East London. 'Differences have arisen between the board of Cricket South Africa and me and I don't believe I can take the team forward under the present circumstances. 'There comes a time when you have to move on and I know in my own mind that I've taken the right decision. It is never a bad thing to have a fresh pair of legs running the show and I wish my successor all the best in his endeavours.' Van Zyl will lead South Africa during their tour of India next month. It was also announced that members of the national selection committee, including Mike Procter, had been relieved of their duties as part of the restructuring process. The convener will be replaced by CSA CEO Gerald Majola, who is a former member of the national selection panel, the new interim boss Van Zyl and former captain Kepler Wessels. Majola said: 'The board accepted his (Arthur's) resignation, which came following the normal stocktaking process after the England series and against the backdrop of some disappointing results. 'As this process unfolded and remedies were sought, Mickey expressed a very honest and humble view that he did not believe at this stage he could continue as coach of the Proteas. 'The board wishes to thank Mickey for his great contribution to the advancement of the Proteas to the point where in 2008/09 they had their best season ever and finished on top of the world Test and ODI rankings.' Captain Graeme Smith admitted hearing of Arthur's departure when the news initially broke yesterday had left him upset, especially because early reports had pointed towards a breakdown in their own relationship as the main reason for the coach to walk out. 'Yesterday was a tough day for me,' he added. 'Not only from the media reports, but also Mickey resigning had affected me. 'The two of us have had a great partnership over the last five years, obviously a captain-coach relationship is crucial. I think Mickey was integral to bringing a lot of stability to the team, calmness, and he can be very proud of what he's achieved as coach. 'I really believe, as a captain, I've given Mickey my full support. I mean, we've really done everything to bring the best out of the team working together.'

Racial quotas not behind Arthur's resignation: Cricket SA Cricket South Africa CEO Gerald Majola has said coach Mickey Arthur's resignation was not linked to disagreements over race quotas. More... Racial quotas not behind Arthur's resignation: Cricket SA January 28, 2010 12:45 IST Cricket South Africa CEO Gerald Majola has said coach Mickey Arthur's resignation was not linked to disagreements over race quotas. "Mickey's resignation is not for any reasons of transformation. As far as we are concerned, he achieved his targets, which are measured over a period of time and not just over one Test," The Guardian quoted Majola, as saying. "We believe as a board that Mickey has been very successful. His resignation came through the normal stock taking process, which followed the England home series and against the backdrop of the disappointing results of 2009. As this process unfolded and remedies were sought, Mickey expressed the very honest and humble view that he did not believe that at this stage he could continue as coach," Majola added. But, nearly 16 years after the African National Congress took power with the election of Nelson Mandela as the country's president, South Africa did not field a single black player in the last two Tests against England once they had taken the politically fraught decision to drop Makhaya Ntini. With Ntini's Test career surely over, that automatically focused attention on the slow pace of change. Arthur would only admit to a different vision, saying: "It was clear that the vision I had and Cricket South Africa's vision are different. I am disappointed, because when I started there I said I wanted to get South Africa to No 1 in both forms of the game, I wanted to be the first South African coach to win in England, and the first to win in Australia The only thing I didn't achieve was an ICC trophy." Tension in South African cricket would reduce if Lonwabo Tsotsobe, a left-arm bowler for Warriors, proved himself in India a replacement for Ntini, but his breakthrough is far from certain. Tsotsobe is 25 and has yet to make his Test debut, and has only three One-day caps despite taking four wickets on debut against Australia in Perth a year ago. Progress of black players in South Africa at all levels remains slowed by poverty and a lack of facilities, a fact that the South African government cannot afford to address fully. Cricket is an expensive sport to stage successfully, the privileged protect their facilities jealously, the most successful players still tend to be white, and coaching schemes in the townships have recently been reduced. The debate about quotas - the sort of debate that caused Kevin Pietersen [ Images ] to leave South Africa in protest and qualify for England - remains as controversial as ever.