Focus is all on Laxman

Feed

More... Focus is all on Laxman - It appears senior pro is going to be available for first Test LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI Nagpur: It was around 1.15 in the afternoon, on Thursday, when possibly the off-the-field moment of South Africa’s tour of India occurred, at the sparkling VCA Stadium, in neighbouring Jamtha. That was when Graeme Smith’s men arrived for nets and found that India’s session hadn’t quite ended. It gave the Jacques Kallis’s the opportunity to greet one-time teammate Gary Kirsten, who has been coaching the hosts for close to two years. Some also caught up with former South Africa coach Eric Simons, who is now in the India camp as its bowling consultant. Kirsten quickly vacated the first net, not that it was necessary as the South Africans had come there to park their kit bags and gear before heading for the fielding drills. A little later, it was the turn of ex-team manager (now the logistics head) Goolam Rajah to exchange greetings with Kirsten, in particular. Actually, they hugged each other. But, then, Rajah’s the emotional type. Asked whether the presence of Kirsten and Simons in the India camp would work to South Africa’s disadvantage, Kallis said: “No, I don’t think so... Nowadays, everybody knows everything about everybody else... We play so much...” Smiling, he added: “At the end of the tour, Gary and I will probably have more than a few beers together... We’re professionals... It’s not that we’ll be avoiding each other.” To get back to the hosts’ nets, which was held in two groups, the focus was all on V.V.S. Laxman, who is recovering from the injury to his left hand sustained in Chittagong last month. “I’m better... I’m better,” Laxman told The Telegraph. Rohit Sharma has already been added to the squad as a cover. After the doubts on Wednesday, it appears that Laxman is going to be available for the first Test of the two-match series, which begins in Jamtha on Saturday. Indications are that opener Murali Vijay, who batted in the middle-order in Dhaka, would take guard at No.3, Rahul Dravid’s position. “Sure, it’s a huge loss for India... Not all realise just how important No.3 is and Dravid has always been as solid as a rock there, even if the openers have got big runs,” remarked AB de Villiers, one of South Africa’s key players. Injuries aren’t something which can be controlled and, as India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni believes, there’s little to be gained by fretting over the uncontrollables. Subramaniam Badrinath is set to make his debut. Parts of Nagpur received rain around lunch time and, for a few hours, it was overcast. However, according to the local mandarins, rain “hasn’t been forecast” for Day I of the Test, at least. Footnote: Former captain Kepler Wessels, who is on the interim selection panel, is part of the support staff on tour. His top job is to work with the batsmen. Around, too, is ex-England player Jeremy Snapes. He’s the mental conditioning coach.