Improving Bangla to Test Kiwis

Feed

Bangladesh's improved showing in the most recent One-day International will ensure there is no complacency in the New Zealand camp heading into the one-off Test which starts in Hamilton on Monday. More... Saturday 13th February 2010 Improving Bangla to Test Kiwis New Zealand will try to ward off any complacency against an improved Bangladesh in the one-off Test in Hamilton. While New Zealand enjoyed comprehensive wins in the Twenty20 and first two one-dayers, they were made to work harder for their three-wicket win in Christchurch where Bangladesh offered glimpses of their potential. Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan has not been in sparkling form with the bat on this tour, but the all-rounder produced a fine spell of slow bowling at AMI Stadium to finish with four for 33. Pacemen Rubel Hossain, Shahadat Hossain and Shaiful Islam have also enjoyed their moments, although consistency has perhaps been lacking. Batting has, however, proved to be a weak point for the visitors so Imrul Kayes' maiden one-day century in Christchurch was a timely one. Fellow opener Tamim Iqbal, who scored a ton in the recent 2-0 series loss to India, is also emerging as a genuine talent but Bangladesh will need huge improvement from Mohammad Ashraful if they are to truly test New Zealand. For New Zealand the key will be keeping the momentum gained during the limited over series going, especially with a series against Australia just around the corner. "The professionalism they showed in the four previous games needs to be continued in this Test series," said bowler Chris Martin. "I know that Bangladesh may have wrested a little bit back in that last one-day game so I suppose so for the Test side it's a matter of starting this game well on the first day. "If you do look at our results and where we are placed in the Test rankings over the last couple of years they haven't always been the greatest moments or memories for us." The 35-year-old added: "In the next month or so we've got three Test matches which we need to play well. "I think we may have let ourselves down a wee bit in the last series (against Pakistan) by not finishing it off with a winning performance in Napier. "But against Bangladesh I'm hoping we can at least get a good win to get some momentum leading into Australia as well." Since the series with Pakistan, New Zealand have lost two key bowlers to retirement - Shane Bond and Iain O'Brien - which has allowed fast bowler Andy McKay to be included in the Test squad for the first time. Neil Broom and Peter Ingram are the other debutants in the group, while Jeetan Patel, Martin, Tim McIntosh and BJ Watling come in after not being required for the limited overs series. Ingram, who opened with Brendon McCullum in the one-day games, will bat at three in the Tests meaning Martin Guptill will drop down to five in the order.

I think they need to drop Ashraful. He seems lost in the field. I am impressed with the pacers' date=' that Rubel guy was hitting 145ks and even Sha bowls at 140+. Best of luck, don't collapse![/quote'] Ash should be dropped but there is no one to replace him in New Zealand. Rokibul is even worse at the moment and Aftab is crap in longer version. Maybe for the England series either SN/Farhad/Bashar/Alok can be given a go in his position.
Ash should be dropped but there is no one to replace him in New Zealand. Rokibul is even worse at the moment and Aftab is crap in longer version. Maybe for the England series either SN/Farhad/Bashar/Alok can be given a go in his position.
Just make your neighbours proud. Remember when other countries including Pakistan was against your Test status, who gave you guys a chance. India backed you guys up so I expect you guys to be rooting for us in the SAF test:--D