Thank you for the sporting pitch

Guest Hiten.

When some people dont have anything worthwhile to write' date=' they start writing S***[/quote']
Well.. All I can say is when you cant debate' date=' you start personal attack and when mods start doing it , you know there's something wrong :nervous:[/quote'] You started it my friend.
In response to
How is that offensive ? All I said was "one of them" meaning the ones who think pitch deteriorating is bad for the game of gentlemen :giggle: I should've been more explicit I guess.

This whole thing about sporting this, sporting that is just extremely over-rated, especially in Indian conditions. Isnt the pattern obvious to everyone, vis-a-vis test matches at home? Most times, either one of the two teams rake in a big score in their first innings. From then on, its just a matter of whether any one of their bowlers can put in an inspired spell in either first or second innings of the other team. Sreesanth did that for us in the 2nd test against Lanka, Steyn did it for the Saffies in the first test. Bottom line, Indian conditions massively favor batting. All the last 4 results in India have been innings wins, meaning one team has managed to score an insane amount of runs in one inning. From then on, its just a matter of if one of their bowlers can put in an inspired spell or if the other team collapses under the sheer weight of the runs. Contrary to popular perception, our biggest match-winner at home isnt our star-studded batting line-up or our spin/pace attack, but the massive pressure opposition teams have to deal with, when facing down those big totals. How much ever they resist, its only a matter of time before they crumble. By and large, most of our pitches are same. Only, a few produce draws and get hammered, while the others produce results and get lauded as 'sporting'.

Regardless of the result' date=' this was a pretty [b']abysmal test match wicket for India - it was the equivalent of India beating South Africa at the Oval, which is the closest analogy I can draw for this Calcutta pitch.
Crap. The wicket was perfect for Bhajji. Good bounce and decent turn with just enough pace off the pitch. He couldn't have asked for anything more. In Nagpur, there was appreciable turn but no bounce or pace off the wicket and hence it did not suit him.
The curator and ground staff tried everything in their power to prevent an Indian win' date=' but India just proved to be too strong. Hopefully, the right message and actions will be taken despite the result.[/quote'] Symptoms of Dalmiya Paranoia evident here. Laughable to say the least.

^ I don't need any explicit and complex theories to see the amount of grass that was left on the pitch - grass does not effect bounce, makes it pacier and prevents it from breaking up. You can laugh all you want, after all India are still the number 1 test side in the world. EDIT : Not to mention the 20 overs lost on day 4 because the curator did not cover the ground properly overnight.

^ I don't need any explicit and complex theories to see the amount of grass that was left on the pitch - grass does not effect bounce' date=' makes it pacier and prevents it from breaking up. You can laugh all you want, after all India are still the number 1 test side in the world.[/quote'] I did not say grass effects bounce. Where did you get that from?
I did not say grass effects bounce. Where did you get that from?
Why was grass left on the pitch? Why were bowling areas not covered during the overnight rain? Why was a grassland prepared the last time we faced South Africa in an ODI here? It's not whether India is equipped to handle these situations, which they clearly showed they are. It's about the curator deliberately going against the side's strengths and requests to induce an Indian loss. India won despite the best efforts from the Calcutta curator towards the contrary and this fact should not be overlooked for the future.
Why was grass left on the pitch?
- If you had seen the pitch the grass was shaven as closely as possible. You cannot take it off completely without damaging the pitch. I think you did suggest yourself, during the lead-up to this match, a bit of help to our pace bowlers would be welcome after the dismal performance of our spinners.
Why were bowling areas not covered during the overnight rain?
This problem is not exclusive to Kolkata. Most grounds in India don't have adequate covers.
Why was a grassland prepared the last time we faced South Africa in an ODI here? It's not whether India is equipped to handle these situations, which they clearly showed they are. It's about the curator deliberately going against the side's strengths and requests to induce an Indian loss.
Totally irrelevant. The Calcutta crowd itself was against the Indian team then.
- If you had seen the pitch the grass was shaven as closely as possible. You cannot take it off completely without damaging the pitch. I think you did suggest yourself, during the lead-up to this match, a bit of help to our pace bowlers would be welcome after the dismal performance of our spinners.
It's not about what I suggest - it's about what the Indian team wanted.
This problem is not exclusive to Kolkata. Most grounds in India don't have adequate covers.
Care to quote some examples where despite a rain forecast, the bowling area was left uncovered?
Totally irrelevant. The Calcutta crowd itself was against the Indian team then.
Not irrelevant. The crowd might have been behind India this time, but the curator was not.

Marris - where you are wrong is that precisely those pitches which produce results are lambasted as non-sporting! Especially if the opposition team folds ineptly against spin in under 5 days. And teacup by no stretch of imagination was this wicket perfect for any bowler. Seam or swing or spin. This was not a result wicket. If only Duminy and Prince had the slightest idea of playing off spin bowling, South Africa would have been laughing all the way home. Forget that, but for a weak moment each for Parnell and Morkel, we would have still lost the series. Then how do you think all the criticism might have gone?

Marris - where you are wrong is that precisely those pitches which produce results are lambasted as non-sporting! Especially if the opposition team folds ineptly against spin in under 5 days.
If you're referring to extremely spin-friendly pitches then that might be the case, but the general trend among Indian fans is to laud some pitches as sporting and result-friendly, while lambast others for being a patta, when its clear as daylight that pitches do not play a significant role in determining the outcome of a match. I've already pointed, the last 4 decisive test match results in India have all been innings wins, meaning the pitch was so good for batting that one of the teams had to bat only once. Yet, the a result was achieved due to a combination of a good spell of bowling by a bowler and the other batting team crumbling under the pressure of having to face down so many runs.
It's not about what I suggest - it's about what the Indian team wanted.
The Indian team wanted the grass to be shaved and it was done. I reminded you of your suggestion to point out the hypocrisy in your accusation.
Care to quote some examples where despite a rain forecast, the bowling area was left uncovered?
There are numerous examples of matches getting delayed due to soggy run-up area and in most of the cases the game begins only after bags of saw dust are used to mend the affected areas. Here is one example where the run-up area condition forced the matched to be called off.
Not irrelevant. The crowd might have been behind India this time, but the curator was not.
On what evidence? He did shave the grass on the pitch as per instructions, didn't he? Kirsten himself had said we would have played with 3 seamers if the grass had been left behind. Anyways, my point is, you are not being fair when you say this is an abysmal wicket for India. It was not ideal but it offered good assistance to at least one of our two main strike bowlers. Harbhajan always looked threatening in the match, no matter who the batsman was, and that would not have been possible without the pitch offering him the bounce, turn and the pace off the wicket with which he troubles batsmen. Forget about Harbhajan, even Mishra benefited from the extra bounce and pace. His bowling, which lacks fizz, really needs that as does not impart as much spin on the ball as Bedi observed the other day on a news channel. Lest you forget, we took only 6 wickets in the whole match in Nagpur on a slow, square turner.