Dhoni is now officially a good test match player

Exactly. He doesn't make overall technical adjustments. He just finds a technique on the fly to suit the particular pitch and particular bowler. Remember how he coped with Mendis where others were falling like nine pins.
Not to sound as if I am criticizing with any ulterior motive. Absolutely not. But the nine pins act was in the Test series where Dhoni was absent. Dhoni handled Mendis in the ODI series. And he handled him very well.
Not to sound as if I am criticizing with any ulterior motive. Absolutely not. But the nine pins act was in the Test series where Dhoni was absent. Dhoni handled Mendis in the ODI series. And he handled him very well.
Well i think VVS was talking about the famous Asia Cup final..when our batsmen faced him for the first time. But yes it was ODI cricket. But it is a good indicator of the point VVS was trying to make..about how one adapts when facing an unfamiliar situation.
I've always said this guy will create history in Indian cricket. People don't realise how talented he is and more than that he's more determined and focused. Hit batting average after becoming captain must in the 70s
the guy is a fighter.. he isn't the most talented wk/batsman we have. (that would be Karthik). When he came onto the scene, he was a raw all-out hitter. He wasn't a great keeper too. First he improved his keeping to such an extent that now we have nightmares when he think of another keeper keeping for us. He was then our best keeper. Then he changed his batting style and approach for the teams requirements, and in the process is now the best batsman in the world.(ICC ranking #1) When he was given captaincy, he's again showing us how much of a champion he is. Who would have even dreamed of the inconsistent Indian team (10D+10 anyone?) would one day be unbeaten for a couple of years! Even after his first test loss (which had a lot to do with retarded selectors), he's bounced back with a bang. He's on his way to becoming our best captain ever. (Statistically he is already there). And if someone says a captain is just as good as his team, I just have one thing to say. Remember T20 World Championships? What a Legend.
Well i think VVS was talking about the famous Asia Cup final..when our batsmen faced him for the first time. But yes it was ODI cricket. But it is a good indicator of the point VVS was trying to make..about how one adapts when facing an unfamiliar situation.
The point Raina_Rocks is that Dhoni got a good look at Mendis over replays and TV. And no doubt the incoming seniors from the Tests also shared their snippets of information with him and all the other ODI players. It was bound to help. I am not depriving credit. I am just giving it the right gradation. It is inaccurate to fault the Test team and the seniors for (mis)handling Mendis and praising Dhoni for handling him better all in one breath. Those were in different circumstances.