Sehwag proves once again: Batting Strike rate matters a heck in tests.

patriot

BTW' date=' I like Sehwag, in fact supported him when lots of current fans were against him. But this is just ridiculous.[/quote'] OP has actually made everyone hate Veeru here. That is the sad part of this thread. Don't be drawn into this argument. Just let it go. You will never get anywhere. 95% of the posters disagree with his opinion. Why having fits over one person's opinion? Opinions are like A.H. Everybody got one.
OP has actually made everyone hate Veeru here. That is the sad part of this thread. Don't be drawn into this argument. Just let it go. You will never get anywhere. 95% of the posters disagree with his opinion. Why having fits over one person's opinion? Opinions are like A.H. Everybody got one.
Just can't believe a cricket fan will hate Veeru ever due to some argument presented by a forummer. He is a champion and will remain so, whatever happens from now on.
This thread has gone too far. Any time Veeru goes through a rough patch this thread will simply explode lol. Veeru had a horrendous run before he was dropped. I remember cursing him no end.
It should not, to be fair t oSehwag. Sachin's lean period SRT went through a horrendous period for 2.5 years between March 2005 and Sep 2007 averaging 31 in 16 tests - nothing was said then. Dravid himself went through such a horrendous patch, almost getting himself to the verge of being dropped. Laxman for a long time was a couple of poor tests from being dropped. Sehwag was retardly dropped from tests for poor ODI form in 2006/07. But then again, you see there are different yarsticks and tolerance levels for different players. Alot depends on your clout and some people are untouchable .

Sehwag's value to this side, to its performances, to SRT even, can be debated ad nauseum. However, old timers like me remember moaning ceaselessly about SRT having to come in routinely at 20 for 2 and having to face a barrage of deadly accurate stuff from the likes of McGrath afer time honoured openers like MSK Prasad had beaten a retreat. The Indian side was a shambles, SRT the lonely warrior, and Dravid and Laxman were very good batsmen who'd pull of the occasional Calcutta. It was really, really frustrating. Would we ever have a world class opener post Sunny? July 25 2002. That was the day Sehwag opened for the first time. In less than 8 years, he has grossed more runs than all other openers combined in the 13 years preceding him, since Sachin's debut. In those

Sehwag's value to this side, to its performances, to SRT even, can be debated ad nauseum. However, old timers like me remember moaning ceaselessly about SRT having to come in routinely at 20 for 2 and having to face a barrage of deadly accurate stuff from the likes of McGrath afer time honoured openers like MSK Prasad had beaten a retreat. The Indian side was a shambles, SRT the lonely warrior, and Dravid and Laxman were very good batsmen who'd pull of the occasional Calcutta. It was really, really frustrating. Would we ever have a world class opener post Sunny? July 25 2002. That was the day Sehwag opened for the first time. In less than 8 years, he has grossed more runs than all other openers combined in the 13 years preceding him, since Sachin's debut. In those okay
If you can't present facts and argue' date=' take your ignorant @$$ out of here. Please.[/quote'] Of course how can one argue with the simple fact that you know, so it must be true, that SRT only plays for money. I'd rather be ignorant, thanks. Please keep the entertainment going. It's just as funny as Afraidi trying to be a smartass.
And I need hardly point out that of the 7.5 years he has been an opener' date=' he actually didn't play Test cricket for a year- he was dropped by Vengsarkar. So, in effect, he has outscored all of India's openers cumulated in the preceding 13 years in half that time.[/quote'] Sehwag being dropped from the Test side was such a farce. IIRC, the reasoning behind dropping him was his poor run of form in the ODI's. Very poor stuff from the selectors then.
Sehwag being dropped from the Test side was such a farce. IIRC' date=' the reasoning behind dropping him was his poor run of form in the ODI's. Very poor stuff from the selectors then.[/quote'] It was a bit of both. He had 3 iffy series on the trot plus 2 tests in Pakistan. Except his 180 in WI during that time failed to provide solid starts. Since Gavaskar's retirement there was one spot which was constantly tampered with was opening batting.
Here is a statistic for you. Sehwag has scored 50 or more in an inning only in 37 matches out of a total 76 he has played so far. Tendulkar has done it in 93 out of 166 matches. That roughly translates to 17% more consistency in more than twice the amount of matches played. You will agree that it should have been the other way round as Sehwag is in the crest of his career graph while Tendulkar is well past his prime. If Sehwag goes through the kind of slump that SRT went through in the middle of the last decade as injuries began to take toll, his consistency is bound to slip further. If that happens, Sehwag whose primary responsibility as an opening batsmen is to protect the middle order from the new ball may end up hurting India's cause more often than he helps India win, especially, after our famed middle-order batsmen retire. Again, this is not to belittle Sehwag, but a true comparison can be made only when Sehwag reaches the end of his career.
Since Patriot had not responded to the statistic and the argument presented in the above post(click on the links in the quoted text to verify the stat), should I take it that he has accepted the fact that SRT is a significantly more consistent performer than Sehwag though he has played more than twice the amount of matches? If that is the case, then we can put an end to this discussion and move on. I don't think anyone will argue against the fact that while strike rate is a nice to have in Test matches for batsmen, consistency in performances is valued much higher in the long run.
Since Patriot had not responded to the statistic and the argument presented in the above post(click on the links in the quoted text to verify the stat)' date=' should I take it that he has accepted the fact that SRT is a significantly more consistent performer than Sehwag though he has played more than twice the amount of matches? If that is the case, then we can put an end to this discussion and move on. I don't think anyone will argue against the fact that while strike rate is a nice to have in Test matches for batsmen, consistency in performances is valued much higher in the long run.[/quote'] How meaningless the above stat can be is illustrated below: Out of 2 matches, "A" scores a crushing 170+ in match 1, I1, a 38 and 45 in I1 and I2 of match 2. "B" scores 105 in match 1 , I1, and 67 and 23 in I1 and I2 of match 2. By your logic B is more consistent - and it appears so as he has 50+ scores in both the matches. But I would rather have 2 A's in my side than 2 B's. -