Sehwag proves once again: Batting Strike rate matters a heck in tests.

patriot

Again ...going back to the purpose of the OP, I said 3 other batters will get equal credit but it was one man who brutalized SA hopes early on - and they never recovered, allowing India the time to win the match. Says Micky Arthur, the former Protea coach: http://www.hindustantimes.com/rssfeed/cricketnews/Kirsten-the-magician/Article1-509987.aspx

Zaheer is a world-class performer and it must have been encouraging to see Ishant bowl a couple of tremendous, aggressive spells of fast bowling — including one of the spells of the match to Hashim Amla on either side of his century — a period in which the Test was turned upside down. But equally important, yet again, was the pace at which Viru scores his runs. Dhoni would never have been able to declare at the end of the third day had Viru not scored 160 at anything like a ‘normal’ rate. I believe his innings earned his team an entire session of extra time in which to try and win the game
It's laughable how people get so upset so quickly and launch in a diatribe of profanities and unrelated nonsense over a difference of opinion Whatever happened to I don't agree with what you say but will defend your right to say it?
Although..Rajan has gone overboard with the personal remarks against me..I forgive him. He's not an exception. Some others too let loose, but not to such an extent. Most are very touchy when it comes to the master " blaster ".
Luzlers ! Thanks for the laugh Rajan. :haha::haha::haha:Let us just say' date=' I admire a more attacking brand of test cricket...you got a problem with that ?[/quote'] ....as long as you dont insult a batsman's effort of scoring a very important hundred as pathetic, just because the scoring rate was in 50-54. any cricket fan who knows his cricket would vaue the hundreds scored by Sachin and Laxman in the Kolkotta test. their contribution was invaluable, calling their effort as pathetic is either stupid or blind prejudice, or in your case both! just because you add a few chaddis and twists and smileys, you cant defend your remark of calling their effort in kolkotta as pathetic. India collapsed from 192-3 to 230 in Nagpur after Sehwag got out in the 1st innings. In the second, from a similar 192-4 situation, we failed to bat longer after SRT got out. That shows clearly that you cant depend on Badri, Dhoni & the tail to see the team to safety. Sehwag was in his zone but he barely requires 1 delivery to commit an error in judgment.the bowling was certainly good with steyn and Morkel operating at around 90 mph all the time.India was in a must win situation to stay on as #1 in the world. Sehwag already had a reprieve of Morkel by Duminy.India was 90-2 and still not out of the woods.what do you expect SRT to do? should he take a "i dont care how precarious my team's situation is! I will go bang, bang"? That would be irresponsible batting by an experienced player. He knuckled down and played a superb innings and forged an invaluable partnership with Sehwag. Again if you know proper test cricket and the true meaning of partnerships, then you may realise that both batsmen need not go Hammer and Tongs at the bowling all the time. what was important was to ensure the team gets in to an absolutely safe position. Thats what Sachin did after he saw Sehwag got his 2nd life when DeVilliers missed an easy stumping. SRT was 75 off 123 balls at that time and decided to slow down.That is sensible test match batting. later Laxman and Dhoni accomplished the aim mainly because of the platform provided by SRT and Sehwag. All these are basic points when you observe a cricket test as a fan but if you are full of prejudice and deeply biased about a particular batsman, then you would only come up with such cheap ones like- "pathetic strike rate" about superb performances! that happens only when you lead a miserable life and your responses and remarks about Sachin in other threads too confirm that psycho mentality. when we are discussing about your pethate, let me add this too:Whether you like or not, SRT would open the batting in one dayers, he has such a staggering record and is anyday a better one day opening batsman than Gambhir. he deserves to open. you can go cry your eyes out.He is a great cricketer. whatever you can call him, it makes no difference to the man and his achievements but You would continue to burn and get acidity and lose sleep about SRT's performances in the near future! You need to meet up a shrink to get out of this SRT phobia, that will ruin your health.if you are honest, you would know i am talking the truth.this levels of bitterness is already making u live a miserable life. To prove a point about 'pathetic' scoring rate helping teams to win important tests, just rewind to the last test: Jallis and Amla scored 340 in partnership spread over 106 overs, with Kallis scoring 170 odd of 350 balls @ less than 50 SR. Amla's first hundred was off 203 balls. more than the batting scoring rate(not strike rate for your kind information) the bowler's won the match for them with a day to spare. But when you are blinded by hatred for a player, facts obviously dont help. and i am not a mumbaikar, am a bangalorean and am proud to be a fan of indian cricketers and team. I love the Team from #1 to #11.
It's laughable how people get so upset so quickly and launch in a diatribe of profanities and unrelated nonsense over a difference of opinion Whatever happened to I don't agree with what you say but will defend your right to say it?
Lets settle this first before we proceed any further ... when we were staring at a scorecard of 107/4 against your beloved "Bangbros"... you expect him to simply throw his wkt away as they are useless opposition and it would be beneath him to score runs against such a team ?
What's there to settle man ? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:. You may try however you want to deflect/defend from his King Louis XII feasts against his beloved Bangbros whichever way you want, by assuming the worst of circumstances. I prefer to ignore Bangladesh, because they are so poor, they don't matter. They have never beaten anybody in test cricket apart from Mugabe XI and West Indies D team.
....as long as you dont insult a batsman's effort of scoring a very important hundred as pathetic, just because the scoring rate was in 50-54. any cricket fan who knows his cricket would vaue the hundreds scored by Sachin and Laxman in the Kolkotta test. their contribution was invaluable, calling their effort as pathetic is either stupid or blind prejudice, or in your case both! just because you add a few chaddis and twists and smileys, you cant defend your remark of calling their effort in kolkotta as pathetic. India collapsed from 192-3 to 230 in Nagpur after Sehwag got out in the 1st innings. In the second, from a similar 192-4 situation, we failed to bat longer after SRT got out. That shows clearly that you cant depend on Badri, Dhoni & the tail to see the team to safety. Sehwag was in his zone but he barely requires 1 delivery to commit an error in judgment.the bowling was certainly good with steyn and Morkel operating at around 90 mph all the time.India was in a must win situation to stay on as #1 in the world. Sehwag already had a reprieve of Morkel by Duminy.India was 90-2 and still not out of the woods.what do you expect SRT to do? should he take a "i dont care how precarious my team's situation is! I will go bang, bang"? That would be irresponsible batting by an experienced player. He knuckled down and played a superb innings and forged an invaluable partnership with Sehwag. Again if you know proper test cricket and the true meaning of partnerships, then you may realise that both batsmen need not go Hammer and Tongs at the bowling all the time. what was important was to ensure the team gets in to an absolutely safe position. Thats what Sachin did after he saw Sehwag got his 2nd life when DeVilliers missed an easy stumping. SRT was 75 off 123 balls at that time and decided to slow down.That is sensible test match batting. later Laxman and Dhoni accomplished the aim mainly because of the platform provided by SRT and Sehwag. All these are basic points when you observe a cricket test as a fan but if you are full of prejudice and deeply biased about a particular batsman, then you would only come up with such cheap ones like- "pathetic strike rate" about superb performances! that happens only when you lead a miserable life and your responses and remarks about Sachin in other threads too confirm that psycho mentality. when we are discussing about your pethate, let me add this too:Whether you like or not, SRT would open the batting in one dayers, he has such a staggering record and is anyday a better one day opening batsman than Gambhir. he deserves to open. you can go cry your eyes out.He is a great cricketer. whatever you can call him, it makes no difference to the man and his achievements but You would continue to burn and get acidity and lose sleep about SRT's performances in the near future! You need to meet up a shrink to get out of this SRT phobia, that will ruin your health.if you are honest, you would know i am talking the truth.this levels of bitterness is already making u live a miserable life. and i am not a mumbaikar, am a bangalorean and am proud to be a fan of indian cricketers and team. I love the Team from #1 to #11.
LOL...your knickers getting twisted a few more inches out of sheer madness ? Not even bothered reading your cr@p, after seeing it littered with yet more abusive personal marks. You don't deserve any further response, till you sort out your knickers and whatever is causing them to twist so embarrassingly for you that you have to litter every post with abuse, exposing your frail mentality.
because based on my understanding of test cricket there is a very fundamental difference between batting 1st and batting 2nd ... while batting 1st your aim is to put as many runs on board whereas in the other case the approach depends on what the opposition has already put on board. Hence the reason for bi-furcating the two. Iam sure you have a different theory .... but as always Iam willing to be corrected. PS: There is no point in patronizing me. TIA
I see. My understanding is a little less devious and far less opportunistic. My understanding is that the 1st innings as a whole is very very important ( includes batting first or second - which you apparently think deserves bifurcation, to suit your needs) and that you must score maximum in that to avoid scoring more runs later as pitches deteriorate and scoring becomes more difficult. My understanding is also that, scoring alot of runs batting 2nd in 1st innings is even more crucial because your team would have to bat last, when the pitch is at it's worst. I hope I have been able to add to your understanding of test cricket. :winky:
Is that why there have been a grand total of 3 test matches that a team has lost after putting up 500+ runs batting in the very first innings ? Even when teams have put up 400+ their chances of losing a test match are very slim.
More arguments in tangents. More clutching of straws. So because teams teams putting up big totals batting in the 1st innings don't lose a match often, batting second in the 1st innings is of less importance ? How often have you heard the need to bat BIG in the 1st innings when batting second to avoid chasing anything substantial on the 5th day /4th innings ? ( I assume , you have watched quiet a bit of cricket). Sorry to say, your argument makes zilch sense. ( I am sure even you are aware of it)
This is why the approach taken in 2nd match innings is dependent on whats on board unlike the first match innings where you are pretty much under no scoreboard pressure
. Wow..heard this logic for the first time. So according to you, if the opposition batting 1st in the 1st innings puts up a low total, your approach in this case should be to score low and if they put up a big total in the 1st innings batting 1st, your approach should be to also score big ? Is that what you mean by being dependent on whats on the board ? Very interesting indeed ! So far, I was under the impression that you must BAT BIG in the 1st innings ( even more important when you bat 2nd) to avoid the pressure of chasing when the pitch is at it's worse.
:wall: dependent does not mean directly proportional .... dependent means proceed based on what has already happened .... If I1=low total then bat big + bat fast if possible in I2 If I1=high total then take no risk in I2 and bat time because your chances of winning are slim whereas for I1 the only objective is to bat big.
:dash1: I see, so if I1 is high total, pull the shutters down in I2 and start batting time, even if it means that although chances of winning are slim it is essential to have a big I2 to save the game as you want to have the lowest possible I4. On that interesting thought of yours, Il sign off. :dash1:

Besides you all are missing one simple point. As long as you're comparing against SRT, everything else doesn't matter at all. Every tom dick and harry is better than SRT in some way and another, may be one runs faster, may be one scored more in a series, may be one gets more wickets, may be one drops more catches. Get over it. SRT sucks and plays for money.

Just like comparing Amir/SRK with Amitabh .. yeah 3 idiots have more box office collection than PAA but when you talk records of Amitabh then we have to start with Saat Hindusthani to PAA and absolute dominating period from Janzeer to Who want to Millionaires ..