Modi had planned for DLF IPL in 1995!

abhinav

KOLKATA: People came to know about the Indian Premier League in 2008, but Lalit Modi conceived it many years ago. The IPL commissioner floated the concept Indian Cricket League Ltd (ICL) in 1995, when the T20 concept was not the in-thing in cricket. What’s more, Modi floated seven city-based companies — ICL-Bombay, ICL-Delhi, ICL-Calcutta, ICL-Bangalore, ICL-Hyderabad, ICL-Madras and ICL-Gwalior — a model that was later picked up by corporates. When the IPL started, the only change in this model was replacing IPL-Gwalior with IPL-Rajasthan that is now in the thick of controversy. Modi’s company ICL is still alive, though the city-based companies wound up in 2007. The ICL in its latest director’s report states: ‘‘The company has not carried out any activity during the year. However, the company is examining different areas of sports for future activities.’’ ICL is one among the 22 companies of which Modi is director. Tax officials have questioned Modi about his intent in floating such a company. They’ve also got to know about ICL’s holding company, Home Communication Network Ltd, and scanned the credentials of the directors. The holding company has six directors other than Lalit Modi, namely K K Modi, Samir Modi, Sanjay Kumar Gupta, Deepa Palekar, Jagadish Kotian. The reason for scanning is to find out whether any of these persons has any link with the betting racket. The team in Kolkata is examining the papers and computer discs seized during search operations at CAB office at the Eden Gardens and some other places in the city. On Friday, the CAB sent the original contract between the CAB and Knight Riders Sports over the holding of the IPL matches at the Eden Gardens. Revenue officials were keen on getting a copy of this document because they have come to know that some people watched the matches from the ‘‘super-hospitality block’’ as guests without apparently having valid tickets. Officials wonder how the CAB allowed such persons within the enclosure.

This is truly amazing. To have thought and planned for franchise based cricket that far back is some foresight. He does deserve a lot of credit!
But BCCI turned a blind eye to it until someone kicked it up its **** which was ICL.

Where are the "IPL was a robbed idea of ICL excuted" people gone now? This guy is a friggin genius. One mistake does not wash away all his good-doings. @Tapioca... only LM can answer that. Or we can guess that the copyright's weren't in place.

This is truly amazing. To have thought and planned for franchise based cricket that far back is some foresight. He does deserve a lot of credit!
Thank you abhinav. Most appreciated. It's people like you that need to speak up about my qualities and contributions to cricket and entertainment as a whole. In fact, 20/20 was my idea that was copied later by the English. I had this vision during a starry night, and I am glad to bring this exciting game for all the people.
Interesting. Wonder why he didn't sue Zee's ICL for copyright violation though' date=' or why this was never mentioned during that time.[/quote']
Where are the "IPL was a robbed idea of ICL excuted" people gone now? This guy is a friggin genius. One mistake does not wash away all his good-doings. @Tapioca... only LM can answer that. Or we can guess that the copyright's weren't in place.
Zee copied my plans. However, they were not successful, and with time, justice was delivered. They are non-existent now, and many of their players hurried back to play in the DLF IPL. We were great full in taking the players back, and we also allowed many of the players to return to international cricket. We are most concerned with providing the people with the best entertainment possible. Sometimes this means we have to put aside petty differences, and look after for the good of the people. We didn't pursue a legal battle with Zee on this front because we knew that their model would eventually fail without the international stars, and the support that YOU fans provide. This is what makes IPL such a great sporting event. Lalit Modi Chairman and Commissioner of the DLF Indian Premier League

Thank you abhinav. Most appreciated. It's people like you that need to speak up about my qualities and contributions to cricket and entertainment as a whole. In fact' date=' 20/20 was my idea that was copied later by the English. [b']I had this vision during a starry night, and I am glad to bring this exciting game for all the people.
oh hai, proof of involvement in the usage of drugs :hehe:

Thank you abhinav. Most appreciated. It's people like you that need to speak up about my qualities and contributions to cricket and entertainment as a whole. In fact, 20/20 was my idea that was copied later by the English. I had this vision during a starry night, and I am glad to bring this exciting game for all the people. Zee copied my plans. However, they were not successful, and with time, justice was delivered. They are non-existent now, and many of their players hurried back to play in the DLF IPL. We were great full in taking the players back, and we also allowed many of the players to return to international cricket. We are most concerned with providing the people with the best entertainment possible. Sometimes this means we have to put aside petty differences, and look after for the good of the people. We didn't pursue a legal battle with Zee on this front because we knew that their model would eventually fail without the international stars, and the support that YOU fans provide. This is what makes IPL such a great sporting event. Lalit Modi Chairman and Commissioner of the DLF Indian Premier League
Well done Mr Wicket. :hatsoff: