Are you in the right occupation

Rajiv

Guest dada_rocks
She is right Lurker... somehow in 11th and 12th grade you tend to see what your interests are... though I decided about my computer science before 10th
See even this decision is shaped by existing under-current of society.. These days majority of the guys/gals will say his/her love is computer science and there was a time when majority used to put civil engg under favourite branch section.

That is how it should be Apo, except it didnt work like that for me. In fact I would say it does not work like that for most students, atleast a lot of them. See in India if you get into Engineering via competitive exams then what stream you pick is dependent on your rank. And generally most of us want the "sexy" branch - Comp, Electronics, Mechanical etc. And that too in the college of our choice. So it is not unexpected that a person gets a branch even though he didnt want it. For me it was a different case, aise muhn uthaaye pahoonch gaya tha counselling mein.
yes its true that most students decide the branch on the basis of rank... but now things are changing... I know many of my friends who did not take computer science just because they qualified for it on the basis of their rank

See even this decision is shaped by existing under-current of society.. These days majority of the guys/gals will say his/her love is computer science and there was a time when majority used to put civil engg under favourite branch section.
True. Going back to my Mech Engg picking. At the time Computer Science was in infancy at RIT. New branch, new teacher. Noone wanted to join. First Mechanical & Eletronics got filled then people went to Comp Science.

It worked like this. I wanted to get into IAF, so passed NDA and then left it. This happened in XIIth. Like most guys my age I had filled Engg exams forms and so I took them. Got a decent rank in State and then had to appear at Counselling. It was then that it struck me I had to pick a branch too. At that time I didnt want to leave Bihar, neither did parents, so decided to go for RIT Jamshedpur. Mech Engg was great there so I became a Mechanical Engg from RIT. Essentially I gave the exams without thinking which branch I shall pick. xxx
Oh okie, so you did select the branch before you joined college. Cool. But dont you think it will be nice if all the students who joined Engg attended same the classes for the first year and had the option of deciding their stream of engg at the beginning of 2nd year ?

Guest dada_rocks
It worked like this. I wanted to get into IAF, so passed NDA and then left it. This happened in XIIth. Like most guys my age I had filled Engg exams forms and so I took them. Got a decent rank in State and then had to appear at Counselling. It was then that it struck me I had to pick a branch too. At that time I didnt want to leave Bihar, neither did parents, so decided to go for RIT Jamshedpur. Mech Engg was great there so I became a Mechanical Engg from RIT. Essentially I gave the exams without thinking which branch I shall pick. xxx
meet our resident deshdrohi:haha:.. Those idiots of SSB didn't pass me in interview, anyway their loss:D

it is still there DR... people who like to do civil engineering are still there

Guest dada_rocks
Oh okie, so you did select the branch before you joined college. Cool. But dont you think it will be nice if all the students who joined Engg attended same the classes for the first year and had the option of deciding their stream of engg at the beginning of 2nd year ?
That would be great:two_thumbs_up:

Guest dada_rocks
it is still there DR... people who like to do civil engineering are still there
Not many overwhelming majority once used to pine for civil engg that's not the case..Now that position has gone to CS/EE etc

meet our resident deshdrohi:haha:..
Abbe deshdrohi kahe ka. PABT(Pilot, Aptitude and Battery Test) comlete kiya tha during interview. At that time(maybe aaj bhi aisa hi ho) if you passed that exam once you need not take it again. Varanasi mein jhanda uthaa ke gaya tha. Good times.
But dont you think it will be nice if all the students who joined Engg attended same the classes for the first year and had the option of deciding their stream of engg at the beginning of 2nd year ?
Yes of course. But it will mean that students will have to study hard even after they competed the Engineering(atleast in first year). Who wants that? Not me :haha:

Not many overwhelming majority once used to pine for civil engg that's not the case..Now that position has gone to CS/EE etc
slowly it is increasing again becoz of many companies in private sector MM: The first semester of each engineering course is same whether you are doing Computer Science or Mech How do you think it will help in deciding where do you want to go?

slowly it is increasing again becoz of many companies in private sector MM: The first semester of each engineering course is same whether you are doing Computer Science or Mech How do you think it will help in deciding where do you want to go?
Yes Apo,it was the same for us, the first sem was common. And how do i think that will help us? Simple, first year students will get a chance to interact with seniors who have already chosen their streams , get to know more about the course-work the content etc and it will place them in a better position to decide which stream fits their interests and skill sets better. When i finished my12th, I had absolutely no idea about what to expect from engineering and i chose Electrical And Electronics Engg because it was popular and considered safe. Now, looking back, I wish i had that one year to look around and decide which stream of engg could have fit me better.

Yes Apo,it was the same for us, the first sem was common. And how do i think that will help us? Simple, first year students will get a chance to interact with seniors who have already chosen their streams , get to know more about the course-work the content etc and it will place them in a better position to decide which stream fits their interests and skill sets better. When i finished my12th, I had absolutely no idea about what to expect from engineering and i chose Electrical And Electronics Engg because it was popular and considered safe. Now, looking back, I wish i had that one year to look around and decide which stream of engg could have fit me better.
You can talk to seniors then also when you are in 12th grade. I have followed that path in my 11th and 12th grade. It is because in 11th and 12th you tend to consolidate the basics in Sciences like Physics, Chemistry and Maths and Computers. So when you go for an engineering program, you dont waste one year of it just determining which stream is good for you.

Guest dada_rocks
Abbe deshdrohi kahe ka. PABT(Pilot, Aptitude and Battery Test) comlete kiya tha during interview. At that time(maybe aaj bhi aisa hi ho) if you passed that exam once you need not take it again. Varanasi mein jhanda uthaa ke gaya tha. Good times. Yes of course. But it will mean that students will have to study hard even after they competed the Engineering(atleast in first year). Who wants that? Not me :haha:
Main bhi Varanasi mein exam de chuka hun.. PABT hamne bhi paas kiya hai.. wo ak dot ko sala control karna tha ak computer screen pe square mein:haha:.... to final nod nahin mila PABt pe hi ruk gaye..?? Wo sala task kya ulta sidha dete hain fir situational plan fir psychology test.. ( I was told psychology test mein question ke particular answer hai wo expect karte hain wo log aur iske liye coaching institute hota hai otherwise u will screwing it up whihc most probably I did).. Sala Brigadier koi Jha tha Bihari hi hoga hamse poochhata hai interview mein . Well Mr Anil Kumar how much dowry are you going to get if u get selected..:hysterical:.. ham usi samay samjha gaye in salon ne le li meri ak bar fir se.. fir orientation mein bolta hai u may become scientist but u are not fit for this job:cry_smile: Cantt station ke pichhe tha SSB interview site near platform number 11 or 12

Guest dada_rocks

Well I had idead what I wanted and that was NDA , engg was compromise soln. kahte hain na " Kabhi kisi ko muqammal jehan nahin milta"

Main bhi Varanasi mein exam de chuka hun.. PABT hamne bhi paas kiya hai.. wo ak dot ko sala control karna tha ak computer screen pe square mein:haha:.... to final nod nahin mila PABt pe hi ruk gaye..?? Wo sala task kya ulta sidha dete hain fir situational plan fir psychology test.. ( I was told psychology test mein question ke particular answer hai wo expect karte hain wo log aur iske liye coaching institute hota hai otherwise u will screwing it up whihc most probably I did).. Sala Brigadier koi Jha tha Bihari hi hoga hamse poochhata hai interview mein . Well Mr Anil Kumar how much dowry are you going to get if u get selected..:hysterical:.. ham usi samay samjha gaye in salon ne le li meri ak bar fir se.. fir orientation mein bolta hai u may become scientist but u are not fit for this job:cry_smile: Cantt station ke pichhe tha SSB interview site near platform number 11 or 12
Hahahaha..Yes indeed mast interview situation tha. Pahle din, actually raat, mein campfire ke around bithaya ek circle mein sabko. The host of the night was a Major or something. Jyaada age nahin tha, kuch hoga 35-40 lekin mast impressive banda tha. Anyway introductions done kuch to 10 minute tak he said what we would have to do the next day and all. Then sat down, relaxed on a big rock, lit a cigarette, took a massive puff then says in a hush tone - "Ab jo main tumhein batane jaa reha hoon woh life mein hamesha kaam aayega so listen very attentively". **Tharki alert *** There is a pin drop silence now. People are anticipating something major, shayad kuch aisa bole jo next day question mein aaye etc. He moves towards the fire, looks at every guy right in the eyes and says - "Larki kitni bhi khoobsurat ho, batti jaane ke baad sab ek jaisi ho jaati hai". :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Seriously that was the time it hit me ke NDA interview dene aaya hoon. All the mindblock were blown away, fultoo masti times.

Guest dada_rocks

Talking of tharak Maine pahli war NDA interview mein nude ladkiyon ke picture dekha tha.. sala ak banda debonair leke aaya tha.. Main ganwaar looking hair-tuft ( tiki) wearing guy he thought I might not have seen these things so comes at night to my bed shows me those nudy pictures.. Main intrview khak dunga sala dimag mein wahi sab ghumata raha.. poori raat baith ke maine sara debonair mag dala.... Ak se ak gande jokes .. Was quite an experience for me..:haha:.. PS: Jisko batti bujhane ki aadat na ho uska kya:cantstop:

You can talk to seniors then also when you are in 12th grade. I have followed that path in my 11th and 12th grade. It is because in 11th and 12th you tend to consolidate the basics in Sciences like Physics' date=' Chemistry and Maths and Computers. So when you go for an engineering program, you dont waste one year of it just determining which stream is good for you.[/quote'] How many high-school kids will be resourceful enough to go talk to college guys ? Atleast i wasnt. and the more pertinent point is, we must get to know the course-work of any degree before we choose it. It is one thing to like computers, but you may end up totally disliking comp-sci courses. The good thing about Masters in the US is that you get to choose your courses. But that isnt the case with B.E. So, that one year would have given us the chance to interact with seniors and learn more about the coursework.

Well you should inquire about something which is going to affect your career. No one will come to you and tell that this stream is good or bad. Course work is already available on the website. So if you do not like the coursework in your first year will you drop out? It is somewhat good in India we have strict rules in B.E. so that we do not have any option of selecting the courses till the final year. Perhaps you tend to do your Engineering in more controlled environment