Are Indians rude, uncivil and thoughtless?

head coach

We do it all the time. Spitting at people, on buildings, across staircases, in temples and mosques. It is a common sight in our 'great' cities to see nattily dressed men get down from swanky cars to urinate all over the roadside. Yes, we are a rude people. But there is a more insidious dimension to such behaviour. It becomes a problem when it is institutionalised and the police, politicians, bank babus, bureaucrats, doctors and army officers feel it is their fundamental right to be rude, if not violent. The worst of the lot are our police. They have made an art out of victimising victims. They don't lodge FIRs, especially if they are attempted to be filed by the poor and lower castes. Just try to get a good bargain from the goonish auto-rickshaw guys to get a taste of this....

Re: Are Indians rude, uncivil and thoughtless?

its because India does not have strict fines. Fine se accha log rishvat dete hai
Read that Kerala recently banned spitting in public places. Not sure how its getting implemented. They had also banned smoking in public places before. Howz it in other parts of the country? can you smoke on a train or in bus station?

Re: Are Indians rude, uncivil and thoughtless? No. Smoking is banned in public places. And it is being effective. It takes time for things to be effective in a country with a population like India HC: Your all threads are in a way trying to prove that India is inferior to US or European countries. You are forgetting a fact that we got independence 60 yrs ago while US got it more than 225 yrs back Is it on a same benchmark to compare? I dont know why you are really ashamed of being called as an Indian

HC: Your all threads are in a way trying to prove that India is inferior to US or European countries. You are forgetting a fact that we got independence 60 yrs ago while US got it more than 225 yrs back Is it on a same benchmark to compare? I dont know why you are really ashamed of being called as an Indian
That's just your assumption. I dont consider India inferior to another rich country or feel a sense of upwardness when compared with another developing country. You have to understand that a Paradigm for Progress is an incisive analysis of the problems facing India in its political, social and economical structure. You are right we have achieved a whole lot in these 60 years but my friend we got miles to go and to attain the level that you are expecting a dour assessment of itself is much needed. You may not like to hear the truth but if we spit anywhere or if we shout to each other on flights or if we insist on using our cell phones loudly in public places, we are exhibiting our horrible manners. Therefore I strongly believe that we got to grab every opportunity that comes our way to educate and empower people to live a better life. Now to answer your question about being an Indian. Some of the Indians feel that they have been exploited. Some Fear or hate the neighbour. I dont belong to both these groups! "Don?t pour out your anger on somebody, but write it down to find a solution, and commit yourself to that solution" - Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Are Indians rude, uncivil and thoughtless? We certainly need to move towards a classless society where everyone is equal. It's almost ingrained in people to order and boss around the daily wagers like servants,drivers,rickshaw walas etc. Apne baap ka naukar samajhte hain log in logon ko. On the hole though, I don't think we are a rude,uncivil and thoughtless people. We are an incredibly patient and courteous country.

ok I know that tere ko samjhana bhains ke been bajane jaisa hai par phir bhi I will
Your reply and attitude relates well to the subject that we are discussing! No more explanation needed!
Thank you for understanding my attitude. Your ideas of negative threads is not going to affect any of us here

Guest dada_rocks

We do it all the time. Spitting at people' date= on buildings, across staircases, in temples and mosques. It is a common sight in our 'great' cities to see nattily dressed men get down from swanky cars to urinate all over the roadside. Yes, we are a rude people. But there is a more insidious dimension to such behaviour. It becomes a problem when it is institutionalised and the police, politicians, bank babus, bureaucrats, doctors and army officers feel it is their fundamental right to be rude, if not violent. The worst of the lot are our police. They have made an art out of victimising victims. They don't lodge FIRs, especially if they are attempted to be filed by the poor and lower castes. Just try to get a good bargain from the goonish auto-rickshaw guys to get a taste of this....
exaggeration and yes why do u need a bragain from rickshaw walah pay the poor chap.... i am sure u must tip those witresses and taxi drivers here but when it comes to rickshaw walah back home suddenly bargaining copmes into picture