FIFA WC 2010: Argentina Supporters Thread

Malcolm Merlyn

I am no expert of football, but didn't Pele play more often as a striker/forward whereas Maradona as an attacking midfielder/playmaker? In that sense just comparing their goals doesn't make sense as even Klose, a very good player but by no means a great, would have a better goal ratio per match than Maradona.

Prof said what i was about to say..... 1.Maradona was an attacking Midfielder where as Pele was an out and out striker so the goal ratio is a futile exercise.If such a comparision is made then,Klose will own Lothar matthaus Franz beuken Bauer Platini Zidane and company anyday. 2.Pele's 1200+ goals also include friendlies he played for his clubs. 3.Pele never played in Europe,while maradona played successfully in europe as well as in South America. 4.Those claiming Pele won 3 WCs.Here is a fact,he was injured in his 2nd game in the 1962 WC and was replaced.He was given the 1962 medal by FIFA in 2007 retroactively. so the third WC was won only 2 years ago and after 45 years after the original tournament andsome 30+ years after he retired. The golden ball for the 1958 WC was given to DIDI the Brazilian Midfielder who also was the part of the 1962 WC winning team.Garrincha won the golden ball in 1962. So in 1958 he wasnt the best Brazilian player let alone the best in tournament. Pele played 2 finals in the WC and won both supported by a wonderfully talented team of geniuses. Maradona played 2 finals in the WC,took his team to the finals and won it single handedly. This is what a footballer had to say about Maradona.I dont know how good this footballer was,but just look at the video,see if you think he has enough footballing knowledge. 0-Qgh-hjcDw

I don't want to get involved in this lame Pele v Maradona discussion...but to say Grosso didn't contribute to the success of Italy in 2006 takes the cake for me. He scored a frigging goal against Germany in the semis and the all important penalty vs France in the final. If that's not a telling contribution, I don't know what is.

I don't want to get involved in this lame Pele v Maradona discussion...but to say Grosso didn't contribute to the success of Italy in 2006 takes the cake for me. He scored a frigging goal against Germany in the semis and the all important penalty vs France in the final. If that's not a telling contribution, I don't know what is.
and before all that he fell over Lucas Neill to win the penalty that knocked us out. :mad:

Enough said about Others. Pele was the greatest ever to have played the game, not just me if we go by "Football Experts". Twisting stats and facts can make Miroslav Klose look as good as Maradona. Many of the "Younger Generation" who havent seen Pele play first look at his videos and then make comparisions. He was way ahead of Mardona, not just in terms of Stats, expert opinions but also in terms of his ability with the ball. Thats why he was the greatest ever to have played the game.

Enough said about Others. Pele was the greatest ever to have played the game' date= not just me if we go by "Football Experts". Twisting stats and facts can make Miroslav Klose look as good as Maradona.
"George Best was the greatest player in the world" - PELE , WHEN ASKED WHO HE THOUGHT WAS THE GREATEST
Pele - I think was not a "Football Expert".

that still acorrding to you doesnt make him a "Footbal Expert" :hehe:
Am not here to give my opinion on who is Football Expert and who is not, My point is Pele is the greatest ever to have played the game. If you have anything to add , go forward. Dont derail the topic .

Am not here to give my opinion on who is Football Expert and who is not' date=' My point is Pele is the greatest ever to have played the game. If you have anything to add , go forward. [b']Dont derail the topic .
:hysterical: Pot calling the kettle black??? This thread was about supporting Argentina not if Pele was the greatest footballer that ever played.

:hysterical: Pot calling the kettle black??? This thread was about supporting Argentina not if Pele was the greatest footballer that ever played.
It seems you are turning a blind eye..:haha: Do take the pain of who started making Mardona v/s Pele comparisions.
Maradona owns pele any day. Read this and judge for yourself: http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-109990.0.html
That thread has been exclusively reserved for you and your footballing knowledge......and gems from you like... 1.What has Maradona done except winning a WC? 2.Club football is above the WC. etc etc etc
:giggle:

Dont waste time KP.He will keep harping it.When he couldnt find a player in Man utd and england's history to be compared to Maradona,he has gone back to Pele. @ANDY:your point may be anything doesnt mean people have to agree to it.Many footballing experts feel Maradona is the greatest ever footballer. Maradona was voted the greatest player in 2000 FIFA polls. For the Fans of the DIEGO watch this jk-kXwjASEE

Dont waste time KP.He will keep harping it.When he couldnt find a player in Man utd and england's history to be compared to Maradona' date='he has gone back to Pele.[/quote'] That is utter BS. Where comes England from. It seems some English players has ********** leave dont wanna say more. As far as Man United player is concerned players like Goerge Best and Charlton pawns your any Real Madrid Legend anyday. So when someone said Mardona beter than Pele i came up with my arguement. Which i have every right for. This is a public forum and i have right to give my opinion.
@ANDY:your point may be anything doesnt mean people have to agree to it.Many footballing experts feel Maradona is the greatest ever footballer.
So is Pele. Have you ever heard any Football Expert calling Maradona beter than Pele?
Maradona was voted the greatest player in 2000 FIFA polls.
So was Pele.

That is utter BS. Where comes England from. It seems some English players has ********** leave dont wanna say more. As far as Man United player is concerned players like Goerge Best and Charlton pawns your any Real Madrid Legend anyday.
Charlton and Best pawn Di Stefano Puskas Zidane
So when someone said Mardona beter than Pele i came up with my arguement. Which i have every right for. This is a public forum and i have right to give my opinion.
yes yes go ahead.
So is Pele. Have you ever heard any Football Expert calling Maradona beter than Pele? So was Pele.
Pele was given that award after Pele fans made a furore that Maradona won the award.Dont believe me,Google is your friend.

Charlton and Best pawn Di Stefano Puskas Zidane yes yes go ahead. Pele was given that award after Pele fans made a furore that Maradona won the award.Dont believe me,Google is your friend.
Let me tell you something about Internet voting. Mardona won by that. If today voting polls are made between two players one from past and one from present. Naturully the younger competitor will pawn them elder one in terms of voting. The number of Young Voters makes the differance. As you said Bradman and SRT. And all have their opinion. Same goes for me too. I have my opinion and you have yours. You cant force it on others.