Should Rahul Dravid retire now???

I agree with OP. If he fails to score something substantial today,he should not be part of the squad to England. Not even a single hundred in the last 24 matches outside India and Bangladesh! How could you justify that for your number three batsman who's supposedly given a long rope because of his ability to perform against tough opponents under tough conditions?

Just as i agree with urbestfriend, yoda and Zodiac at the same time i must say we need to look forward to Someone who can be dependent at No 3. Dravid is the major reason why we are collapsing too often this days. A team's Batting sucess and Failure are highly dependent on the Batting Position of 3 and 4.

I agree with OP. If he fails to score something substantial today' date='he should not be part of the squad to England. Not even a single hundred in the last 24 matches outside India and Bangladesh! How could you justify that for your number three batsman who's supposedly given a long rope because of his ability to perform against tough opponents under tough conditions?[/quote'] Exactly,since the Jamaica test 2006 ,he hasnt done anything of note overseas and even in sub-continental conditions has been below par,over the last 3-4 years we can count many memorable(match winning and match saving) innings by Sehwag,Laxman,Sach and Gauti under pressure but one fails to find that type of innings from Dravid,the same Dravid who used to be known as a player for difficult conditions. So it is not the time to get emotional about Dravid the legend,he will always be one of our greatest batsman but we should be realistic and accept the fact if he fails even today in a pressure situation then he should himself take a call and retire

Anyone have any clue as to why his performance in test matches as gone down after resigning as captain? I know he has scored occasionally but he def not the same rock solid Dravid. Maybe the bowlers are really good at exploiting his weakness of squaring up to deliveries. He used to play the ball so late before. Just seems like he is not waiting for the ball to come to him, rather just following the ball outside off.

177 92 at Perth 191
92 at Perth,only one inning of note in 4 years ,poor performance I say overall and about 177,I agree that time we were struggling against lankans but again you have come up with the couple of innings of note in 4 years and that too in India is not upto the mark for a player of Dravid's calibre
Anyone have any clue as to why his performance in test matches as gone down after resigning as captain? I know he has scored occasionally but he def not the same rock solid Dravid. Maybe the bowlers are really good at exploiting his weakness of squaring up to deliveries. He used to play the ball so late before. Just seems like he is not waiting for the ball to come to him, rather just following the ball outside off.
I do not know the exact reason, But have found difference in his Game from 200-2006 and 2006-2010. When he was in the form of his life he used to put the Half Volleys and other bad balls away, This days he is happy to sit back and defend them. May be thats a reason due to the confidence factor.
I do not know the exact reason' date=' But have found difference in his Game from 200-2006 and 2006-2010. When he was in the form of his life he used to put the Half Volleys and other bad balls away, This days he is happy to sit back and defend them. May be thats a reason due to the confidence factor.[/quote'] Most surprising part about his failures has been the way he has been getting out,chasing wide ones ,poking at balls outside stump and continously repeating it ,there hasnt been any improvement,its a great shame that he will be remembered as a bunny of a joke bowler like Johnson :--D
Most surprising part about his failures has been the way he has been getting out' date='chasing wide ones ,poking at balls outside stump and continously repeating it ,there hasnt been any improvement,its a great shame that he will be remembered as a bunny of a joke bowler like Johnson :--D[/quote'] Yes cannot believe its the same Dravid who used to Single Handedly secure our Position on Tours abroad from Home. Most of His Innings from 2002-2006 was absolute piece of Gem, I was a Huge Fan of Dravid those days and Personally used to Rate him ahead of SRT in Test Matches.
Yes cannot believe its the same Dravid who used to Single Handedly secure our Position on Tours abroad from Home. Most of His Innings from 2002-2006 was absolute piece of Gem' date=' I was a Huge Fan of Dravid those days and Personally used to Rate him ahead of SRT in Test Matches.[/quote'] Ya its gone all downhill since that WI tour which I keep reffering to,that was the last I saw Dravid the Wall :((
Its his reflexes' date=' they arent as sharp as they were, age being the most obvious reason. He is 38 now and probably will not get any better. So now we need two players, to fill the void left by Ganguly and Dravid. We haven't found either.[/quote'] Don't think we will get READYMADE players..They have to be tried, tested and groomed..