Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

ok so with HIIT do i need to do anything with the resistence levels?? i'm quite happy to forego biceps triceps (hate doing them anyway i guess i do them out of habit) i've been given the all clear following an MRI scan and according to the Dr's i'm fully healed, thankfully it wasnt invasive surgery plus it was over 6 months ago squats i guess i could get some help with just to get the technique right
As I said before, stay away from treadmill for high intensity stuff - for now. The additional 10kgs with all the thumping on the treadmill may not be good for knees. For HIIT - You will have to experiment a bit to know your 'high intensity' level. In next few sessions of regular cardio(cycling/elliptical) - after about 5-10 minutes into your cardio - increase the resistance and go as fast as you can for 30 seconds and then follow normal pace for 1-2 minutes. do this 3-4 times - increasing resistance everytime to a level so that you can not do more than 25-30 seconds. Within in few sessions you will know the optimum resistance/pace level that would be your high-intensity level for those 30-sec high-intensity periods of HIIT.

ok so with HIIT do i need to do anything with the resistence levels?? i'm quite happy to forego biceps triceps (hate doing them anyway i guess i do them out of habit) i've been given the all clear following an MRI scan and according to the Dr's i'm fully healed, thankfully it wasnt invasive surgery plus it was over 6 months ago squats i guess i could get some help with just to get the technique right
If you haven't done squats before, it is best to begin with no weights for the first couple of weeks and then move on to dumbbells and barbells. 1) Keep you hands outstretched in front of you. 2) keep you legs a little apart at around shoulder level 3) Now keeping you back straight at all times and your core tight, lower your body while bending you knees. 4) when you knees are at a 90 degree angle (thighs parallel to the ground),pause for a second or two. (Note: your knees should not exceed the line of your feet.Which means that your body weight has to be falling behind.The trick is to imagine yourself sitting on a chair.In fact you can use a chair initially) Once you get the balance, move on to dumbbells (5-10 lbs) .Repeat the same action with dumbbells by your side. Try barbells for variety.The hack squat as I had mentioned before is an effective exercise.

As I said before, stay away from treadmill for high intensity stuff - for now. The additional 10kgs with all the thumping on the treadmill may not be good for knees. For HIIT - You will have to experiment a bit to know your 'high intensity' level. In next few sessions of regular cardio(cycling/elliptical) - after about 5-10 minutes into your cardio - increase the resistance and go as fast as you can for 30 seconds and then follow normal pace for 1-2 minutes. do this 3-4 times - increasing resistance everytime to a level so that you can not do more than 25-30 seconds. Within in few sessions you will know the optimum resistance/pace level that would be your high-intensity level for those 30-sec high-intensity periods of HIIT.
:icflove: thx mate will give this a go!!

quick question guys, when you work out two body parts in the same day, do you usually finish one body part then move on to the next? or do you interchange them? For example ,let's say I'm doing Chest and Back (the following is taken from P90X). 1) Standard Width Pushups 2) Wide Front Pull ups 3) Wide Fly Pushups 4) Reverse Grip Chin ups 5) Military pushups (hands underneath shoulders) 6) Close width pullups 7) Diamond Pushups 8) Heavy Pants 9) Decline Pushups 10) Lawnmowers 11) Dive Bombber pushups 12) Back Flies I seem to like this better....but i heard of people just doing chest completely, then doing back

quick question guys, when you work out two body parts in the same day, do you usually finish one body part then move on to the next? or do you interchange them? For example ,let's say I'm doing Chest and Back (the following is taken from P90X). 1) Standard Width Pushups 2) Wide Front Pull ups 3) Wide Fly Pushups 4) Reverse Grip Chin ups 5) Military pushups (hands underneath shoulders) 6) Close width pullups 7) Diamond Pushups 8) Heavy Pants 9) Decline Pushups 10) Lawnmowers 11) Dive Bombber pushups 12) Back Flies I seem to like this better....but i heard of people just doing chest completely, then doing back
Alternating bodyparts will make you get it done faster. Also with opposite muscles at play your strength is not compromised at much. If you did all chest exercises one after the other your strength and energy will get fatiqued. 12 different exercises? How many sets are you doing? And how many reps? Looks a bit overkill to me.

If you haven't done squats before, it is best to begin with no weights for the first couple of weeks and then move on to dumbbells and barbells. 1) Keep you hands outstretched in front of you. 2) keep you legs a little apart at around shoulder level 3) Now keeping you back straight at all times and your core tight, lower your body while bending you knees. 4) when you knees are at a 90 degree angle (thighs parallel to the ground),pause for a second or two. (Note: your knees should not exceed the line of your feet.Which means that your body weight has to be falling behind.The trick is to imagine yourself sitting on a chair.In fact you can use a chair initially) Once you get the balance, move on to dumbbells (5-10 lbs) .Repeat the same action with dumbbells by your side. Try barbells for variety.The hack squat as I had mentioned before is an effective exercise.
thanks yoda esqu will give it a go

Alternating bodyparts will make you get it done faster. Also with opposite muscles at play your strength is not compromised at much. If you did all chest exercises one after the other your strength and energy will get fatiqued. 12 different exercises? How many sets are you doing? And how many reps? Looks a bit overkill to me.
Thanks Lurker...for sure. I used to do Chest completely, then Back (albeit with a MUCH easier set of exercises). 12 exercises...he splits it into two rounds (making it 24) one set of each. I guess that's why they call it P90 Extreme! He generally gives you about a minute to minute and half to do each exercise. No one usually lasts that long except for him (Tony Horton). Here are my Week 11 numbers (I suck at pullups. So I do as many as I can by myself, then I max out with my foot on a chair. So 3/6 means 3 pullups unassisted, 6 pullups assissted). To make it harder, I do a pullup negative, which is to get assistance going up, but then taking your foot off the chair to go down. For pushups, the / means I had to go on my knees 1) Standard Width Pushups - Round 1 - 30, Round 2 - 27 2) Wide Front Pull ups - Round 1 - 3/8, Round 2 - 2/8 3) Wide Fly Pushups - Round 1 - 27, Round 2 - 24 4) Reverse Grip Chin ups - Round 1 - 2/10, Round 2 - 1/8 5) Military pushups - Round 1 - 6/4, Round 2 - 4/6 6) Close width pullups- Round 1 - 1/8, Round 2 - 1/6 7) Diamond Pushups - Round 1 - 6/6, Round 2 - 4/8 8) Heavy Pants - Round 1 - 15 reps 25 lb, Round 2 - same 9) Decline Pushups - Round 1 - 14, Round 2 - 12 10) Lawnmowers - Round 1 - 15 reps 25 lb, Round 2 - same 11) Dive Bombber pushups - Round 1 - 7 Round 2 - 6 12) Back Flies - Round 1 - 15 reps 25 lb, Round 2 - same

Thanks Lurker...for sure. I used to do Chest completely, then Back (albeit with a MUCH easier set of exercises). 12 exercises...he splits it into two rounds (making it 24) one set of each. I guess that's why they call it P90 Extreme! He generally gives you about a minute to minute and half to do each exercise. No one usually lasts that long except for him (Tony Horton). Here are my Week 11 numbers (I suck at pullups. So I do as many as I can by myself, then I max out with my foot on a chair. So 3/6 means 3 pullups unassisted, 6 pullups assissted). To make it harder, I do a pullup negative, which is to get assistance going up, but then taking your foot off the chair to go down. For pushups, the / means I had to go on my knees 1) Standard Width Pushups - Round 1 - 30, Round 2 - 27 2) Wide Front Pull ups - Round 1 - 3/8, Round 2 - 2/8 3) Wide Fly Pushups - Round 1 - 27, Round 2 - 24 4) Reverse Grip Chin ups - Round 1 - 2/10, Round 2 - 1/8 5) Military pushups - Round 1 - 6/4, Round 2 - 4/6 6) Close width pullups- Round 1 - 1/8, Round 2 - 1/6 7) Diamond Pushups - Round 1 - 6/6, Round 2 - 4/8 8) Heavy Pants - Round 1 - 15 reps 25 lb, Round 2 - same 9) Decline Pushups - Round 1 - 14, Round 2 - 12 10) Lawnmowers - Round 1 - 15 reps 25 lb, Round 2 - same 11) Dive Bombber pushups - Round 1 - 7 Round 2 - 6 12) Back Flies - Round 1 - 15 reps 25 lb, Round 2 - same
Sounds brutal. How many weeks do you have to do this?

Sounds brutal. How many weeks do you have to do this?
It's a rotating schedule for 90 days, 13 weeks. Here's out it goes. 3 lifting days, 3 cardio days, 7th day off. Abs on the lifting days. Lifting days are about 75 minutes, Cardio days about an hour Weeks 1 -3 Day 1 - Chest and Back Day 2 - Plyometrics Day 3 - Shoulders and Arms Day 4 - Yoga Day 5 - Legs and Back Day 6 - Kenpo Week 4 - Recovery week Day 1 - Yoga Day 2 - Core Synergistic Day 3 - X Stretch Day 4 - Kenpo Day 5 - Core Day 6 - Yoga Week 5 - 7 Day 1 - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps Day 2 - Plyo Day 3 - Back and Biceps Day 4 - Yoga Day 5 - Legs and Back Day 6 - Kenpo Week 8 - Recovery, Week 4 Weeks 9 and 11 -> Week 1-3 Weeks 10 and 12 -> Week 5-7 Week 13 -> Week 4 It's brutal...but works! I can do a lot more pullups now. Six pack is still far away, i didn't follow the nutritional diet they provided, but I will for the next round. More importantly, my core strength has increased, and the Yoga has increased my flexibility. Give it a try lurks, I think you'll really like it

^^ That's much better. For a second I was worried you were doing those 12 exercises every day lol. Should have known better. That seems pretty formidable routine. I like the heavy week followed by a recovery week. Generally I throw in a full body exercise once a week with very little rest between sets so kinda like this conceptually obviously details are different. How are you liking it thus far?

^^ That's much better. For a second I was worried you were doing those 12 exercises every day lol. Should have known better. That seems pretty formidable routine. I like the heavy week followed by a recovery week. Generally I throw in a full body exercise once a week with very little rest between sets so kinda like this conceptually obviously details are different. How are you liking it thus far?
I like it a lot...gives me some structure, and it's very challenging. Tony Horton's really heavy on pullups, my biggest weakness, so it worked out well. It's just really long...sometimes taking an hour and a half. But once you start it's not too bad. I'm seeing good results and feeling stronger. And I like your full body thing with little rest...prolly burns a LOT of calories through resistance.

I like it a lot...gives me some structure, and it's very challenging. Tony Horton's really heavy on pullups, my biggest weakness, so it worked out well. It's just really long...sometimes taking an hour and a half. But once you start it's not too bad. I'm seeing good results and feeling stronger. And I like your full body thing with little rest...prolly burns a LOT of calories through resistance.
Pulls up are the ones that one can get real good at with practice. It is freaking hard and so people dont do it, me included. But once I sucked it up it starts coming up fast. Great exrecise, just watch for bicep tendons...you can screw it up. Full body is great, makes you pant like crazy and you also have the satisfaction of lifting weights. Maybe its just me but sometime bodyweight exercise, dips, pushups etc leave me feeling unsatisfied. The routine you mentioned above is obviously tough though

Pulls up are the ones that one can get real good at with practice. It is freaking hard and so people dont do it, me included. But once I sucked it up it starts coming up fast. Great exrecise, just watch for bicep tendons...you can screw it up. Full body is great, makes you pant like crazy and you also have the satisfaction of lifting weights. Maybe its just me but sometime bodyweight exercise, dips, pushups etc leave me feeling unsatisfied. The routine you mentioned above is obviously tough though
thanks for the tip boss Do you still weigh over 200 lb with the 8% body fat?

thanks for the tip boss Do you still weigh over 200 lb with the 8% body fat?
I am more in 190s now, body fat still around the same. Personally 190s works best for me, 200s were killing me. Loved the way I looked hated the way I felt..:((

Better to hire a trainer...he will know what exactly your body needs and will prepare a diet and exercise routine suitable for you. Do calculate your basic metabolic rate (BMR) to gauge how many calories your body is burning without doing anything. The normal basic metabolic range is between 1800-2200 for men. If you are consuming more than your BMR then you will put on weight. Alternating between weight lifting and cardio will help...i.e...one day cardio then the next day weight lifting. OR Weight lifting in the morning and cardio at night (keep at least a gap of 8 hrs between workouts) As mentioned earlier...HIIT works best when done right for 20 mins.

I have schwinn 431 elliptical rider and bodysolid EXM1500S total gym in my basement. I used to work out one muscle per day. Alternate day cardio. Nowadays i focus mainly on cardio. But as soon as i was done with gym i would mix 2 scoops of whey protein with juice and gulp.

Great! Also' date=' if you are serious - one of the best investment you can make for you (and your kid, family) is - get a Heart rate monitor ([url']http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products). It might look be a bit inconvenient to start with, but the one with straps+watch is best.
ok will look into that, what sort of heart rate are we looking at?? mine at my hardest is about 190 200?? but then thats on the naff heart rate monitors on the machines, also, how long should i be doing one HIIT session for?? i'm used to doing around an hour of interval training