Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

Is 160 lbs at 5'9 height overweight? :nervous:
No. It is not overweight. Your BMI is in the normal range. But that doesn't actually give you the true picture. Some people might have a big belly and still weigh less coz of lack of muscles. As long as your body fat is within certain range you are good.

Is 160 lbs at 5'9 height overweight? :nervous:
Do you feel overweight ? It all comes down a general sense of well being... If you have muscle, you will weigh more since muscle weighs more than fat. In that case, the height-weight ratio is pretty good (with anything less than 15% body fat)

No. It is not overweight. Your BMI is in the normal range. But that doesn't actually give you the true picture. Some people might have a big belly and still weigh less coz of lack of muscles. As long as your body fat is within certain range you are good.
Is there a test for body fat? I am not skinny but dont have a belly either. Somewhere in between...

I'm 32 :nervous:
Not bad. . But if you still don't want to gain weight rapidly. Few tips. 1) Never ever miss breakfast. This is one of the technique sumo wrestlers use to gain weight. They miss breakfast which increases the craving multifold and eats lot more than needed in the afternoon. 2) When you go to bed eat less especially carbohydrates (rice et al)> You practically don't do much after you eat in the night. So it is directly converted into fat. Substitute carb with Protein with a little bit of fat. 3) Eat small portions more times. Instead of having too much in one sitting give yourself time to digest. 4) Eating fruits make you feel full for long periods. Most of the fiber rich food can be like that 5) Reduction in simple carbs go a long way. Sugar, Rice. If you can't live without sugar try to reduce little by little. 6) Stay away from deep fried foods. Try to go for baked foods, broiled foods.

Not bad. . But if you still don't want to gain weight rapidly. Few tips. 1) Never ever miss breakfast. This is one of the technique sumo wrestlers use to gain weight. They miss breakfast which increases the craving multifold and eats lot more than needed in the afternoon. 2) When you go to bed eat less especially carbohydrates (rice et al)> You practically don't do much after you eat in the night. So it is directly converted into fat. Substitute carb with Protein with a little bit of fat. 3) Eat small portions more times. Instead of having too much in one sitting give yourself time to digest. 4) Eating fruits make you feel full for long periods. Most of the fiber rich food can be like that 5) Reduction in simple carbs go a long way. Sugar, Rice. If you can't live without sugar try to reduce little by little. 6) Stay away from deep fried foods. Try to go for baked foods, broiled foods.
Ganesh-Are you a Thair -Saadham? If so, stay away from Rice:winky:

Thanks :two_thumbs_up: I usually have bread for breakfast so I guess I should be cutting down on that. What is the best protein rich breakfast that is also easy to make (I am a bachelor and its easier to have something ready to eat)

Ganesh-Are you a Thair -Saadham? If so' date=' stay away from Rice:winky:[/quote'] :headshake: I eat chapati mostly.. just a handful of rice during lunch... but you are right - southies consume copious amounts of rice, some of my friends used to eat rice 3 times a day :omg: P.S: I think Gunner is a thayir saadam :secret:

Thanks :two_thumbs_up: I usually have bread for breakfast so I guess I should be cutting down on that. What is the best protein rich breakfast that is also easy to make (I am a bachelor and its easier to have something ready to eat)
-Have 6-7 Almonds , fat free milk,whole grain cereal and banana. -You could also have whole brown bread (2 slices) with omelette (1 yellow 3 whites) and wash it down with some fat free milk -Idlis arent bad (4 max) once in a while - Walnuts /raisins along with some fresh fruits and fat free milk again You can take a few liberties with what you eat at breakfast but stay on a short leash. Also 32" waist is not bad but it can get away from you once you are past 26-27 and after that its kinda difficult to control it.

I'm 32 :nervous:
hmm, then I can guess your fat% must be around 15-16%. Which is fine. You can get rough estimation yourself here, using simple height/waist/weight measurements. http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html Most accurate way to calculate bodyfat % at home is - using skinfold measurements. however, you can safely skip it for now. - unless you are working towards six-pack-in-three-months kind of goal. At your age and these stats, - this is the time to develop the right habits. Because, with the kind of sedentary life style for IT people, it is inevitable that you will gain weight..unless of course you are genetically gifted...and these habits will come in handy throughout your life. So, for now you can forget about losing weight (unless there is something bothering you about your body shape), get regular at some cardio activity - sports (squash/swimming/tennis etc.), running/ jogging, or cycling. Best is if you pick some goal - like -" have to run quarter/half marathon in 6 months"..that way you will get sense of achievement and your overall cardio health will be in supreme condition. also - not to mention..regular physical activity gives you more freedom on your food habits.. So you can stay healthy and eat more.

Egg white has a mere 17 calories. Very good protein source. Zero fat. You can eat even 134532325134323 egg white a day. Skim Milk. There is a seed called Hemp seed. This is considered as the most nutritionally complete food. There are few recipes using that. i bought a pack in Amazon.n It practically makes you a super healthy man according to some studies . Read more about it when you get a chance. Quinoa is another source of good proteins YOu can make uppuma out of it and eat. Bread might be a harmless food. But it is a carb rich food. But you can't totally shut out carbs as you need energy. Also studies show that bread that contains high fructose corn syrup is bad for health. Not sure if it was proven. So i avoid bread that contain corn syrup.

:headshake: I eat chapati mostly.. just a handful of rice during lunch... but you are right - southies consume copious amounts of rice, some of my friends used to eat rice 3 times a day :omg: P.S: I think Gunner is a thayir saadam :secret:
It all depends on metabolism of individual. Some eat all day they still stay thin.

Also drink more water,less coffee and tea as they are diuretics (green tea is fine), less alchohol (again its a diuretic and also has sugar.Have max. 3 pegs a week or a cpl of light beers),less salt (again since it dehydrates you),less sugar. Try substituting honey instead of sugar. Here are some superfoods . - Oats,whole wheat,bran - nuts (Almonds and walnuts,not roasted or salted), -veggies (broccoli,Kale,spinach,mustard greens,cauliflower,sweet potato,Tomatoes) -legumes (rajma,chole), -Fruit (blueberries are the best,strawberries,blackberries,banana,apple).No fruit juices. - Lean meat (Turkey breast,chicken breast,roast beef) - Fish (Salmon , Mackarel,Kippers,Sardines,Tuna) -Eggs (whites are better) - Milk (fat free or 1%),fat free yoghurt,low fat cottage cheese -Whey protein or Soy milk as protein supplements

hmm, then I can guess your fat% must be around 15-16%. Which is fine. .
Very deceptive; it is impossible to estimate his muscle/lean mass. He just needs to go get it measured to establish a baseline. Many gyms will do it for walk-in fee of $20 or so. Once he has a baseline, he can just work to bring it down; the absolute value is less important (unless it is in the 30s or more :-)!).

I have schwinn 431 elliptical rider and bodysolid EXM1500S total gym in my basement. I used to work out one muscle per day. Alternate day cardio. Nowadays i focus mainly on cardio. But as soon as i was done with gym i would mix 2 scoops of whey protein with juice and gulp.
I'm jealous! :((

Also drink more water,less coffee and tea as they are diuretics (green tea is fine), less alchohol (again its a diuretic and also has sugar.Have max. 3 pegs a week or a cpl of light beers),less salt (again since it dehydrates you),less sugar. Try substituting honey instead of sugar. Here are some superfoods . - Oats,whole wheat,bran - nuts (Almonds and walnuts,not roasted or salted), -veggies (broccoli,Kale,spinach,mustard greens,cauliflower,sweet potato,Tomatoes) -legumes (rajma,chole), -Fruit (blueberries are the best,strawberries,blackberries,banana,apple).No fruit juices. - Lean meat (Turkey breast,chicken breast,roast beef) - Fish (Salmon , Mackarel,Kippers,Sardines,Tuna) -Eggs (whites are better) - Milk (fat free or 1%),fat free yoghurt,low fat cottage cheese -Whey protein or Soy milk as protein supplements
is this sort of thing ok for women to adapt to as well?? i seriously struggle with getting a decent calcium intake cuz i hate drinking milk!! but as far as protein shakes are concerned (and no i am not trying bulk up just help with muscle recovery after weights) is ok do you think for women to take them??

I'm jealous! :((
For me Gym was not going to work . i just cannot allocate specific time in my day because of my nature of work. So i decided to invest in home gym. Worth every penny. With dimmers watching TV on 150 inch projector screen while doing exercise anytime of the day.. what more could you ask for :)