Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

I'm currently squatting 110 lb 5x5' date=' bench pressing 100lb 5x5 (almost, tend to fail in the last two sets), and deadlifting 195lb 5x1. [b']I'm having trouble fitting into my jeans now...my thighs don't fit anymore!
lol. Thats a most amazing feeling, isnt it? Nothing tops when you start seeing the results and it is most apparent in the tshirts (shoulders would get tighter) and jeans. And if you think you are having bigger thighs there is a good chance your butt is coming up nicely too lol. Squats is more about hams and glutes than thighs, specially if you are doing deadlifts as well.
At one point do I stop adding weight to my major lifts? My immediate goal is to get to body weight for squats and bench press, and I'm about 50 and 60 pounds away, which could take me a while longer.
You can probably stop now and start experimenting with explosive moves. Do the squats with half the weight you are used to, but when coming up explode off the ground. If you are comfortable you can just use the bar but when you explode try to come off the ground and jump a few inches. This would take some work but would help your jump. Same with pushups. Try coming off the ground instead of the usual drill. Go for say 8-12 but try to come off as much from the ground.

I am 6'1 and weigh about 89 kgs.
That doesnt sound so bad actually, should be not too far off from your ideal body weight. Of course it depends on how healthy you are and how much of that body weight is pure fat.
So, to start of with, what would be a good basic routine to start with at the gym (I have an unstable left knee that needs support when I go jogging)?
Do 3 days cardio and 3 days of full body weights with a day rest. Try alternating cardio days with weight days. On Cardio days mix up treadmill, elliptical and rowing/cycling. Go for 30-45 minutes depending on your comfort level. Try to keep your heart rate between 125-135. Go for 10-15 minutes of abs exercises after the workout. On weight days do a full body workout involving exercises for legs, chest, back, shoulders, biceps,triceps...in that order and make it back to back. A quick back to back workout could be. Body squats. Pushups (or machine press) Pulldowns Machine press curls rope pushdown. Try doing them back to back without a break. Go for 12 reps and 3 sets. You may want to start really light. The weights will come as you gain strength and stamina. Keep an eye on diet and rest as well. Good luck!

Should try some to incorporate some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) when doing cardio' date=' is the best way to burn fat or so they say. If you are looking to do some weight training programme then that takes more research to find a routine.[/quote'] I've tried HIIT before on the Crosstrainer as its a bit tedious on the treadmill. I did see some great results. Thanks mate. Thanks Akshay, but I dont quite understand the logic. Isnt it better to try and workout all the muscle groups on different days? Atleast thats what my trainer says. Wow. Thanks Lurks bhai. I'll definitely follow this. I do understand that am close to the ideal weight, but am trying to tone my physique and get rid of some flab.

Thanks Akshay, but I dont quite understand the logic. Isnt it better to try and workout all the muscle groups on different days? Atleast thats what my trainer says.
I should have been more specific.. I did not suggest any workout program, I just suggested that focus on large muscle groups.. as Lurker later suggested - alternate between cardio and weights days. And you can separate these large muscle groups on those weight days. Btw, for weight training beginners, you do not need to worry much about splitting muscle groups, if you are not lifting too heavy you cant do too wrong, even if you do 2-3 sets of all large muscle groups every session. Also, it would be even greater if you allocate one day for dead-lifts - for this make sure you have some trainer who can watch your technique. So, you can do something like - 3 days of weight lifting, and 2 days of cardio ( 1 more, if you can - but I guess you have some squash sessions also). Weight sessions - 1 should be dead lifts or squats.. other two you can split chest/back/shoulders/core. And if you want pack some serious muscle - then you will have to go in bulking mode completely for couple of months at least (diet will be very important there), and not more than cardio per week.

I should have been more specific.. I did not suggest any workout program, I just suggested that focus on large muscle groups.. as Lurker later suggested - alternate between cardio and weights days. And you can separate these large muscle groups on those weight days. Btw, for weight training beginners, you do not need to worry much about splitting muscle groups, if you are not lifting too heavy you cant do too wrong, even if you do 2-3 sets of all large muscle groups every session. Also, it would be even greater if you allocate one day for dead-lifts - for this make sure you have some trainer who can watch your technique. So, you can do something like - 3 days of weight lifting, and 2 days of cardio ( 1 more, if you can - but I guess you have some squash sessions also). Weight sessions - 1 should be dead lifts or squats.. other two you can split chest/back/shoulders/core. And if you want pack some serious muscle - then you will have to go in bulking mode completely for couple of months at least (diet will be very important there), and not more than cardio per week.
Hmmmm, now i get it. Thanks man. Appreciate it.

proud of you rahul brother, your an inspiration. Hope you recover well from injury and become what you want to be. As for myself, I've been continuing with the 5x5 program. I joined a gym to get access to a power rack and they gave a free assessment. The trainer there asked me to do squats and deads and severely criticized my form, especially on the squat. I went back to no weight and fixed some of the issues, back not being straight and knees over the toes, and i feel better about my squats. I'm currently squatting 110 lb 5x5, bench pressing 100lb 5x5 (almost, tend to fail in the last two sets), and deadlifting 195lb 5x1. I'm having trouble fitting into my jeans now...my thighs don't fit anymore! Which leads to me to the question...I'm not interested in becoming a power lifter, I just wanted to get stronger, which is why I went to trying heavier weights. I want to be the best athlete I can be, vertical leap and speed and quickness. At one point do I stop adding weight to my major lifts? My immediate goal is to get to body weight for squats and bench press, and I'm about 50 and 60 pounds away, which could take me a while longer. Would love to hear everyone's tought's on this. I'm considering doing Shaun T's asylum program after the bodyweight goal...it's pretty intense but worth it in the end!
Great job Shehzada great job!! Really happy for you dude... Dude if you ever come to Toronto let me know, we should have a gym session together ... I have couple of gym passes and I can get you in.. .. btw I am happy that you finally joined gym bro, I can gurantee that its your bestest investment in your self Also love your workout structure and plan!! Keep it up...

Dude, give yourself a pat on your back first. Most people, overwhelming percentage actually, tends to dislike working out and putting in effort in the gym. You went the other way. You actually enjoy it. So you have my respect. With regards to injuries, that happens to best of us, greatest pace bowlers - Lillee and Marshall - came off it. No reason why you cant. Free hand body squat is basically squat without any weights. So mimic the exercise with your body weight. You can try the Indian style too - baithak - that goes further down and hits your hams and glutes. Of the free hands, pushups and body squats are easiest on your body. Pullsup are a tad dangerous, if you dont use proper form. So use the three on discretion. And run. If you have a stadium then run up the stairs, that shall cut fat in no time. And whatever you do weightwise, keep your back straight.
lurker bro... I just wanna thank you from bottom of my heart!!! I mean it bro.. After that injury, I could barely move for 1 week (used to take a cab to work everyday).... but after 2 weeks I started gyming again with your technique of lower body squats..... WITHOUT any WEIGHTS... So I am doing lots n lots of lunges, baithak and squats with lower weights(decreased from 220 pounds to 135) I have started bowling from last month again in nets and bro I feel I have added extra pace and my body is totally injury free now!! In this holiday season, I have been bowling in nets for 2 hrs every day plus 1 hour of gym and I feel fitter than ever

lurker bro... I just wanna thank you from bottom of my heart!!! I mean it bro.. After that injury, I could barely move for 1 week (used to take a cab to work everyday).... but after 2 weeks I started gyming again with your technique of lower body squats..... WITHOUT any WEIGHTS... So I am doing lots n lots of lunges, baithak and squats with lower weights(decreased from 220 pounds to 135) I have started bowling from last month again in nets and bro I feel I have added extra pace and my body is totally injury free now!! In this holiday season, I have been bowling in nets for 2 hrs every day plus 1 hour of gym and I feel fitter than ever
Good on you Rahul. You are probably to the point where you understand what works/does not work for you. Tips from folks like me are good and all but you are probably in the drivers seat so make up best decisions accordingly. And dont worry about weights, you can always do it once you are done with cricket. I personally am strongest I have ever been on my lifts. Deadlifts off the ground for 315 lbs are a piece of cake for me (6 45 plates and the 45 lb bar), same with squats although I tend to keep them in 250-275 lb range mostly to avoid anything nasty. Point being you can always get the weight part going once your priorities, cricket, are taken care off :winky:

Good on you Rahul. You are probably to the point where you understand what works/does not work for you. Tips from folks like me are good and all but you are probably in the drivers seat so make up best decisions accordingly. And dont worry about weights, you can always do it once you are done with cricket. I personally am strongest I have ever been on my lifts. Deadlifts off the ground for 315 lbs are a piece of cake for me (6 45 plates and the 45 lb bar), same with squats although I tend to keep them in 250-275 lb range mostly to avoid anything nasty. Point being you can always get the weight part going once your priorities, cricket, are taken care off :winky:
:nice: :nervous: My best was 2*(45+45+35)+bar 2 years back, before it started affecting my back so severely, that I don't do deadlifts weighted-squats anymore.. :(( looks like there is still hope :weights:

My best was 2*(45+45+35)+bar 2 years back, before it started affecting my back so severely, that I don't do deadlifts weighted-squats anymore.. :(( looks like there is still hope
It could be n number of variables, dont beat yourself up much about any lifts is what I have learnt. Too often even the bars are different in terms of thickness, balance and the grip. These little things make a lot of difference, specially in deadlifts and bench press where your strength is dependent on grip. Look for your best sweet spot. I have always been strong on shoulder laterals. Nothing major but I can do great form of 12 reps of 25 lbs(each arm). Real slow and nice. Recently I started going to a new gym where dumbbells are contructed slightly different. I am easily doing 35 on good days, 30 on most days. Again point being often you may read somebody quoting a number and you may be tempted to challenge that, achieve that. However it may just be not possible with the machines you have. So pick your battles, keep the form and you will get there :winky:

^ no argument about it. My point was not to compare with your (or even my own old) lifts. It was more of reflecting back on my last few years. It has been only 6-8 months or so that I am completely relieved of the back pain (one more elbow injury is yet to be completely healed).. and during this whole period of pain and stuff my whole workout regime and motivation levels have changed (coinciding with other facets of professional life) But now that I am virtually pain free, but a bit out of shape/strength (as compared to good times) - at times I feel like reflecting back at good-old-days to motivate myself to start setting future goals....someone who has seen ups and downs would understand.

So cuz of holiday season, I was off from office from December 22 and tomorrow will be my last day off.. in last 10 days, I have worked out hardcore every single day...... so 1 hour of heavy weight training, then 1 hour of squash with ma buddy and then 2 hours of cricket net practice(1 and half hour bowling, half hour batting).. on average more than 4 hours everyday for past 10 days... never felt this sore, bigger and stonger before this on top without any injury haha... I guess tips by lurker about lower weights on lower body and free body squats and baithaks has been the secret... Thanks Lurker bhai..

So cuz of holiday season' date=' I was off from office from December 22 and tomorrow will be my last day off.. in last 10 days, I have worked out hardcore every single day...... so 1 hour of heavy weight training, then 1 hour of squash with ma buddy and then 2 hours of cricket net practice(1 and half hour bowling, half hour batting).. on average more than 4 hours everyday for past 10 days... never felt this sore, bigger and stonger before this on top without any injury haha... I guess tips by lurker about lower weights on lower body and free body squats and baithaks has been the secret... Thanks Lurker bhai..[/quote'] :facepalm: Holidays are for gaining weight and tond. :facepalm:

So cuz of holiday season' date=' I was off from office from December 22 and tomorrow will be my last day off.. in last 10 days, I have worked out hardcore every single day...... so 1 hour of heavy weight training, then 1 hour of squash with ma buddy and then 2 hours of cricket net practice(1 and half hour bowling, half hour batting).. on average more than 4 hours everyday for past 10 days... never felt this sore, bigger and stonger before this on top without any injury haha... I guess tips by lurker about lower weights on lower body and free body squats and baithaks has been the secret... Thanks Lurker bhai..[/quote'] Good on you dude. This time of the year is tough to be disciplined. Looks like you have done so with flying colors.

Hello gents. I have been working a reasonable amount on cardio in the past months, and made a point of generally eating well. What are the best exercises/workouts for the abs? I know of a few but wondered what the best way of putting together a daily (or whatever time is suggested) workout is. Thanks.

Hello gents. I have been working a reasonable amount on cardio in the past months' date=' and made a point of generally eating well. What are the best exercises/workouts for the abs? I know of a few but wondered what the best way of putting together a daily (or whatever time is suggested) workout is. Thanks.[/quote'] Read through this thread.