A Picture says a 1000 words

Lurker

Re: A Picture says a 1000 words

Yup the photo by Anakin was very disturbing and depressing. No wonder the photographer committed suicide after couple of months of taking the photo. I had seen this photo few years ago and felt sick for couple of days.
Hmm I did not know that. I can certainly see the impact taking such a picture can have on a person. I mean it is fair to say that the photographer would not have taken merely this picture and would in all actuality spent a while at such places snapping away as little children looked around for food. How do you escape that haunting image later on? It takes a lot of courage, and shameful courage at that perhaps. Little wonder then that while Satyajit Ray was castigated as Director who would showcase India's poverty, few had the actual gumption to sit through an entire SR movie and understand his point of view. *****
They had rules for not touching anyone and something similar so that they wouldn't catch any disease. I suppose that's what played a part for them not doing anything, but I doubt they just took the picture for money. I'm sure he felt remorse ever since and no wonder he took his own life shortly.

Re: A Picture says a 1000 words BTW, check out another moving documentary Shaking hands with Devil, it's from the book of the UN general (canadian) during the massacre in Rwanda, he attempted suicide too IIRC and became an alcoholic after that mission.

Re: A Picture says a 1000 words Kevin Carter's suicide does not have to be related to that photo. He had seen much worse stuff in his life.

Anyway who are we to judge him? We see one photo of a starving kid and go all moral. Dude atleast he was there to take the photo! In our case it's a case of out of sight out of mind. All arm chair experts :hic: When was the last time you did anything for starving kids in Africa? :chin: "Kev was part of the ?Bang Bang Club,? a band of elite photographers who documented the tumultuous final days of the apartheid regime, often at great personal risk. Carter and his colleagues were witnesses to some of South Africa?s most horrific and frightening violence, and the photos they took while pursuing that dangerous story garnered them notice all over the world. But acting as witnesses in that place, in that era, took its toll... Almost in passing, we learn that Carter was accompanied by an armed contingent of soldiers while on that photo assignment in Sudan. What if helping the child had put him at risk, and he hadn?t been able to file that haunting picture to his editors? As one of Carter?s colleagues notes, if it weren?t for that photo, ?we wouldn?t know how to spell Sudan.? Also check out this book- http://www.amazon.com/Bang-Bang-Club-Snapshots-Hidden-War/dp/0465044131 Check out James Nachtwey site. One of the greatest photographers of our time. http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/ P.S- Manic street preachers song on Kevin Carter- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7hw5NkSPvs EDIT-
Reminds me of a line that I liked a lot in one of the books Conversations with God' date=' "You've got me all wrong", it is so true. We have this image and blame it for everything bad before examining our own actions.[/quote'] :lmao: The length people go to justify their belief system :chin: What is stopping your god from making sure that we get him right instead of "all wrong"? :eek: Is he deaf and dumb? :chin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0LnmVsaoa4 Kya kya ap log bolten hain :hic:

Re: A Picture says a 1000 words As much as I like your enthusiasm, you're just as much guilty as the religious ones in the sense that both of you are holding a definite image of different types. You're saying there is nothing called god and believing in that ideology (although, kind of contradicting yourself with the last clip), and radhikaji is blaming god for not fixing our problem. Although if given a choice I'd prefer your type of belief since at least it doesn't create divisions among race and religions, but then again, we have god to blame when we act as naughty kids I guess. And I don't know if god exists or if it's blind or deaf or dumb, my post was in response to the childish thinking of that last clip.

Re: A Picture says a 1000 words I don't agree with the last clip completely as in my opinion that clip let's god off the hook too easily :hic: I got the impression that the creator of that clip wants god to exist but is pissed off that he does not answer... I posted that because I found it accidentally and because it kind of echoes what Radhika was saying/asking. Anakin I don't believe any ideology that has 0 evidence to back it's claims. Let alone ideologies that would want a person to completely change their way of life for fear of hell or silly bribes of heaven...better after life...better reincarnation. Such bull and I can't believe that educated people buy into such stuff. Just for arguments sake let's say god DEFINITELY existed the way he is represented in Abrahamic faiths. I would still not worship such an egomaniac swine :hic: One of my x-girlfriend's mum was/is a big Sai Baba fan. I showed her the famous video clip where the Sai the charlatan produced the gold necklace in a non-supernatural way. Clear proof that the guy is one of the biggest fraudster but the "faithful" refuse to open their eyes. The lady said that it does not matter if he cheats as he does lot of good for the community. That kind of thinking is just plain crazy! Respect to people like Basava Premanand who carry on regardless of so many brainwashed folks back home in India. I know I get carried away with exposing the non-existent god creature so I will SHUT the F UP NOW :lmao:

Re: A Picture says a 1000 words GKD, I agree with you, specially the part about Abrahamic faiths, and the books Conversations with God actually targeted those when it said "You've got me all wrong", while I'm open minded about the existence of god, that book is not a bad read. It just shows how childish their image of god is.

Kevin Carter's suicide does not have to be related to that photo. He had seen much worse stuff in his life.
Anyway who are we to judge him? We see one photo of a starving kid and go all moral. Dude atleast he was there to take the photo! In our case it's a case of out of sight out of mind. All arm chair experts :hic: When was the last time you did anything for starving kids in Africa? :chin: "Kev was part of the ?Bang Bang Club,? a band of elite photographers who documented the tumultuous final days of the apartheid regime, often at great personal risk. Carter and his colleagues were witnesses to some of South Africa?s most horrific and frightening violence, and the photos they took while pursuing that dangerous story garnered them notice all over the world. But acting as witnesses in that place, in that era, took its toll... Almost in passing, we learn that Carter was accompanied by an armed contingent of soldiers while on that photo assignment in Sudan. What if helping the child had put him at risk, and he hadn?t been able to file that haunting picture to his editors? As one of Carter?s colleagues notes, if it weren?t for that photo, ?we wouldn?t know how to spell Sudan.?
I'm way too puzzled by your response here. What do you mean we all go moral? I don't quite get that. Are you saying that picture is not disturbing at all? I'm sorry but am rather sensitive and although haven't been in a situation similar to this, I can imagine what a struggle life would be if the little kid was crawling to get to the nearest UN for little water and food. That truly is shocking and whether moral or not it strikes everyone real hard. To be honest I find it hard to gather what you are saying. As for the photographer, he committed suicide about 2 months after having visited Sudan. It is possible he was way too depressed after this. I don't think you can compare apartheid with this famine. You are tying to compare apples with oranges. I don't quite understand why should there even be a debate about what caused his death. It was suggested he may have killed himself out of depression and I don't see why not? Whatever transpired him to take his own life is not up for debate. None here is blaming him for taking that photo at all. He did a great job in his profession show casing the world the miseries in other parts of the world. None questioned his professional skills, if that photo touched our hearts this massively then that is testimony to his professional skills.

Guest dada_rocks

Anyway who are we to judge him? We see one photo of a starving kid and go all moral. Dude atleast he was there to take the photo! In our case it's a case of out of sight out of mind. All arm chair experts When was the last time you did anything for starving kids in Africa?
:wtg: :wtg: Each and every one of us borught up in India must have seen the stinking povety and somehow managed to wade through and pretend it doesn't exist.. too get all philosphical after seeing that pic well let us say we are human.. so to answer who let things come to that sorry pass.. resounding answer is you me and more or less every one here

Lurks did you get that book by William Dalrymple on the 1857 mutiny (or was it on Bahadur Shah Zafar ? )
Finally I get some time today..Phewww. Yes I did receive the book BB. Am reading it as we speak. Must say it has been very informative thus far. It will take me atleast a couple of weeks to finish it and would then write a review of the book, which I suspect shall grow into a debate but all's good if doesnt grow ugly. Another book review coming everyone's way in 2 weeks then... :hic: xxx

I'm way too puzzled by your response here. What do you mean we all go moral? I don't quite get that. Are you saying that picture is not disturbing at all? I'm sorry but am rather sensitive and although haven't been in a situation similar to this, I can imagine what a struggle life would be if the little kid was crawling to get to the nearest UN for little water and food. That truly is shocking and whether moral or not it strikes everyone real hard. To be honest I find it hard to gather what you are saying.
I don't think you understood what I was saying. One has to be made of stone to not find that photo heart breaking. Dada Rocks explained my point very well.
As for the photographer, he committed suicide about 2 months after having visited Sudan. It is possible he was way too depressed after this. I don't think you can compare apartheid with this famine.
Ravi no offence but I will take the explanation of well known photographers who worked with him day in day out rather than word of very good guy called Ravi :hic: Sure the photo added to his misery but to say that he committed suicide because of that photo is stretching it a bit. It provides a good sound bite that is why people keep pimping it all over the net. You have any idea what kind of stuff he had seen? It was not just apartheid....Kevin Carter was covering hardcore conflicts in Africa. A starving kid is VERY heart breaking but so is seeing countless healthy people getting butchered and split open in front of your eyes. All these things had a cumulative effect and the guy broke. Also keep in mind that he must have seen thousands of kids in similar starving situation. I myself have seen on TV and in real life in India. What did I do about it? Nothing :eew: Apart from donating money once in a while.

Re: A Picture says a 1000 words Auschwitz-children%202.gif20050127.auschwitz.jpg These are photos of children incarcerated at the death camp of Auschwitz. I see that photo, and wonder, how many of them survived the holocaust? How many of them grew up, got married, had children of their own? If it is possible to be inspired by the greatest tragedy that ever befell mankind, I am inspired by these children. To go through the untold horrors that they did, to be herded on trains like cattle, to arrive at the barbed wire concentration camps, to lose their parents to gas chambers, to waste away through lack of food and nurture, and then escape death by a whisker through providence, as some of them did, to go out into the free world again, to have to build their lives from scratch , to toil hard with nothing to start from, with the abiding memory of the horrors that they have been through, goaded on by determination that can only be felt by those that have been through unending suffering and come back from the brink... I think how fortunate I have been to have the opportunities, the freedom, the parental love that I did, and then I think of these children...and I resolve never to take a warm bed, a nice meal, or the comfort of home and family for granted again.

Re: A Picture says a 1000 words Hiroshima - in the aftermath of the Nuclear bomb blast Hiroshima_aftermath.jpg Can you imagine the sheer scale of destruction ? An entire city absolutely eviscerated - leaving no trace of life whatsoever. An entire population, a whole generation wiped out in the matter of a second ! It's simply remarkable what man can achieve, yet at the same time - such achievement evokes the saddest of emotions.

I don't think anybody here who is not a parent will understand. Everytime, I see that child, I think but for God's grace, that could have been my child. It's a thought more terrible than death itself.
Where was God's grace for the hungry child's father? Love to hear your explanation for that.
God does not intervene on behalf of every human being to reverse the evil perpetrated by fellow human beings. that child is a victim of persecution and evil perpetrated in the name of religion/tribe/ethnicity that has been going on in Africa ever since the colonists carved the continent into little niches for themselves to abuse and exploit. And whats more, the exploitation goes on even today. Next time you are a gas station, know that there is a good chance that gas is coming from Nigeria (which has a rich, low sulphur crude oil), and every dollar that you pay is a dollar in the pocket of the oil giants who fuel this divide by paying of a select number of decadent politicians in order to maintain their monopolistic and arbitrary control over the nation's resources and subjugate its people. The next time you buy a cell phone, think about where the Zinc in the device comes from... it probably hails from mines in the central republic of congo where a military junta ruthlessly oppresses the population. The next time you buy a diamond, spare a thought for the child forced to work in a diamond mine in botswana, just so that he may be able to procure an over priced medicine for his HIV positive mother/father/sister etc. I like you GKD coz youre cool, but try not to have brain farts such as the one you had when you posted the above quoted post. Dont blame God for not righting our own wrongs.

I like you GKD coz youre cool, but try not to have brain farts such as the one you had when you posted the above quoted post. Dont blame God for not righting our own wrongs.
So the child gets wronged for the wrong of some adult? Interesting. I am glad you like me :hic: but that was not a brain f@rt. I stand by my comment 100%. How the hell do you know what "god" thinks or does not think? You his defence lawyer? :hic: What is your source for the way he works? I reject an invisible thing that you call god 100%. You can call it brain f@rt but in my humble opinion people who believe in god are having a major brain f@rt :hic: One of the best quotes- Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? Bring on hell Mr god. I am up for it :wtg: P.S- Btw I don't buy petrol and I don't buy diamonds so I am not guilty :hic:

One out of three hundred remaining in the world. A species which used to once stretch from Central Asia through India has been reduced to the tiny encroached upon Gir Sanctuary: asiatic-lion1.jpg
Saw a nice documentary on these last asiatic lions. Sad really.

Re: A Picture says a 1000 words Good one Shwetabh. Wouldnt it be greatest misfortune if such royal wildlife were to become extinct and visible only on pictures? Speaking of which I remember seeing a wildlife picture of Kaziranga, rhino and elephant walking together. _40839789_kazibody1.jpg