Time for the BIG American dream

Sir john

sp5.jpg it was an emotional and proud moment for the cagers of Ludhiana Basketball Academy (LBA) as Satnam Singh alias Satta, a product of the academy, left the city on Sunday to join the big league in the US. If all goes well than the 14-year-old and 7ft tall athlete could well be an answer to his Chinese counterpart 7.6ft Yo-Ming in the National Basketball Association (NBA) in America. Satta is all set to fly to Florida to join the internationally famed IMG- Reliance scholarship scheme from September 16 to improve his technique. He is the only cager from India to be selected for training at the IMG academy known for producing eminent international golf, soccer, basketball, baseball and tennis players. A find of Teja Singh Dhaliwal, Satta, who is popular as Khali-II among his peers, broke into tears as he met his friends. “I will try my best to make the dream of my friends come true. The academy has given me everything. At the age of 14, I have had the opportunity to visit three countries, which a normal boy of my age could never imagine. Now, it is time to give it back and I promise I will not disappoint them. I will try to make the most of the opportunity,†said the 250-pound cager. Recalling the moment when Satta first came to the academy along with his parents from village Balloke near Rampura Phool, Teja Singh Dhaliwal said, “He was just eight-year-old when he was brought to the academy. Then, his height was 5.9 ft. His father, who was the sarpanch of the village, was equally tall person. He requested me to take his son to the academy. I gleefully accepted his proposal and within four years he has grown 7ft tall.†NBA director in India Troy Justice was impressed with Satnam and suggested his name to the Basketball clubs in the US.