Ranji Trophy 2010-11: Super League

Delhi on top despite Ashwin's five-for At close of play, Tamil Nadu was 122 for five, 196 behind Delhi's 318. More... Delhi on top despite Ashwin's five-for Sports Reporter 2010111261731901.jpg WELL DONE MATE:Tamil Nadu off-spinner R. Ashwin (right) is congratulated by teammates for his five-wicket haul. Chennai: Eleven wickets fell on day two of the Ranji Trophy Elite Group ‘A' match between Tamil Nadu and Delhi here on Thursday, a day that saw the visitor take decisive steps towards establishing a first innings lead. At close of play, Tamil Nadu was 122 for five, 196 behind Delhi's 318. This after the host had enjoyed a near-perfect first session, in which its bowlers dismissed Delhi's last six for just 60, with R. Ashwin scalping his ninth first class five-for. The off-spinner looked in superb rhythm, and constantly made the ball jump at the batsmen — this didn't happen on day one. Kohli first to go At the start of play, the course of the match seemed to hinge on how far Virat Kohli, on 119 overnight, would manage to extend his innings. As it turned out, he was first to go, flicking Ashwin uppishly to short midwicket. Ashwin polished off his last two with the carrom ball — Parvinder Awana leg-before playing down the wrong line and Pawan Suyal caught at silly-point. Rajat Bhatia wasn't available due to a fracture. Inexperienced Delhi attack Delhi took a big risk by opting for a rather inexperienced attack against the seasoned Tamil Nadu batting line-up. Amongst the three new bowlers drafted in, one's making his debut and the other two have just a couple of matches under their belts. Surprisingly, the new-look attack punched much above its weight to have Tamil Nadu reeling at 122 for 5 in reply to Delhi's 318 all out at draw of stumps on Day Three. Delhi management would be both happy and relieved at their performance, for the decision to field a largely inexperienced attack could easily have boomeranged. The newcomers, however, kept the faith. Left arm spinner Vikas Mishra, in particular, bowled really well to finish the day with three wickets. He bowled a steady line and length, and forced the batsmen to make mistakes. But before he got down to business, Parvinder Awana and Pawan Suyal gave Delhi a bright start. Suyal, forced a return catch early on from Abhinav Mukund to push the hosts on the back foot. The TN batsmen looked ill at ease as both Awana and Suyal bowled quick, with the occassional short-pitched deliveries. Mishra then tied down the batsmen further. He had S. Anirudha caught by Sharma and soon after Awana induced an edge from Arun Karthik. Mishra struck again twice to get rid of skipper Dinesh Karthik and R. Sathish to leave the hosts at 82 for 5. S Badrinath and C Ganapathy, however, saw the day out without any further damage. Interestingly, the day didn't start off as well as it ended for Delhi.

Uthappa puts Karnataka on top Robin Uthappa scored a brilliant 149 to power Karnataka to 346 for six to take a crucial 106-run first innings lead over Punjab on the second day of the Super League Group B Ranji Trophy match at the PCA stadium here today. More... Uthappa puts Karnataka on top Special Correspondent -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thursday was Robin Uthappa's 25th birthday He hit a well-planned innings of 149 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MOHALI: Robin Uthappa turned 25 on Thursday and showed that he had truly come of age. The opener-turned-middle-order batsman displayed tremendous maturity during his 149 to firmly put Karnataka in a position from where it can press for an outright victory over Punjab in the Ranji Trophy super league match over the next two days. Aided by Uthappa's eighth century in the National championship and first in the middle-order, Karnataka finished a batsmen-dominated second day at 346 for six. After drawing level with Punjab's 243 at the stroke of tea, Karnataka established a lead of 103 runs with four wickets in hand. Notably, the brisk scoring rate was due to the visiting side's positive approach all day and the host's very ordinary effort on the field. Uthappa, Ganesh Satish and Manish Pandey took turns to step up the run-rate which in turn has helped the team put more pressure on Punjab. Man of the moment But the man of the moment was the ‘birthday boy'. Robin's well-planned innings proved that the otherwise flamboyant opener had it in him to fit into the more patient role assigned by the team for the longer duration of the game. “I've learnt to stay in the present and not look too far ahead. I want to contribute to the team in every possible way. Today, I wanted to rotate the strike, make it difficult for the bowlers to find the rhythm and build partnerships. I am glad things worked out well,” said Uthappa, rating the century as among the better ones of his career. Uthappa, who scored over 1200 runs two seasons ago but ended the last season without a century despite four half centuries, straightaway got a big one here. Cautious start Known for his stroke-play, he gave the innings the impetus it needed after an understandably cautious start that was followed by the departure of openers K. B. Pawan and debutant K. L. Rahul. Pawan was unlucky to be given caught behind after the ball from Manpreet Gony went off his thigh-pad while Rahul fell fending a ball. Uthappa, who crossed the 4,000 first-class runs during the innings, hit two sixes, gained another ‘six' – including four overthrows – and smashed 16 boundaries before he was run out. At the end of the day's play, Amit Verma (21) and skipper R Vinay Kumar (7) were at the crease.Yesterday, Karnataka pacers R Vinay Kumar and Sreenath Aravind helped their team bundle Punjab out for a mere 243. While this is Karnataka's first match of the season, Punjab have already conceded the first-innings lead in their opening game against Uttar Pradesh that earned them just one point. 'I am happy to do well for the team' After bringing up his ninth Ranji ton, which propelled Karnataka to a strong pisition against Punjab, Robin Uthappa thanked the almighty for his composed show. “It feels good and I thank God for the century. I am happy to do well for the team to be able to contribute this way”, he said after the day’s play. “The last year or so has been a journey of sorts and I have learnt a lot during this period. Even today, I decided not to use the cut shot because I missed a few early on. Instead I decided to rotate strike and then employed the cut and pull, my main weapons, when I was more settled and felt I was in control.” The Karnataka batsman, who turned 25 on Thursday, produced a pleasing 149 that should have done a world of good to his confidence. Uthappa admitted he missed out on scoring big in the past on several occasions. “After the hundred I was thinking of the times I missed out on going on to make a big score. “And that kept egging on me to keep going. I had to curb my instinct (to attack), and actually I was thinking and planning on coming back and batting tomorrow morning, but unfortunately the run out happened,” he rued. Uthappa said he was happy batting lower down the order. “I have no issues opening the innings but yes I have said I prefer batting down. The last time I batted at No. 4 was as a junior, U-16,” Uthappa said.

Assam's Dhiraj Goswami derails Railways If Day One was all about spin, 25-year-old pacer Dhiraj Goswami showed the track at the Karnail Singh Stadium assists fast bowlers too. He took four wickets to help Assam reduce Railways to 164 for 8 on Thursday. The hosts are still 23 runs behind. More... Dhiraj Goswami derails Railways Special Correspondent NEW DELHI: Dhiraj Goswami is looking for a job at the Railways and the Assam seamer chose to jolt his prospective employer at the Karnail Singh Stadium to make an early impression. If Day One was all about spin, 25-year-old pacer Dhiraj Goswami showed the track at the Karnail Singh Stadium assists fast bowlers too. He scalped four key Railway batsmen to leave the home team struggling at 164 for eight on the second day of the Ranji Trophy super league match on Thursday. The hosts are still 23 runs behind. On a hazy morning, Assam were unable to build on their overnight total of 174 and lost the remaining three wickets cheaply. Murali Kartik, however, could not add to his four. Now in his seventh season, Goswami (4/43) bowled splendidly to keep his team in the fray after Assam, resuming at 174 for seven, was all out for 187. “I just aimed at bowling a decent line because there was no room for experiments. We were defending a modest total,” said Goswami, who pouched V. Chelluveraj, T.P. Singh, Yere Goud and M. Suresh to set up a close race for the first innings honours. Familiar situation The Railways skipper was in for a bigger disappointment when his side began its chase. Opener Faiz Fazal (4) departed early and was followed by V. Cheluvaraj (2) and Sanjay Bangar (15). By lunch, the hosts were tottering at 33 for 4. The second session continued to be dismal as apart from TP Singh, who scored a patient 41, the rest couldn't cope with the uneven bounce. It was a familiar situation for Railways. It has been so for some time now. The bowlers did their job but the batsmen, with the exception of T.P. Singh and J.P. Yadav, faltered. The lack of application in the Railway ranks was disturbing and nullified all the work done with the ball by Murali Kartik and Sanjay Bangar. With Goswami and Ranjit Mali (2/31) slicing through the top order it was left to T.P. Singh (41 off 91 balls) and M. Suresh (16 off 72 balls) to stem the collapse. The day ended with Yadav (30 off 67 balls) carrying Railways' hopes of clinching the first innings lead. Goswami, bowling in tandem with Arlen Konwar, got rid of TP Singh after lunch and returned to remove Yere Goud (4). Assam will now look to knock out the remaining batsmen without conceding the lead to gain psychological advanatage. Brief Score Assam 1st innings 187 all out. Railways 1st innings 164 for 8 wkts ( T.P Sing 41; D Goswami 4/43).

Pathan hits 195, Baroda in command against Haryana Yusuf Pathan slammed a whirlwind 138-ball 195 as Baroda posted a huge first innings total of 470 against Haryana on the second day. More... Pathan hits 195, Baroda in command against Haryana PTI, Nov 11, 2010 ROHTAK: Yusuf Pathan slammed a whirlwind 138-ball 195 as Baroda posted a huge first innings total of 470 against Haryana on the second day of the Ranji Trophy Super League Group B match on Thursday. Pathan, who had joined Williams (114) at 88 for two yesterday, put up a 279-run partnership with the opener to take his team to a commanding position. Pathan blasted 19 fours and 10 sixes in his scintillating innings to take Baroda across the 350-run mark before being cleaned up by Nitin Saini in the 86th over. After getting all out for a paltry 127 in their first innings, Haryana were on 38/0 in 19 overs in their second essay with N Saini (27) and R Dewan (9) at the crease at the draw of stumps, still trailling by 305 runs at the Bansi Lal Cricket Stadium here. Earlier, Williams played the role of the sheet-anchor and his patient 316-ball 114-run innings, which was bejewelled with 13 boundaries, allowed Pathan to play his aggressive brand of cricket. R K Solani (41) and Swapnil Singh (24) were other contributors. Among the bowlers, Joginder Sharma took three wickets giving away 45 runs, while AH Hooda and Dhruv Singh scalped two each for Haryana.

Ishwar shines as Gujarat bowl out Saurashtra for 262 Iswar Choudhary snapped four wickets as Gujarat bundled out Saurashtra for 262 in their first innings on the second day of the Ranji Trophy Super League Group A match here on Friday. More... Ishwar shines as Gujarat bowl out Saurashtra for 262 12 November 2010 Surat: Iswar Choudhary snapped four wickets as Gujarat bundled out Saurashtra for 262 in their first innings on the second day of the Ranji Trophy Super League Group A match here on Friday. Choudhary took wickets of BM Chuhan (41), RA Jadeja (13), RV Dhurv (15) and JD Unadkat (0), giving away 58 runs in his 19.3 overs. Gujarat were 20 for one in their reply with PK Panchal (6) and SG Yadav (0) at the crease at the draw of stumps at Lalabhai Contractor Stadium here. After the first day was washed off without a ball being bowled, Saurashtra started their innings shakily as they lost opener CR Pathak in the fourth over but other opener Chauhan and SH Kotak (25) added 52 runs to stabilise the innings. A run out engineered by AM Makda resulted in Kotak making his way back to the pavillion and soon newman Jadeja was also sent packing by Choudhary. Chauhan was then caught behind and wicketkeeper SD Jogiyani (39) also lost his wicket which meant Saurashtra had lost half their side for 223 in 66 overs. J N Shah scored an aggressive 94 studded with eleven fours and three sixes but once he was gone, it was just a matter of time for Saurashtra to fold. In reply, Gujarat lost JD Desai (9) in the fifth over before ending the day at 20 for one in six overs.

Runs on board courtsey agrresive Chawla, onus on UP bowlers now Piyush Chawla considers himself a pure bowler. But in domestic cricket over the last three years, he has been successful as a batsman too. More... Runs on board, onus on UP bowlers now Lucknow A cautious UP crossed the 400 run mark in their first innings but only after consuming two days in the process in their Ranji Trophy match against Orissa at Dr Akhilesh Das Stadium, here. The slow pace at which hosts collected the runs indicates that they are more for attaining 3 points by virtue of a first innings lead in a drawn match rather than a victory. However, the team showed some purpose today. With the runs on board, the onus is on UP bowlers now. UP were 403 all out in 176.1 overs in their first innings. Orissa got one over to bat before stumps on Thursday. Openers Nataraj Behera and skipper Shiv Sunder Das were at the crease. The first session on Friday will be crucial. If UP manage to take early wickets then it could put the visitors under pressure, however, if that does not happen, a result seems to be a distant possibility. Weather can also play a major role with there being a possibility of rain. Matters can become grim if it rains. The move of sending Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Digvijay Singh, who played in UP’s Ranji match against Punjab, to Mumbai to strengthen the under-22 team also bore no fruit and instead only seems to have disturbed the Ranji team at the wrong moment. UP started at an overnight score of 174 for four in 90 overs. Parvinder Singh (78) and M Amir Khan (47 off 181 balls) kept the scoreboard moving and the two contributed 111 runs through their fifth wicket partnership. Parvinder’s 78 came off 206 balls which featured five boundaries and two sixes. The first six which came of a Dhiraj Singh delivery landed near the long on. The second came of a Debasis Mohanty ball when he sent the ball towards the mid-wicket region. Parvinder Singh was caught by Govind Poddar at the cover region of a slower delivery from pacer Alok Sahoo in the 141st over when the team total was 282. Alok who had claimed the important wickets of Eklavya Dwivedi and M Kaif on Wednesday, put another two in his bag by sending back Parvinder and Amir Khan. Amir fell leg before in the 145th over. Earlier, Amir’s catch was dropped when he was at 38. All-rounder Piyush Chawla showed good aggression in his batting. He scored 79 runs off 112 balls which featured eight boundaries and two lofty sixes. Piyush Chawla considers himself a pure bowler. But in domestic cricket over the last three years, he has been successful as a batsman too. He starts with free flowing hits, but soon adjusts himself in the middle and then roars like a hard-hitting batsman. On a slow track on Thursday, Chawla consolidated his all-round ability against a mediocre Orissa bowling attack on the second day of the Elite Group B Ranji Trophy match. His sparkling 112-ball 79, studded with eight fours and two sixes, was a treat to watch for the students of the BBD Institutes, which surrounds the stadium. It ensured that UP put up 403 in their first innings. Piyush scored a lofty six towards the sightscreen in the 165th over of a delivery from spinner Dhiraj Singh. He hit another six, this time towards the long on Dhiraj’s very next ball. Piyush was a bit lucky when wicketkeeper Subhrajit Sahoo missed a stumping chance when he was at 56 and the team at 363 in the 167th over. The last batsmen to go out, Chawla was caught at mid-on by Biplab Samantray of a Debasis Mohanty ball. Debasis Mohanty collected his second wicket of the day in the form of Shalabh Srivastava who was caught by Dhiraj at mid-on. Tailender Shalabh added 23 useful runs to the team total. Earlier, the wickets of Praveen Gupta (4) and RP Singh (6) were taken by Dhiraj Singh and Rakesh Mohanty, respectively. At the end of the day Orissa captain Shiv Sunder Das had a word of praise for UP batsmen. “UP batted well. A couple of missed chances cost us about 70 to 80 runs. We had aimed at restricting UP to a total of 320 or so.” He said that there were quite a few talented batsmen in the Orissa team. “Govind Poddar, Nataraj Behera, Rakesh Mohanty, Biplab Samantray have been doing well for the team. However, with the pitch becoming even more slow, The first innings tomorrow will be crucial.” Leggie Piyush Chawla too said that things will become clearer by the end of the first innings tomorrow. Regarding UP’s slow approach today Chawla said, “The team had to be careful as all-rounders Praveen Kumar and Bhuvneshwar were not with the team for this match. Batting with patience under such a situation is better rather than hitting from the very first ball.” Brief Scores:Uttar Pradesh 1st innings: 403 all out in 176.1 overs ( Eklavya Dwivedi 83, M Kaif 51, Parvinder Singh 78, M Amir Khan 47, Piyush Chawla 79, Shalabh Srivastav 23; Alok Sahoo 4 for 100, Debasis Mohanty 3 for 37, Biplab Samantray 1 for 17, Dhiraj Singh 1 for 109, Rakesh Mohanty 1 for 67); Orissa 1st innings: 0 for no loss in 1 over.