Ranji Trophy 2010-11: Super League

DK was leading TN even last time' date=' but when it comes to South Zone, etc Badri leads it.[/quote'] Oh. They seem to be grooming DK for bigger challenges, when Badri is not around. Good work by TN. And I hope Sunil clicks. Any info about him, buddy? Training at MRF Pace Foundation et al, is he all that fast like Sreesanth?
Oh. They seem to be grooming DK for bigger challenges' date=' when Badri is not around. Good work by TN. And I hope Sunil clicks. Any info about him, buddy? Training at MRF Pace Foundation et al, is he all that fast like Sreesanth?[/quote'] Dont know about Sunil, if he has some pace then this will be the ideal squad. Yomahesh and Balaji can bowl well, Ganapathy has performed well with bat and ball, need not tell about Ashwin ..Aushik Shrinivas is a promising left arm spinner(he's just 17 or 18 yrs old) and was the highest wicket taker for TN last season.

Sunil Sam, one to watch out for More... Sunil Sam, one to watch out for Principal Correspondent THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: A few Tamil Nadu born players had represented Kerala in the Ranji Trophy, but none from Kerala was good enough to figure in the neighbouring State's Ranji squad till Sunil Sam achieved something unprecedented this season. Born in Kulathupuzha, a remote Panchayath near the border of Thiruvananthapuram and Kollam districts, the medium pacer's rise to the top has been dramatic. A late bloomer, Sunil started playing the game when he was 18 years-old; he is a current trainee at the MRF Pace Academy in Chennai. Sunil's tryst with the game began when he joined St. John's College, Anchal for his degree course in 2005 and the same year he was selected to the Kollam under-19 district team. But Sunil hardly made an impression in the South Zone inter-district tournament and he realised that he had a long way to go. Sunil says it was his decision to try his luck in the competitive Coimbatore league that changed the course of his career. “I discontinued my studies at St. John's College and joined Nehru College of Arts and Science in Coimbatore. My aim was to pursue both studies and cricket,” he said. He joined Ramakrishna Mills as a player and performed well for Coimbatore in the under-22 tournament. He was among reserves for the Tamil Nadu under-22 squad. Last year, Sunil attended the trials for the TNCA's pace bowling academy and was selected. He moved over to Chennai and joined India Cements in 2009. He created an impression in the TNCA first division league in his first year. Playing for Grandslam he took five for 32 against Vijay CC which had a few reputed players in its ranks. W.V. Raman was so impressed with the youngster that he asked him to attend the trials of the MRF pace academy. Sunil was among the four players selected there. His stint at MRF saw him improve fast. “Senthilnathan who is the chief coach at the academy was very helpful and encouraging. Getting tips from great Dennis Lillie was unbelievable,” he said. His improvement was evident when he took 22 wickets for Globetrotters in the TNCA first division league. His best bowling performance came against India Pistons when he took six for 27. The good performance earned him a place in the Districts team for the Buchi Babu Trophy. Sunil impressed against Andhra by taking five wickets for 42 runs and he was selected to the Ranji Trophy camp. “The selection didn't come as a surprise. I was confident that they would pick me up. Now my aim is to do well in the Ranji Trophy. I am indebted to R. Venugopal who sponsored me,” said Sunil who celebrated his birthday the day the team was announced.

Jaydev Shah to lead Saurashtra in absence of Pujara Saurashtra will have an uphill task this season when they will start their campaign from November first against formidable Mumbai in Ranji Trophy this season in Mumbai without prolific batsman Cheteshwar Pujara. More... Jaydev Shah to lead Saurashtra in absence of Pujara Updated on Saturday, October 30, 2010 Rajkot: Saurashtra will have an uphill task this season when they will start their campaign from November first against formidable Mumbai in Ranji Trophy this season in Mumbai without prolific batsman Cheteshwar Pujara. Saurashtra Cricket Association (SCA) honorary secretary Niranjan Shah announced the 15-member squad for first two matches to be played against Mumbai in Mumbai and Gujarat in Ahmedabad. Jaydev Shah has been retained as the skipper while Jaydev Unadkat is the only new face in the squad that played last season. Unadkat who was selected for the second test match against Australia, has yet not played in Ranji Trophy matches and he is all set to make debut against Mumbai. Saurashtra has been doing well after winning the plate group in 2005-06 Ranji season and also reached in semis for two consecutive years in Elite division following a solid performance by Cheteshwar Pujara and Ravindra Jadeja. However, Saurashtra will miss services of Pujara for first two matches as Pujara has been selected for test series against New Zealand while Ravindra Jadeja will also miss last couple of matches when ODI series begins. Team: Jaydev Shah (Captain), Sitanshu Kotak, Ravindra Jadeja, Chirag Pathak, Sagar Jogiyani (WK), Arpit Vasavada, Pratik Mehta, Rakesh Dhruv, Kamlesh Makwana, Sandip Jobanputra, Sandip Maniar, Jaydev Unadkat, Jayesh Odedara. Coach-Debu Mitra.

Rajkot: Saurashtra will have an uphill ..... Saurashtra Cricket Association (SCA) honorary secretary Niranjan Shah announced the 15-member squad for first two matches to be played against Mumbai in Mumbai and Gujarat in Ahmedabad. Jaydev Shah has been retained as the skipper while .......
batting avg of 28 in 53 matches/86 innings, bowling avg of 66 and captain of the team... oh one sec ... baap-bete ki mast jodi...

Kaif to lead UP Ranji team again Experience cricketer Mohammad Kaif will once again lead the UP Ranji team. More... Kaif to lead UP Ranji team again Express News Service Oct 27 2010 Experience cricketer Mohammad Kaif will once again lead the UP Ranji team. A meeting of the selection committee was held in Kanpur on Tuesday to select the squad. The formal announcement of the team by the Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association (UPCA) is likely to be made on Wednesday. M Amir Khan will be the team’s wicket-keeper. UP will be playing its first match against Punjab in Meerut from November 1. As Suresh Raina will be on national duty for most of the Ranji season, M Kaif’s name was expected as the captain of the team. UP had won their maiden Ranji Trophy title under Kaif’s captaincy in the year 2006. UP had defeated Bengal in the final on the basis of a first innings lead. The all-important encounter had taken place at KD Singh ‘Babu’ Stadium, Lucknow. Sources informed that opener Digvijay Singh who has performed well and has scored two centuries in the under-22 cricket this season, will be a new face in the team. The team: Mohammad Kaif (captain), Rudra Pratap Singh, Sudeep Tyagi, Piyush Chawla, Praveen Gupta, Praveen Kumar, Shalabh Srivastav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Shivakant Shukla, Parvinder Singh, Tanmay Srivastav, Ashish Yadav, Amit Singh, Digvijay Singh, M Amir Khan (wicketkeeper).

All eyes on Kotla track as hosts Delhi take on Bengal The ever controversial Feroz Shah Kotla strip will be the point of discussion during the next four days as hosts Delhi take on Bengal in a Ranji Trophy Super League match. More... All eyes on Kotla track as hosts Delhi take on Bengal October 31, 2010 The ever controversial Feroz Shah Kotla strip will be the point of discussion during the next four days as hosts Delhi take on Bengal in a Ranji Trophy Super League match. Although Delhi Daredevils played their home matches during the last edition of the Indian Premier League , it will be a newly laid Kotla strip where season's opening first-class match will be played. The strip will also give an indication as to how things will unfold in the lead up to the World Cup next year. While Delhi boasts of some big names in domestic cricket such as Virat Kohli, Shikhar Dhawan, Mithun Manhas , the Bengal team's performance will depend a lot on their talented captain Manoj Tiwary who is also their batting mainstay. Rival coaches -- Delhi's Manoj Prabhakar and Bengal's W V Raman -- both felt that it will be a typical Kotla wicket, which will be low and slow. "I don't see much happening after the first session on this track," Raman told reporters after his team's training session was over. Asked whether it was tough for Bengal to play in a group which has both Delhi and Mumbai, the former Tamil Nadu and India opener said, "people might look at it as the Group of Death but for me it's a Group of Opportunities." His counterpart Prabhakar, who knows the Kotla wicket like the back of his hand, also conceded that it will be a tough job for bowlers as they will have to bend their back on this kind of a track. "Adaptability is the key. You can be provided with any sort of wicket but you have to know how to use the surface. Our boys have worked hard in all the departments and hopefully there will be results to show for," Prabhakar, who was the bowling coach when Delhi last won the Ranji Trophy during the 2007-08 season, said. However, both coaches were not too keen to divulge the playing XI as they are yet to figure out the bowling combination. For Delhi, it will be among the quartet of Parwinder Awana, Pawan Suyal, Pradeep Sangwan and Sumit Narwal that Prabhakar will have to choose from. Although the former India all-rounder is all praise for young left-arm pacer Suyal but said it is still difficult to pick the right combination. Among the spinners lanky left-arm slow bowler Vikas Mishra looks favourite to get a berth in the playing XI although one can't count out leggie Chetanya Nanda, who has got loads of experience. The batting looks more or less assured with prolific opener Dhawan, middle-order mainstay Kohli, seasoned skipper Manhas all capable of scoring big on their day. Chetan Sharma, who did well for Delhi in the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy, will open alongside Dhawan who missed Sunday's training session. Any special plans for Virat? "Cricket is a team game, I suppose. You can't say or predict anything about a first-class game until and unless the ball starts rolling. Then only will you come to know that how things pan out," was Raman's curt response to the question. The Bengal side, however, bears a settled look with almost all the batsmen picking themselves. Arindam Das, Shreevats Goswami, Anushtup Mazumdar, Tiwary, former captain Laxmi Ratan Shukla, Abhishek Jhunjhunwala, Wriddhiman Saha have a lot of spunk but they have often failed to convert the promise on big stage. The bowling will depend largely on veteran seamer Ranadeb Bose and speedster Ashok Dinda. It will be interesting to see whether rookie medium pacer Mohammed Sami Ahmed, who picked up eight wickets in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy (East Zone), gets the nod although left-arm spinner Iresh Saxena still looks favourite considering the slowness of track.

Karnataka - Together we can With Dravid likely to miss most ties, last year’s Ranji finalists Karnataka will need a collective effort to repeat their heroics More... Karnataka - Together we can With Dravid likely to miss most ties, last year’s Ranji finalists Karnataka will need a collective effort to repeat their heroics Ashish Magotra Posted On Friday, October 29, 2010 at 02:04:36 AM Abhimanyu Mithun’s memory of the last Ranji Trophy season is not catching the eye of the selectors or taking 47 wickets in nine games or even impressing the likes of Rahul Dravid in his debut season. In fact, his memory is something a lot less pleasant — being stranded on 1 not out as his side lost the Ranji final in Mysore by just six runs to Mumbai makes up the gist of that. That defeat hurt then and it still does. cr241.jpg So when Karnataka take the field for their Ranji Trophy opener against Punjab on November 13, the first thing they want to do is banish those memories from their mind. This is a new season and they believe they are a new team too. “There is a lot of difference between the teams of last season and the current squad.” said Mithun. “We are a lot more experienced now and that should show in the way we play our cricket. Last season, we had mostly youngsters in our squad but with the experience they have gained, we will only get better.” Indeed, they will need to get better. Dravid, who played four games last season to score 479 runs at an average of 119.00, won’t be around as much this time round. With the Test series against New Zealand coming up, he will miss the initial part and then again when the team takes on South Africa in December. So, the rest of the players will need to significantly up their game. “Yes, having him around is a big gain. It inspires the rest of the squad and makes them play better than ever but even if he is not around, we know what we have to do,” said Mithun. “That’s what is important. We realise that there is a lot at stake and this time, we want to go one better.” Hunting in pairs If Mithun and Vinay Kumar can achieve their form of last season, that will be half the battle won. While Mithun’s 47 wickets were a spectacular achievement for someone playing his first season, Vinay’s 46 wickets proved that nothing works better than a one-two blow. “Having Vinay at the other end meant a lot to me because he was someone I could turn to for help,” said the speedster. “Whenever, I felt I was going wrong, he would quickly come upto me, calm me down and give me the right advice.” Indeed, last season, Mithun needed the advice. But this time round, he feels he’s much better prepared. “Last season, I was looking to bowl fast but this season I feel that my control is much better and I am getting the ball to leave the batsmen too. So it should be interesting,” said Mithun. Uthappa crucial Another player who will be looking to make his mark will be Robin Uthappa. After being laid low by injury, the former India batsman will look to recapture his 2006-07 Ranji form when he scored a league-leading 854 runs. Manish Pandey was in spectacular touch too and after a few dull India ‘A’ tours, he will be keen to remind the selectors of his presence once more. Ganesh Sathish was brilliant too, scoring 639 runs at 71.00 and batting at number three in Dravid’s absence. All in all, Dravid may be missing but Karnataka are still very strong and one can count on them to repeat the heroics of last season. Uthappa among five stumpers in probables’ list Under Robin Uthappa, Karnataka went down to Mumbai by six runs in the final in Mysore, but throughout the season, the Dravid influence on the team was all too obvious. Young guns like Manish Pandey, Ganesh Satish and Amit Verma with the bat, and Abhimanyu Mithun with the ball stepped up to the plate and made a name for themselves, and Karnataka have every reason to believe that they will build on the gains of the last season when a new campaign gets under way next month. The Test matches against New Zealand will keep Dravid out of the first few matches, but the State selectors haven’t named a deputy yet as they announced a list of 33 probables on Wednesday. Interestingly, Uthappa is one of five designated wicket-keepers in the list, a fact that will keep CM Gautam on his toes. Gautam had a wonderful first-class season after replacing Thilak Naidu behind the stumps, making hundreds in both the Ranji and Duleep Trophies, and it remains to be seen if he is made a sacrifical lamb as Uthappa looks to regain his place in the Indian one-day side by offering his services as a wicketkeeper-batsman. The list of probables: Rahul Dravid (capt), Robin Uthappa (wk), Sunil Joshi, NC Aiyappa, R Vinay Kumar, B Akhil, KB Pawan (wk), Devraj Patil (wk), Ganesh Satish, Rajoo Bhatkal, Udit Patel, Sunil Raju, KP Appanna, C Raghavendra, CM Gautam (wk), Amit Verma, S Arvind, Abhimanyu Mithun, Manish Pandey, KL Rahul, Aditya Sagar, Ryan Ninan, Mayank Agarwal, Kunal Kapoor, Stuart Binny, Abrar Kazi, SL Akshay, BN Bharath, Asghar Pasha, Nitin Bhille (wk), Anirudh Joshi, Karun Nair, Bharath Chipli. Coach: K Sanath Kumar. Assistant coach: Somashekar Shiraguppi.