XIX Commonwealth Games, Delhi, 3-14 October

Okay well I am yet to see a designated thread for discussing the games so I figured I'd make one. The opening ceremony is just hours away and I am preparing myself for a good few weeks of sport. Hoping we can crack 200 medals again :D edit: ------------------------------------------------------------- GENERAL INFO ___________________________________ Official Site : http://www.cwgdelhi2010.org/ Twitter Feed: http://twitter.com/commonwealthdel (gives updates throughout the day) , on ICF homepage as well Video Feed for those in India : http://live.indiatimes.com/cwglive.cms

We are on a revenge mission, says Rajpal Even a small query about India’s performance at the FIH World Cup brings a different reaction on captain Rajpal Singh’s face. He doesn’t want to discuss it anymore. What he wants now is a medal-winning performance from his boys at the Commonwealth Games. “I don’t want to remember anything about the World Cup. Only a medal-winning performance here can help us forget those bad memories,” Rajpal told HT in a sentimental tone during a post-lunch meeting at the Games Village on Wednesday. “CWG is a big occasion for us and I have already told my boys not to miss this opportunity,” he said, adding, “A superb show here would help India go to next month’s Asian Games confidently. “Our plan is to make up for the dismal performance at the World Cup. The boys are doing well and, in my opinion, we are better prepared now,” said Rajpal, who would be spearheading India’s challenge at the Dhyan Chand Stadium, where the hosts had finished ninth at the FIH World Cup in February-March this year. He said the fitness level of players was perfect and they were raring to go. “In our first two practice matches against England, the boys were in perfect rhythm and victories in both encounters have boosted our moral.” Without doubt, the Indian hockey players would be looking for their first medal at the CWG since the discipline became a part of the Games in 1998. “We have worked on specific shortcomings, and I find our preparations are right on track. We have the potential to earn a medal at the CWG, which has been eluding us for so many years.” India are placed in a tough group that includes World champions Australia, Pakistan and Malaysia, who finished in that order at the 2006 Melbourne Games. “We have the home advantage and we aren’t worried about being in the tougher of the two groups. We have to focus on our strengths. In fact, we are on a revenge mission this time,” Rajpal said with a confident smile. :two_thumbs_up:

Yaar really pathetic decision to miss out on the 48 kg gold.. we won the silver and bronze but gold was almost sure It was really horrible from Sonia Chanu to go for 103 kg in her second attempt itself when the gold winner only attempted 100 kg max and was successful only in lifting 99 kg Sonia Chanu should have gone for 100 kg instead in the second attempt and she would have been able to lift it easily and win the gold instead of trying the 103 kg .. at least she should have tried 100 kg in the third attempt if not the second .. all the other competitors were gone and the highest was only 99 kg and she knew it clearly... if she would have gone for 100 kg then I am pretty sure she would have easily lifted it.. big mistake for sure which cost us the first gold of CWG

India at CWG 2010 DaY 1 Tennis India made a confident start to its campaign in the tennis event. Rohan Bopanna scored an effortless 6-1 6-4 win over Uganda's Rober Buyinza in the first round of the men's singles while Rushmi Chakravarthi demolished Lesotho's Pinki Agnes Montlha 6-0 6-1 in the women' singles. However, there was heartbreak for India as well as mixed doubles pair of Bopanna and Nirupama Sanjeev went down fighting 3-6 6-3 3-6 to top seeded Australian duo of Paul Hanley and Anastasia Rodionova. Table tennis Indian women, seeded second in the table tennis team event, started their campaign on a resounding note by blanking Sri Lanka 3-0 in Group D at the Yamuna Sports complex. Mouma Das paved the way with a 11-4 11-5 11-4 demolition of Ishara Madurangi Darshika before Shamini Kumareshan put the hosts 2-0 ahead by outclassing Nuwani Navodya 11-9 11-9 11-7. Reigning national champion Poulomi Ghatak then wrapped up the tie by edging past Kavindi Rukmali 11-8 11-8 11-7 Squash The Indian men's squash team got off to a good start at the Commonwealth Games with three players progressing to the second round on the opening day of the singles event at the Siri Fort Sports Complex here. The trio of Saurav Ghosal, Harinder Pal Sandhu and Siddharth Suchde advanced to the round of 32 without much trouble. However, it was curtains for world ranked 365 Sandeep Jangra, who went down fighting to 14th seed Australian Ryan Cuskelly.

Indian women win silver and bronze in weight lifting :aha: Silver-----> CHANU NGANGBAM Soniya -----> Women's 48kg Category Bronze ----->ATOM Sandhya Rani Devi -------->Women's 48kg Category
Did you watch it.. I am still pissed off for us missing the gold there.. Chanu should have gone for 100 kg instead of 103 kg in the second attempt .. it was sureshot gold for India if she attempted 100 kg .. the Nigerian winner only went for 99 kg and won it .. Chanu has lifted upto 102 kg in previous competitions and 100 kg would have been a cakewalk for her and a sure shot gold for India .. she tried 103 kg in her second as well as third attempts .. she should have acted wisely and tried 100 kg at least in the last attempt and the gold was sure for us .. I am really pissed off on missing that gold .. it was ours just if we avoided the simple mistake

Did you watch it.. I am still pissed off for us missing the gold there.. Chanu should have gone for 100 kg instead of 103 kg in the second attempt .. it was sureshot gold for India if she attempted 100 kg .. the Nigerian winner only went for 99 kg and won it .. Chanu has lifted upto 102 kg in previous competitions and 100 kg would have been a cakewalk for her and a sure shot gold for India .. she tried 103 kg in her second as well as third attempts .. she should have acted wisely and tried 100 kg at least in the last attempt and the gold was sure for us .. I am really pissed off on missing that gold .. it was ours just if we avoided the simple mistake
no i didnt watch it, is it allowed to lift a lower weight once u have failed at a higher weight? :hmmm: