Bollywood thrilled by Endhiran

fineleg

Exactly, Yoda! Avatar had CGI. But CGI alone did not give Cameron the credit that he got. He dealt with a subject - a multi layered one and actually came out entertaining the audience even as he dealt with moral issues. I am not saying that the direction was out of the world. But it was creditable. The same cannot be said about Enthiran. Even the simple scene in 'I, Robot' where the machine is powered off, is evocative. It appeals to our emotions. On the contrary, in Enthiran, how touching was the scene where Rajni the Robot dismantles himself part by part while he carries on in a soliloquy about man and morals?
If you look at my list above (which you conveniently dismissed as nothing to do with direction), not everything was related to CGI alone. It was more to do with how the CGI was used by the director, including the baby delivery scene. BTW, the scene which was more touching (than the one which you have listed above) was the one where Rajini the Scientist destroys his Robot after the failed Military demo fiasco. Don't tell me that scene was cr@p. That was CGI at it's best in the movie, cause we saw the Robot being dismantled and parts thrown out while we could still see the reality of the Robo't face pleading to be allowed to live. If you didn't like that scene, I really have nothing much to discuss, cause rest of the movie will definitely be cr@p for you.

If you look at my list above (which you conveniently dismissed as nothing to do with direction), not everything was related to CGI alone. It was more to do with how the CGI was used by the director, including the baby delivery scene. BTW, the scene which was more touching (than the one which you have listed above) was the one where Rajini the Scientist destroys his Robot after the failed Military demo fiasco. Don't tell me that scene was cr@p. That was CGI at it's best in the movie, cause we saw the Robot being dismantled and parts thrown out while we could still see the reality of the Robo't face pleading to be allowed to live. If you didn't like that scene, I really have nothing much to discuss, cause rest of the movie will definitely be cr@p for you.
There was incredulity in that scene. It was milked for all it was worth. I will not dismiss that scene. Not totally. However, the million dollar question is this - would a scientist so smart as to create a robot which actually has feelings (apart from all the physical skills that it has) be so simple minded as to beat the crap out of it when it fails a test, that too when the authority seems to have a vested interest? Do think about that. This too is among the many scenes where logical thought goes out the window. Oh by the way, what was so great about the CGI in that baby delivery scene? I think the movie had much better usage of CGI techniques than that one.

Also I did not conveniently dismiss your list. I simply analyzed it and brought out questions on them. It appears that the director's usage of CGI happens to be the most notable point related to direction and screenplay in the movie - going by what you are saying.

There was incredulity in that scene. It was milked for all it was worth. I will not dismiss that scene. Not totally. However, the million dollar question is this - would a scientist so smart as to create a robot which actually has feelings (apart from all the physical skills that it has) be so simple minded as to beat the crap out of it when it fails a test, that too when the authority seems to have a vested interest? Do think about that. This too is among the many scenes where logical thought goes out the window.
Oh by the way, what was so great about the CGI in that baby delivery scene? I think the movie had much better usage of CGI techniques than that one.
There are two issues here. You are disagreeing with the story line. The director chose the story that his Scientist whose primary motive was to create a Robot to help the Military now finds the Robot is more interested in love than serving the country and hence decides to destroy it as he knows that a creature as powerful as this, if left unchecked can become a menace, if not used properly. I can accept that story line. Now the real question is, assuming the story line, was the scene done perfectly, especially for an Indian movie? My answer is an emphatic YES.
Not just CGI, use of technology and direction overall of showing to a live audience the delivery via ultrasound all via the Robot's magic. If you compare this baby delivery scene to the much applauded baby delivery scene in 3 idiots, this one wins hands down for me, although they are all different context, different technology, etc.

so much details about the movie disclosed on this thread :headshake: ab dekhne ko bacha kya hai :blink:
Well I knew most of what has been written before I went to see based on reviews on the web. There are no spoilers here, just some details about a few scenes.

The movie is only a couple of weeks old...spoiler block the story.. I am about 1.5 hours into the movie and its a piece of crap. The story - Pacing is awful. The CGI - Crap. What's with the fast forward fast running off the 80s? This is supposed to be the most expensive movie in India. Acting - Ash as supreme bimbo is annoying. Even with all the crappy stuff, the most annoying/disgusting thing in this movie is just before the

Mohanjadaro song. Ash almost gets sexually assaulted. Rajini and Ash escape and are laughing about in after 10 seconds as if its a great couples bonding moment and then sing a song. The mosquito bit is vintage rajini and aimed at front benchers. I can look past it, but will never recommend such a movie for any of my non-Indian friends.

so much details about the movie disclosed on this thread :headshake: ab dekhne ko bacha kya hai :blink:
Believe me, most of the people who went to watch the movie here in Tamil Nadu knew some of the basic storyline being discussed. And it is not as if there is going to be a complex storyline. A lot of the movie is about glitz and style - and that does not need any story....or screenplay.

Yoda - the point is not about disagreeing with the storyline. You wanted to know about direction and screenplay and so I mentioned a couple of points alone. The point is about the illogical choices that the movie makes. I am not talking about a robot flying either. That part of it is believable. For example what is not believable is that human villains can take about 5 to 10 minutes of punching from a robot who is built using steel or some other metal alloy! So on so forth. There is something called suspension of belief. A movie has to get a viewer into that state gradually. That is when the sci-fi or horror genre works. Enthiran can be enjoyed only if you wantonly step into that state. The movie does nothing to help you in that regard.

Morriz's logic is: Other people like it, so I like it. I like it because its popular. I will listen/watch something because it 'appeals to the masses'. They're in it only because of the money, and I like that. Each to their own.
There’s obviously another marirs_mania in this very forum saying things that you’ve attributed to me. But let me break it down for ya; ‘Other people like it, so I like It. Other people like it, so I like it. I like it because its popular. I will listen/watch something because it 'appeals to the masses' – Never said i I like Indian cinema the way it is... In fact, the truth is quite the opposite. I must have seen a sum total of 6-7 India movies (Tamizh, Hindi) in the last 5 years. So much for the ‘I like’ part.. :giggle: My position is more like ‘This is why I think the things are the way they are..’ They're in it only because of the money, and I like that – Yes for the first half, everyone’s in it for the money (duh!) and ‘No’ for the 2nd part. I think this kind of populist cinema leads to a lot of pathetic movies.

The movie is only a couple of weeks old...spoiler block the story.. I am about 1.5 hours into the movie and its a piece of crap. The story - Pacing is awful. The CGI - Crap. What's with the fast forward fast running off the 80s? This is supposed to be the most expensive movie in India. Acting - Ash as supreme bimbo is annoying. Even with all the crappy stuff, the most annoying/disgusting thing in this movie is just before the
Mohanjadaro song. Ash almost gets sexually assaulted. Rajini and Ash escape and are laughing about in after 10 seconds as if its a great couples bonding moment and then sing a song. The mosquito bit is vintage rajini and aimed at front benchers. I can look past it, but will never recommend such a movie for any of my non-Indian friends.
Totally agree. Vaseegaran’s characterization was GODAWFUL! He was yelling and shouting at Chitti half of the time. Esp with the Kalabhavan Mani scene, he surprisingly came across as being very meek! I think Shankar tried to structure that scene in a humorous sort of way, but it ended up totally back-firing. The editing was pathetic as well. Actually, the script had a lot of potential, with the classic Robot Vs Rajni clash, but because they made Vaseegaran’s character look so weak, the ‘clash’ never really materialized. Why the eff would Vaseegaran haggle with his own creation for his gf? The movie could have been made in much better manner if they had tried harder, but one thing’s for sure – They have put in a lot of effort with the production and CGI. You have to commend them for that.

Yes' date=' I actually liked it. :) Consider me partial towards medieval subjects in general :). Also I thought the movie's scope was good. Even though it faltered at various levels as far as execution is concerned.[/quote'] Aayirathil Oruvan was one of the best Tamil movies in the recent past. Flawed in parts, but 2nd half is too good. Selva is one of the few directors who think out of the box and make quality, yet mainstream movies. Like his all films from Kadhal Kondein. :icflove:

Aayirathil Oruvan was one of the best Tamil movies in the recent past. Flawed in parts' date=' but 2nd half is too good. Selva is one of the few directors who think out of the box and make quality, yet mainstream movies. Like his all films from Kadhal Kondein. :icflove:[/quote'] So, finally I am not the only one! :)