Wholesale change of teams every 3 years is BS

yoda

The way teams change is quite stupid. There has to be: 1. some sense of continuity 2. some sense of local identity (Delhi players for Delhi, Mumbaikars for Mumbai etc...) Otherwise it becomes meaningless.
True. I think they need to drop the city names from the team names. Makes no sense. How many Bengalis play for KKR?

All the rules are in place for the franchises to pick local players and have a team with local players as a backdrop to Indian national and International players as core. But no team enforces this (even CSK and MI would drop the locals if they didnt perform really well) because the number of games a team plays is really low and its just for 6 weeks. If the tournament goes on for 3~4 months, then there would be sense to rotate the players, dig deeper for local players. But as it stands, most players can play 14 T20 games in 6 weeks without exhaustion and so the franchises doesnt have to worry about the local player rule other than having token local players who will probably will never get a game.

They better implement trades/buyouts during offseason or even during the season. Otherwise lot of talent will rot on the benches where they could be easily utilized by other teams. Otherwise teams will become stagnant and trying to develop and progess as a unit will be hard.

:agree: they should follow the EPL model.
THat would be dumbest move to make. Ambani/Mallya will buy/sign every single player in a open market. They should include a hard salary cap with trading/drafting process like the NBA. That would be the best model to follow for a tournament like IPL. Salaries should be all regulated. 1st yr= x amount 2nd yr = x amount 3rd yr depending on your value/performance = Max amount or Minimum amount or to a agreed price. 4th yr = Rinse and repeat form Step 3.

I fully agree with the wholesale changes. Firstly, if retained the 2 teams will lose much value with best players already gone elsewhere. Furthermore, if you are indian and from one of those states, you should support them anyways. After all favorite players is relative but birthplace is permanent. More importantly, already there can cases of favorilism in IPL, when clearly it was decided when IPL started, everyone would be auctioned after 3 years. There were no voices then but then suddenly 2 teams made noise while the other 8 were still sticking to the orginal rules. Yet, the 2 teams won the battle. This is clearly unfair and so there have been some cheating instances already in IPL.

THat would be dumbest move to make. Ambani/Mallya will buy/sign every single player in a open market. They should include a hard salary cap with trading/drafting process like the NBA. That would be the best model to follow for a tournament like IPL. Salaries should be all regulated. 1st yr= x amount 2nd yr = x amount 3rd yr depending on your value/performance = Max amount or Minimum amount or to a agreed price. 4th yr = Rinse and repeat form Step 3.
Isnt that already present, franchisees are allowed to retain four players and they can pay any salary to them which doesn't come in main cap. so richer team owners are anyways able to retain their cream and use bidding cap for others.

More importantly, already there can cases of favorilism in IPL, when clearly it was decided when IPL started, everyone would be auctioned after 3 years. There were no voices then but then suddenly 2 teams made noise while the other 8 were still sticking to the orginal rules. Yet, the 2 teams won the battle. This is clearly unfair and so there have been some cheating instances already in IPL.
Thank goodness for that change. Without that, we would have 8 teams with no identity as opposed to 6 (excluding the new comers).

Isnt that already present, franchisees are allowed to retain four players and they can pay any salary to them which doesn't come in main cap. so richer team owners are anyways able to retain their cream and use bidding cap for others.
Not really. This whole current process is based around the auction. We are not going to have a auction every season. How will teams trade and gain new players? There is no current process to accommodate that.

yeah, that reshuffeling is the one thing i hate the most.

I think BCCI were forced into wholesale auction because of Modi's decision to increase the teams to 10 . I dont think we will see anymore wholesale auctions for atleast a few years
they could have handled it like the nba did. every team gets to protect a certain amount of player and the new franchise could have chosen unprotected players.
The problem is most will want to go to Chennai or Mumbai because of owners and to play under Sachin and Dhoni . This would then become like EPL or Laliga where only top 2 can win the title and will become boring
has far as i know there is a $9m salary cap for each team. so they would actually go to a team, where they can earn the most. they should take a hard look at the nba modell and elements from nhl and nfl. new players who want to join the league, should be "drafted" not auctioned.

yeah, that reshuffeling is the one thing i hate the most. they could have handled it like the nba did. every team gets to protect a certain amount of player and the new franchise could have chosen unprotected players. has far as i know there is a $9m salary cap for each team. so they would actually go to a team, where they can earn the most. they should take a hard look at the nba modell and elements from nhl and nfl. new players who want to join the league, should be "drafted" not auctioned.
totally agree with the draft vs auction part. we had a thread on that last season and most here seem to like this cattle auction method. :dontknow:

I have no idea why they dont do what: National Football League, National Basketball Association, National Hockey League and Major League Baseball all do. Have a salary cap...have a draft. Draft players sign them to contracts on what you can negotiate and play. End of story.