Retention or Auction

someone

Seems like there is still a debate going on this issue. For me, it was the right decision, this was always known yet 2 teams out of 10 still got their wishes true when they were able to retain their players. There was a clear influence in the decision process. CSK Owner= BCCI Board Member:(( This is what I wrote few months ago My point is who makes the decision and where do the ALL franchises stand in the decision process? First, about soccer clubs. But there situation is different, they have divisions. So if a new team comes, it will come from the 2nd division to the 1st division. The new team will already have players,name and mainly will be operational. Compare that with the likes of Pune,Kochi: they have nothing and will start from pure zero. And if we talk about football. Do you know how the 25 man squad rule was established in EPL. There was a vote among all 20 clubs and the majority agreed and therefore it went ahead. This is how they operate and so clubs are involved. And certainly your justification itself is wrong, will Delhi people stop supporting Daredevils after Gambhir left? Will Punjab stop supporting King XI as no Yuvraj? No, they only want their team to do well with whatever players they have. So this justification is wrong, but the point is forget if it was wrong or right decision but rather who made this or basically my point which I wrote above! This is a dangerous tread, if these franchises are ignored as it will only lead to bias towards their favorite teams...

It should be both and upto the players. When IPL started in 2008, the expansion was planned to happen in 2011. At that time, IPL shortsightedly thought that the fans support will be with their city and each team will be identified with their team. They might have also thought that only the big Indian international players matter and that each franchises will only be identified with these select players. They didn't really expect the IPL to grow so fast. IPL was supposed to be a loss leader for atleast 7 years. 3 franchises made profit in the very 1st year and all the franchises made profit in its 3rd year. IPL has become on par with the World cup in terms of Indian Ad money in a very short time and has cornered unique markets, such as aunties that International cricket hasnt. IPL did not become what they expected it to be when it first started. They made a mistake at the start and had a semi-retention plan this time. Hopefully, they think more about fanbase the next time.

How can you still conduct retention/auction systems now? Its so artificial and pointless. Best way is to have a trade/buyout/contracts much the NBA, EPL etc. Teams can strategically trade/sign players according their needs and are not forced because some bcci babu told them so. All players who are looking to play IPL international/domestic should be integrated through a draft process. The worst team in each season gets to pick first so they have a chance at the best players etc. Contracts should be long term and short, players have to have a equal right in say between Team 1, Team 2 and the player.