What does India get by playing cricket ?

satyam1729

I am saying economically India does not get anything from playing cricket. TV revenue generated from India during WC was 220 million $. BCCI gets only 100 million $. Rest of the money goes to ICC which distributes to other members. Isn't it time we start using that money for development of other sports or even better cricket structures ?

I am saying economically India does not get anything from playing cricket. TV revenue generated from India during WC was 220 million $. BCCI gets only 100 million $. Rest of the money goes to ICC which distributes to other members. Isn't it time we start using that money for development of other sports or even better cricket structures ?
Why do you think that ICC is bringing in test championship, has champions trophy even when noone cares and has a T20 WC 3 times in the last 4 years? When it comes to ICC tournaments, ICC gets most of the moolah. National cricket boards make money from home series i.e. if Aus tour India, BCCI sells the TV rights and keeps the money and vice versa. BCCI is the richest cricket board in the world and has something like 300 million $ from TV rights of IPL and home games every year. IPL itself generates more revenue than the WC for BCCI and we have one every year. BCCI job is to develop cricket in India. Other sports should be developed by the sports committee. BCCI has done a decent job so far. The stadiums are great these days, ranji players make more than other asian international players, IPL has made some 30 Indian cricketers millionaires, etc.

National integration and National Pride more than anything else. A sense of what is generally called in strategic circles as soft power. By dominating cricket (which is mostly played by commonwealth countries), India has proven that it is now the most powerful entity in what was once the British Empire. The challenge of course is now to spread this soft power throughput the world and not just the commonwealth, for which cricket isn't an adequate instrument.

why should the revenue generated by Cricket be used for development of other sports in the country ? Dont think in other soccer playing nations such a thing is done to promote other sports especially Cricket. Cricketers have come up all down from the scratch and build up there reputation , they aint like the sissy footballers of the country who give lack of funds as an excuse for there inadequancies

Why does cricket need to have such a great purpose to help charity or 'the economy' or whatever else? If you really want charity then stop watching the IPL and do some charity work yourself. People make all sorts of completely un-economical decisions: having kids, drinking coke instead of water, running marathons and so on. People do these things because they want to and some clever sods milk it and make millions. I used to think a lot on the lines of 'why couldnt they give spend it on charity instead?' before realizing that it really doesnt work. Why would you be posting on a cricket forum on a laptop and order a pizza every week if you can spend the time and money on charity instead? I presume you go to a restaurant every now and again: Why would you waste that money on overpriced food when some kids are starving to death in some other part of the world? etc, etc.

Adds to the tax kitty of the govt of India. IPL alone means 200+ crores of tax collections.
Yes. Moar moniez for the swiss banks :isalute:

I am saying economically India does not get anything from playing cricket. TV revenue generated from India during WC was 220 million $. BCCI gets only 100 million $. Rest of the money goes to ICC which distributes to other members.
The other have mentioned it already. The govt gets tax. People get employed and get entertained. Think about it, if India got nothing by playing cricket, a politician ( Sharad Pawar) would never even want to be the president of ICC/BCCI etc. Its only the chance to play with big $$$ that makes politicians enter cricket.
Isn't it time we start using that money for development of other sports or even better cricket structures ?
The other sports are direct competitors to cricket. People either watch them or cricket. People either play them or cricket. Why is it BCCI's duty to develop other sports? BCCI has made cricket a very viable commercial sport. The top one. Its sole function is to ensure that this status quo remains. Would you say it is Coca Cola's duty to develop lassi and nimbu paani in the country?

Guest Shivani
kyun paisa paisa karti hai kyun paise pe tu marti hai :dance: