The philosophy thread

varun

How was the world formed? ... Where did the galaxies come from? I guess what we are asking here is whether God created them? Does God exist? Occam's razor would say not. What's the evidence for Him? Why should we make assumptions without proof?
Lets not talk about a God yet. Would any reasonable explanation exist for the nothingness that preceded the formation of our universe ? If there was indeed nothingness. Like I asked about our comprehension of infinity, I'm not sure we can comprehend nothingness either. So our reason wants to invent a God who can fathom these concepts.
So why did life begin on earth? Dunno. It could be that this was the only planet where there was water and oxygen and light in just the right amount. What are the odds of getting it just right by chance? I'd say very low indeed. So did God have anything to do with it?
First I'd like you to define life. What is life ? Lets assume there is another form of matter that has a different set of 5 senses from ours. Would it be reasonable to assume that they co-exist without our knowledge and each of us think the other is non-living ?
What happens when we die? That's a really tough one. Without life, we are just organic matter, but what happens to that elusive life. Is it destructible? This is an area where your religious faith, your beliefs come into play. I have seen things which have intrigued me, so I am loath to write it off outright.
I agree, religious faith comes in where our reason fails.

I don't think you need five senses to define life. As I said, the humblest bacterium is also a living entity. What form of matter other than organic matter, would have senses? I find that question hard to comprehend.

- Where did the world come from ?
Ultimately, i don't know. The chain of causality and phenomenon of its creation can be stretched back only so much before i don't know whats going on.
- Who are you ?
I will tell you when i find out. I may know what i am but who i am is still a question i don't think i can answer for many decades yet.
- What happens when you die ?
I wish i can tell you when i find out !

Not good enough, CC. Put your back to it, man!
That is the end-of-the-chain answer i can provide. Ie, i can always write a little snippet about solar system..condensing matter...galaxies forming..big bang happening..but i dunno where it all started. Same with death. As for who I am - i don't think i have sufficient life experiences to be reflecting on the "I am this" because that seems like a 'project I is complete' sort of thinking. I could be wrong but thats what i get out of the question 'who am I?'. Since i think that I have a lot more 'years of experience' to fall upon me for the 'statue of me' to start looking like a statue, i don't know who i am. For i still see 'I' as a largely unfinished block for the statue.

ok, let me rephrase the question. Why are you ? or Why am I ? What is "I" ? The ego ? consciousness ? Do you think a new-born baby has this concept of "I" ? Or a bacteria ? Regardless of how low down you go in the life-chain, there is this concept of survival of self and replicating self that is prevalent among "living" things. Is this the essence of life then ? Is this what drives the "I" ?

Questions: - Where did the world come from ? Everything came from the matter in the universe...now where did matter come from in the first place? I think that question is like questioning any axiom-our whole scientific knowledge is based on certain fundamental facts. - Who are you ? - What happens when you die ? still thinking about the above two(: It doesn't matter that you come up with answers or not. It's just the thought process and the follow-up questions that are interesting.

3 Questions: - Where did the world come from ?
It never came from anywhere. It was always here and we just appeared after millions of years of evolution.
- Who are you ?
Main samay hoon! :) ... a la BR Chopra's credits from Mahabharath
Havent had a chance to find out yet - will try to let you know once it happens.

- Where did the world come from ? No one on this planet can provide you an honest and final answer to that question. Science can come the closest as it is based on existing evidence and interpretation of that evidence. If creationist find the scientific explanations too simple then the religious explanations is as dumb as it can get. - Who are you ? I am a very selfish organism + I am a human skin bag full of stinky crap. - What happens when you die ? Nothing and everything. It's lights out and there won't be any after life. Let alone reincarnation or heaven.

3 Questions: - Where did the world come from ?
I don't know but we are getting closer. We have got to the point of explaining the universe reasonably accurately till Planck's time which is around 10^-43 seconds after its formation. How did something come about from nothingness etc. are all questions unanswered in that tiny fraction of a second when Gravity doesn't want to sleep with Quantum Mechanics in the framework of our understanding of the world.
- Who are you ?
I am a part of the universe who due to some random happenstances has acquired the power to pave my own path in nature. Obviously as I keep on testing this power I keep myself finding myself short and go back to the drawing board.
Nothing happens to me when I die. My consciousness ceases to exist. As for my remnants they become part of the future of the world, much like I was the future of some past world. The people who like me feel sad about the loss of me in a certain state but inadvertently find someone/something else to replace that loss which could well be a part of my original existence. PS : I have not read any responses to the thread as I wanted to give my answers before doing so and would love to discuss other people's ideas.

My world comes from a dream that I am dreaming currently. Every person I meet is a character of my dream, every moment is in actuality an event within the dream. Another character in this dream. I will wake up. xxxx
What happens when you wake up ? Don't the same questions apply to the world that you wake up in ?

I don't know but we are getting closer. We have got to the point of explaining the universe reasonably accurately till Planck's time which is around 10^-43 seconds after its formation. How did something come about from nothingness etc. are all questions unanswered in that tiny fraction of a second when Gravity doesn't want to sleep with Quantum Mechanics in the framework of our understanding of the world.
How do scientists explain the concept of nothingness Shwetabh ? Does it mean that that is the beginning of all time and space ? In my chronological mind, I'll still ask what was before the nothingness

How do scientists explain the concept of nothingness Shwetabh ? Does it mean that that is the beginning of all time and space ? In my chronological mind' date=' I'll still ask what was before the nothingness[/quote'] Thats a very open question in science, Varun. I am sure you would have heard about String Theory and Quantum Gravity. They are attempts to get closer and closer in time to the evolution of the universe, but at the moment Physics and Mathematics is not developed enough to explore those realms. What gives me hope is that a few hundred years back we thought that the Earth was flat and at the center of the universe!!

What happens when you wake up ? Don't the same questions apply to the world that you wake up in ?
Well then you go on creating yet another world, you forget about yourself and the dream to find it adventurous and to discover yourself.

Well then you go on creating yet another world' date=' you forget about yourself and the dream to find it adventurous and to discover yourself.[/quote'] Didn't get that. Elaborate please ?

Guest dada_rocks

Bhaiya I am down with pollen-attack and slowness of mind is one of the symptom and then there is anti-hitsmine dose which is keeping me dorwsy all day . Aur us par se bhari bahrkama squestion. I hate freaking pollination time of summer.

Where did this world come from? When GOD ALMIGHTY was sitting in His eternal loneliness and He wanted to see his reflection. His desire was so powerful that his desire became a power, or Shakti who separated from him and then to fulfill His desire created all the 14 universes. It all came from a single Point or a bindu. That is why this universe is growing but the start point is so far that human in his all intelligence and capacity cannot even calculate how far it is from where we are. After the universe was created, Bramha (The creator) and Vishnu (The care taker) were created. From Bramha all the Sun, Moon were formed. And then on the earth, Prithvi Mata came and settled down when the life started on the earth. That is the reason why there is no life anywhere else. W/o Prithvi mata, there cant be any life. She makes it what we see on the earth. So Shakti, to please the God Almighty, then started to help evolve Humans from different stages until now that we have come to human awareness. We have two things within us, A spirit (reflection of a God Almighty) and a power of Shakti to connect back to the God Almighty. She has created us this way because, when God Almighty sees his reflection in Human beings, he will be very please with this creation. So Who we are?? We are just true Spirit? Nothing else....From Human Awareness we are just one level from the ultimate awareness that we need for our Nirvana or whatever you call it. What happens to us after death? Purpose of our being is to become one with the God Almighty ie. this spirit completely dissolves in Him. Until then we will continue to re-incarnate. We cannot run away from our lives. If we end our life thinking our sufferings will end, then that is not true. We come back to suffer the same in the next birth. We should rather face whatever comes our way. But there are better ways too..... When our path of accent is towards Him, then all these suffering automatically go away....These materialistic and mundane thing dont really matter.... This is what I know about these things. I live around these questions all the time... but there is endless knowledge out there.... man I am a slow starter and slower learner in this area too.....

How do scientists explain the concept of nothingness Shwetabh ? Does it mean that that is the beginning of all time and space ? In my chronological mind' date=' I'll still ask what was before the nothingness[/quote'] Its a valid question and scientists kind of have no clue of whats going on before the condensation period.Even this big-bang is an unproven theory that is held dear simply because of Occam's razor principle. However, Alan Guth, one of the scientists i consider emminent in the universal hypothesis field, defines 'nothingness' as a state where nothing existed. This isnt the same as space- he defines it as nothing - not time, not space, not the time-space continuum, matter, energy etc. Rather hard to visualize! :whatchutalkingabout

Bhaiya I am down with pollen-attack and slowness of mind is one of the symptom and then there is anti-hitsmine dose which is keeping me dorwsy all day . Aur us par se bhari bahrkama squestion. I hate freaking pollination time of summer.
How unusual and rare it is for Indians to have pollen-allergy. Bhaiyya desh jao..lagta hai ki desh ki reetu choot gai hai aap se