Books: A thread for avid readers to reccomend and discuss what they are reading....

gorah_pindu

great thread! My favorite book of all time. I've read it 3-4 times at different points in my life: siddhartha.jpg Shwet, nice list and I expected nothing less. Conrad and Camus will always remain favorites. I remember I didn't want to finish Heart of Darkness because it was apparent what was going to happen, and I didn't really want it to happen. I got the same shudders up my spine when I saw Apocalypse Now, btw. ( I think Conrad's books and Apocalypse would make an excellent college class.) Great Gatsby (along with the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand) will always be irritating to me. I don't know if it was my state of mind at the time or what, but I felt no (none!) empathy for the characters. They just ended up being superficial caricatures of 'heroic' people. But a lot of people love both those books, so maybe I'm missing the point. Radhika -- I love wodehouse too. It's gotta be an indian thing because none of my friends here get it. Here's what I'm reading right now (I have a horrible habit of starting multiple books): 6a00c2251c83f2f21900ccff8b283b6731-500pi0375702245.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg6a00c2251d92a98fdb00ccff859a4f985d-500pi

Vroom....most people have extreme reactions to wodehouse......they either love it or don't touch it ever again.The initial plot does take a bit of patience and of course you also need that "wodehouse" sense of humour and a simple mind:tounge_smile:to be able to find humour in what is essentially all about similar characters of aunts,uncles ,faithful friends and good for nothing besotted young men .....broken engagements .....and one big plot about pincing some object....:giggle: Man..I need to get my hands on one soon.....

I think I've read ALL of wodehouse. And I hate re-reading the same stories, so I've been an unhappy camper for the past few years :( PS: Anybody read Sophie's World ? Very simple book on philosophy.

I think I've read ALL of wodehouse. And I hate re-reading the same stories, so I've been an unhappy camper for the past few years :( PS: Anybody read Sophie's World ? Very simple book on philosophy.
I read sophie's world sometime back...quite enjoyed it.....while on Philosophy...anyone's read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"? Phenomenal.....still havent got to the end though....slow read!

I read sophie's world sometime back...quite enjoyed it.....while on Philosophy...anyone's read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"? Phenomenal.....still havent got to the end though....slow read!
lol tell me about it, I first started reading it 3 years back .. haven't yet finished. :hysterical:

Interesting that you dont mention The Outsider (of Meursault' date=' Marie fame) as one of your favorite books - you even quote Camus in your signature.[/quote'] I think the older translations were called "The Outsider" and the newer ones are called "The Stranger" which has duly been listed.