Charity Dinners

Dhondy

Is this an acceptable way to contribute to charity? I am a sociopath, don't like making small talk, and absolutely detest the oneupmanship that is prevalent in the overseas Indian community, in particular. I'd rather be sat in an nice restaurant with my nearest and dearest, pouring over the menu, than gulping down chicken bhuna while trying to exchange plesantries with ladies who wear saris, whose tariff that could probably fund the budget of a small developing nation. Now is that charity, or is that ostentation at its worst? Or am I being too harsh? Is it quite alright to have a meal among fellow expatriates in a good cause?

Its true that most of these dinners are organized by individuals who want to raise their social profile rather than do good for the needy. Instead of going to that dinner and shelling out lots of money not knowing whats going to happen to it , we might as well send a check to a credible charity institution in India.

Guest dada_rocks
Its true that most of these dinners are organized by individuals who want to raise their social profile rather than do good for the needy. Instead of going to that dinner and shelling out lots of money not knowing whats going to happen to it ' date=' we might as well send a check to a credible charity institution in India.[/quote'] I say charity is too important endeavour to wait till whole humanity attains nirvan and thereby stops seeking some recognition for it. If someone solicits leap in social profile through charity so be it.

Is this an acceptable way to contribute to charity? I am a sociopath, don't like making small talk, and absolutely detest the oneupmanship that is prevalent in the overseas Indian community, in particular. I'd rather be sat in an nice restaurant with my nearest and dearest, pouring over the menu, than gulping down chicken bhuna while trying to exchange plesantries with ladies who wear saris, whose tariff that could probably fund the budget of a small developing nation. Now is that charity, or is that ostentation at its worst? Or am I being too harsh? Is it quite alright to have a meal among fellow expatriates in a good cause?
Not harsh at all! Every Indian event I went to has been about comparing each others danda! The amount of materialism found in overseas Indian community is mind blowing considering some of our ancient traditions. I hear that back home things are worse.

Things must be different in that part of the world Dhondy. I go to the City center for the Diwali (to be hones there are less Indians and more locals) get together and it is a great experience. Good food, lot of colours and a good cultural fest. It's ok to go for a charity. You contribute something and you also get to eat some good food. You or your better half will not have to cook either for a night. :teeth_smile: