Graham Ford confirmed as India's coach

Ford was coach of the first team to beat India in India for 15 years' date=' not just defeat but a comprehensive whitewash.[/quote'] The 99/00 team was the worst ever Indian team since god knows when. Tendulkar the captain, Kapil Dev the coach...:thumbs_down: Beating a sh*tty team like that isn't saying much.

The argument that good teams by respond well to any coach by default isnt that convincing. Remember , it was under this Greg chappell that we were among the best teams in the world in late 2005-2006. After that, It was a case critical players losing form and distintegration of team spirit due to ego clashe... So here , it was a case of the SAME team under the SAME coach performing in totally different fashions..

Graham who ?? Graham Ford to be India's next coach Anand Vasu in Chennai Graham Ford was appointed India's coach on Saturday, filling a two-month-old vacancy and ending a search that seemed to have come to life in only the past week. Ford, the players' choice for the job, has been offered a one-year contract and is expected to start work during India's tour of Ireland later this month. http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/297443.html ----------------------------------- I was chatting to Dom (Gayle_4! an AC member) this morning and asked, "Who the hell is Graham Ford, India's new coach?" Not surprisingly, he replied, "No idea" icon_biggrin.gif I did a search and found he played 7 first class matches in Sth. Africa. Didn't bowl and averaged 13.5 with the bat from 13 innings. Which brought up two names: John Buchanan and Greg Chappell. Chappell: 321 first class matches (87 Tests) for a batting average of 52.2 and 291 wickets @ 29.95 Coaching record: Dismal. Coached South Australia to 4th, 4th, 6th, 4th and 4th in a six team comp over 5 years. Coached India to some success in ODIs and left a star studded Test team about where he found it - underachieving. Resigned after a humiliating ODI World Cup failure. Buchanan: 7 first class matches. Batting average 12.3 and no wickets. Remarkably similar to Ford. Coaching record: What can I say? Outstandingly successful will suffice. From his bio: "John Buchanan will always be renowned for delivering Queensland their first Sheffield Shield title in the 1994-1995 season, his first season with the Bulls. In his five years coaching the Queensland Bulls, they won the Sheffield Shield and the Mercantile Mutual Cup twice. John became the Australian Cricket Team coach in 1999 and over the next eight years led the team to a world record of 16 straight Test Match victories, an unprecedented 22 undefeated World Cups matches including two final wins, and 14 consecutive One-Day International victories. During this time the Australian Cricket Team were the World Cup Champions, Test Cricket World Champions and holders of The Ashes." So, Ford has the first part working in his favour. His qualifications. icon_biggrin.gif

Ford: 7 first class matches in Sth. Africa. Didn't bowl and averaged 13.5 with the bat from 13 innings.
Buchanan: 7 first class matches. Batting average 12.3 and no wickets. Remarkably similar to Ford. Coaching record: What can I say? Outstandingly successful will suffice.
:teeth_smile::teeth_smile: ... Wow that's remarkably similar indeed !! Good catch ! Here's hoping for a Buchanan-esque coaching stint for Ford :beer_yum:

I hate the drama that surrounds any event concerning BCCI these days. They were supposed to decide on a coach few days ago but then out of nowhere they picked Ford and Emburey as the candidates. Prior to that every bloody day there were articles with BCCI and Whatmore talking about the future of Indian cricket. A coach visits India for an interview, it makes up a huge drama. A coach is picked amidst drama, a coach resigns amidst drama. I can't believe why they can't keep these pretty low profile.

I hate the drama that surrounds any event concerning BCCI these days. They were supposed to decide on a coach few days ago but then out of nowhere they picked Ford and Emburey as the candidates. Prior to that every bloody day there were articles with BCCI and Whatmore talking about the future of Indian cricket. A coach visits India for an interview' date=' it makes up a huge drama. A coach is picked amidst drama, a coach resigns amidst drama. I can't believe why they can't keep these pretty low profile.[/quote'] Must agree. The machinations of the BCCI, PCB and the WICB are extremely counter productive and obviously very sad for the fans. And, at the top, the ICC sets a poor example.

Just catching up with some cricket news after a hectic weekend. When i first heard Ford's name, i wasnt thrilled, but after reading a bit about him, am optimistic that his low key personality along with his professionalism that saw SA win 80% of the test series toured under him (not to mention the impressive ODI run), will help our players. God knows why Emburey out of all coaches was the second candidate. I could think of only two reasons: a) They absolute wanna make sure Ford is picked, so lined up a dodo as his competition AND/OR b) They wanna sucker punch Pakistan/Lanka hoping that the losing candidate would likely end up in one of those places (like Moody did after losing out to Chappell). If Embuery ends up in one of those two countries, BCCI would have killed two in one stone :-)

Pakistan would NEVER take someone who is rejected by India. It would be considered national shame by many of the people there. The same PCB which said it was interested in hiring Whatmore wouldnt even consider him now , purely because he chose to contest for the Indian post..