Sachin Tendulkar or Vivian Richards?

No. We can not for the following reasons (though I would admit that he has been very influential in india's success in ODI's in last 5 years or so) 1. He is not even India's highest run scorer in ODI's for given period of time. Gambhir plays 13 matches less, still his tally is greater than Dhoni. Yuvraj played few matches less and is almost there in terms of runs. In case of Tendulkar, he was very well ahead of any other player in terms of runs scored. 2. Going by number of runs, nobody other than Ganguly was anywhere near to Sachin. All others were around 50% or less than that. Sachin scored around 30% more runs than Ganguly for that matter. 3. In terms of average also (in matches India won), Sachin was very much ahead of his team mates. Sachin had average of 76.5 and nearest was Ganguly with average of 59.5. In case of Dhoni, difference is much smaller (68.4 and 57). You also have to take into account high number of not-outs which Dhoni has in this period which hugely boosted his average. I can come up with few more such stats. But you must be kidding yourself if you say Dhoni is to India ODI team currently what Sachin was in late 90's. If you did follow cricket even casually in late 90's, you would know the difference. You need not to go to statsguru for that .
I can come up with few more such stats. But you must be kidding yourself if you say Dhoni is to India ODI team currently what Sachin was in late 90's. If you did follow cricket even casually in late 90's, you would know the difference. You need not to go to statsguru for that .
On the contrary, you were the one rushing off to stats guru to 'prove' Tendulkar was a one man army - and pulled out some meaningless stats in your endeavor. He wasn't except for a couple of seasons and sometimes in tests outside the subcontinent. It's a classic case of fan boys trying to rewrite history.
On the contrary' date=' you were the one rushing off to stats guru to 'prove' Tendulkar was a one man army - and pulled out some meaningless stats in your endeavor. He wasn't except for a couple of seasons and sometimes in tests outside the subcontinent. [b']It's a classic case of fan boys trying to rewrite history.
I was talking in terms of cold facts. There was no need to accuse me of having an agenda. In between I wasn't trying to rewrite the history, was just reading the history which has already been written.
I was talking in terms of cold facts. There was no need to accuse me of having an agenda. In between I wasn't trying to rewrite the history' date=' was just reading the history which has already been written.[/quote'] Selective reading perhaps? Test averages of Indian batsmen in the 90s : http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;qualmin1=500;qualval1=runs;spanmax1=31+Dec+1999;spanmin1=01+Jan+1990;spanval1=span;team=6;template=results;type=batting ODI averages of Indian batsmen in the 90s : http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;qualmin1=500;qualval1=runs;spanmax1=31+Dec+1999;spanmin1=01+Jan+1990;spanval1=span;team=6;template=results;type=batting
What now ? MSD is a one man show based on his ODI average compared to Tendulkars avg as a opener ? I thought I had heard it all, but this really a brand spanking new demonstration of cricket illiteracy. :laugh: Vaibhav come back ... all has been forgotten B->
Yeah, applying Raghav's superlative 'logic' to the last 5 years word for word it turned out that Dhoni has been a one man army.
What now ? MSD is a one man show based on his ODI average compared to Tendulkars avg as a opener ? I thought I had heard it all' date=' but this really a brand spanking new demonstration of cricket illiteracy. Vaibhav come back ... all has been forgotten B->[/quote'] Dude, you do realize there was a question from Shwetabh in there and NOT a statement which made a fanboy like you started jumping up and down. Whats the issue? Can't get the fact that Dhoni is a great leader and a great batsman at the same time? Something your Parameshwar never managed to do? Whats with the hate dude? Unless of course like some other posters who seem to be Punjabi hater you are now Jharkhand hater lol
Clarification - SRT was as much of a one man army has it can be or has ever been in cricket' date=' at least on par with the names you mentioned Kapil, Hadlee.[/quote'] Sure! He would be on par with Nelson Mandela for peace as well. Afterall didnt he once come out to pacify a rowdy crowd?
Yup. The support cast of Kapil Dev..namely Shivlal Yadav, Dileep Doshi, Maninder Singh, Ravi Shastri, Balwinder Singh Sandhu, Madan Lal, Chetan Sharma, Roger Binny etc. Was as good as the support cast for SRT namely Azhar, Manjrekar, Kambli, Jadeja, Sidhu, Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag, VVS. Morons.
what now .. A batting avg that is almost 14 points more than the 'blue eyed boy' and 8 point avg diff with Dravid is now considered as being inferior to kapils less than 5 point avg diff with the next best bowler ? :laugh: That avg of Kapils isnt even on par with what the world considers as a standard for a great fast bowler. http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;qualmin1=25;qualval1=innings;spanmax1=31+Dec+1999;spanmin1=01+Jan+1990;spanval1=span;team=6;template=results;type=batting
Always the same statistical bent of crappy knowledge. 5 run difference of Kapil with next bowler would be Dileep Doshi. He played a solid 3 years of the whole decade and when travelling had wickets at more than 40 plus. I thought you were smart enough to realize Indian spinners performed better at home. To quote your words - I thought I had heard it all.. :hysterical: Next!
what now .. A batting avg that is almost 14 points more than the 'blue eyed boy' and 8 point avg diff with Dravid is now considered as being inferior to kapils less than 5 point avg diff with the next best bowler ? :laugh: That avg of Kapils isnt even on par with what the world considers as a standard for a great fast bowler. http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;qualmin1=25;qualval1=innings;spanmax1=31+Dec+1999;spanmin1=01+Jan+1990;spanval1=span;team=6;template=results;type=batting
Tendulkar's support had batting averages in the 45-50 range which were genuine world class averages, specially in the 90s when only 3 batsmen averaged 50+. Kapil's support had bowling averages of 35+ which are decidedly poor bowling averages regardless the era. The question here is not whether Tendulkar's batting is better than Kapil's bowling or vice versa. The question is whose support was better. Even Sir_Afridi would be able to understand that batting averages of 45-50 in the 90s were better than bowling averages of 35+, but I don't expect Tendulkar fan boys to understand this simple thing.

I can't quite believe you folks are comparing Kapil Dev and Sachin Tendulkar :winky: One is a batsman (no offence meant to Tendulkar's bowling skills) and the other is a bowling all-rounder. How can cricket ever be one man army? There's 11 folks playing for a team right? Even if you score a hundred, that is not enough to win a game unless the rest also contribute, bowlers take wickets and catches are taken yeah? Vice versa for bowlers as well.

Yup. The support cast of Kapil Dev..namely Shivlal Yadav, Dileep Doshi, Maninder Singh, Ravi Shastri, Balwinder Singh Sandhu, Madan Lal, Chetan Sharma, Roger Binny etc. Was as good as the support cast for SRT namely Azhar, Manjrekar, Kambli, Jadeja, Sidhu, Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag, VVS. Morons.
It amazes me and makes me wonder : 1. Do these guys actually believe that the likes of Shastri, Sandhu, Binny, Maninder were better bowlers than Azhar, Dravid, Ganguly, Sidhu etc. were batsmen? 2. They know it's not the case, but will try to twist even basic facts and common sense around in their hero worship and have developed a warped sense of reality as a result?
I can't quite believe you folks are comparing Kapil Dev and Sachin Tendulkar :winky: One is a batsman (no offence meant to Tendulkar's bowling skills) and the other is a bowling all-rounder. How can cricket ever be one man army? There's 11 folks playing for a team right? Even if you score a hundred, that is not enough to win a game unless the rest also contribute, bowlers take wickets and catches are taken yeah? Vice versa for bowlers as well.
Nah. Some folks are of course, but I doubt the learned ones would make that mistake King:winky:
It amazes me and makes me wonder : 1. Do these guys actually believe that the likes of Shastri, Sandhu, Binny, Maninder were better bowlers than Azhar, Dravid, Ganguly, Sidhu etc. were batsmen? 2. They know it's not the case, but will try to twist even basic facts and common sense around in their hero worship and have developed a warped sense of reality as a result?
Indeed. The same set of people would probably be comparing why Kapil was a better all-rounder than Hadlee or Imran but compare him to SRT and suddenly Balwinder Sandhu becomes a world beater partner. That being said I loved the way Sardarji played, tonked Imran straight for six in his first test and took out Greenidge with a beauty at Lords.:hatsoff: