Let's talk about the DRS

champ

Mirpur mistakes will spur UDRS usage - David Morgan Mirpur mistakes will spur UDRS usage - David Morgan Andrew Miller in Dhaka 115397.2.jpg England top scorers, Tim Bresnan and Ian Bell, received let-offs from the umpires on the third day ? Getty Images David Morgan, the ICC president, believes that the umpiring controversies that marred the third day of the Mirpur Test will help to encourage all cricket boards to embrace the use of the Umpire Decision Review System, but added that the business of footing the bill must still be shared by the host broadcaster for each series. "I think that UDRS makes for wonderful television," Morgan said. "It adds a dimension to the package that a viewer receives, and I do believe that the broadcasters have a responsibility to fund part of it. Cricket is not afloat with dollars and pounds and euros. It is not a rich sport and we believe there has to be a contribution. "But next time Bangladesh host international cricket, against New Zealand in October, I am sure that the BCB will have the equipment available," he added. "They clearly regret not having it in this series." Shakib Al Hasan, Bangladesh's captain, was critical of the BCB following the third day's play, saying that had they chosen to pay for the referral technology, his team could have claimed a first-innings lead over England and made a push for their fourth Test victory. "We would have been in a very good position if [uDRS] was in use here," he said. "I think we would have asked for a referral four times with full confidence, and three of them would have come to our way for sure. It's really bad for us that we did not use the referral system, which we could have done." "Umpires can make mistakes, but a series of mistakes have gone against us, and it's very unfortunate," said Mustapha Kamal, the BCB president. "We have been talking about [uDRS] issue, but we found that other countries have not been using it extensively, so we thought that, first of all, we must know about the system itself. It is very delicate and if we misused it, it might go against us." Speaking during an official visit to Bangladesh ahead of next year's World Cup, Morgan also defended the integrity of the ICC's elite umpires following Andy Flower's pre-series comments that more influential teams tend to get the rub of the green in marginal decisions, a suggestion that was backed up by Bangladesh's coach, Jamie Siddons, at the close of the third day's play. "I have a great deal of time for Andy Flower. I have not chatted with him on this matter, but I'd like to," said Morgan. "I cannot accept that any of our international or elite umpires are biased. This game will be monitored in Dubai, and the match referee is here monitoring umpire performance as well. We will also listen to the captain of Bangladesh and the coach, but their views will not necessarily be regarded as value judgements at the end of the day. "The UDRS system is being rolled out and is being used significantly more than in situations such as this when it is not in use," said Morgan. "Boards and broadcasters are being pressed to ensure it is available, and I think it will not be too long before we have the system operating with the optimum equipment available at each Test match, wherever it is played in the world." Andrew Miller is UK editor of Cricinfo. Go to http://twitter.com/miller_cricket to follow him on Twitter through the England tour of Bangladesh. http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshveng2010/content/story/453155.html ________ green crack

Guest Hiten.

HEY! Our Maharathis have learned from their past mistakes on the island from last time around. They kept referring every other decision, getting only 1 decision in our favour ...so this time they decided not to agree to UDRS on whole, hence they won't be making fool of themselves

:wall: Four overs in and it begins. Ah well. They make the stupid decisions, they bear the consequences.
Don't think UDRS should be allowed without the broadcaster having a hot spot camera. Dilshan had a faint inside edge and our referral, if we had UDRS, could have been turned down.
dont think it would've been reversed.ther was an inside edge
There was no edge. What are you guys talking about? the snickometer registered a sound AFTER the ball beat the bat. It was the sound of the ball hititng the pad, as the commentators said
Don't think UDRS should be allowed without the broadcaster having a hot spot camera. Dilshan had a faint inside edge and our referral' date=' if we had UDRS, could have been turned down.[/quote'] Chandan - why are you spoiling their party? Who wants to know the truth? In this case, if the UDRS (and Hawkeye) were to have been used, then the wrong decision may have been given. The replay would have shown the ball crashing into some part of the mythical stumps that Hawkeye so likes to kiss time and again. Never mind that Dilshan got a snick. Snickometer takes about 10 minutes to process so that cannot be used in a real time review situation. There you have it. The umpire got the decision right and people are not ready to accept even that!! Daryl Harper in this case.
Chandan - why are you spoiling their party? Who wants to know the truth? In this case, if the UDRS (and Hawkeye) were to have been used, then the wrong decision may have been given. The replay would have shown the ball crashing into some part of the mythical stumps that Hawkeye so likes to kiss time and again. Never mind that Dilshan got a snick. Snickometer takes about 10 minutes to process so that cannot be used in a real time review situation. There you have it. The umpire got the decision right and people are not ready to accept even that!! Daryl Harper in this case.
Actually I don't trust Snicko. I've seen it going haywire many a times. For edges, only hot spot should be trusted and there shouldn't be any UDRS without hot spot.
Actually I don't trust Snicko. I've seen it going haywire many a times. For edges' date=' only hot spot should be trusted and there shouldn't be any UDRS without hot spot.[/quote'] I also dont think Snicko is infallible. Especially in windy conditions or when there is double impact. But in anycase, the Snicko is never meant to come into the referral process. So UDRS will not be able to make use of that. And yes, our of all the technologies being showcased presently Hot Spot is the one which seems to have near-universal approval. And I suspect that not a little bit of that is owing to the fact that it does not venture or claim to project, predict or foretell the future of any given ball :).
I also dont think Snicko is infallible. Especially in windy conditions or when there is double impact. But in anycase, the Snicko is never meant to come into the referral process. So UDRS will not be able to make use of that. And yes, our of all the technologies being showcased presently Hot Spot is the one which seems to have near-universal approval. And I suspect that not a little bit of that is owing to the fact that it does not venture or claim to project, predict or foretell the future of any given ball :).
Out of the 85 millions profit that the ICC earned, I am sure it wouldn't cost more than a few millions to get the Hot Spot technology available for every series (tests, ODIs and even t20s). It's hard to understand why the ICC or the other boards are reluctant to spend some money on a technology that could considerably cut down most of the howlers.

I am on a complete limb out here, but I think when there was a discussion during the SA-Eng series last winter about using all the technologies for UDRS,David Gower said something to the effect of HotSpot cannot be brought into India & SriLanka due to some defence related import/export regulations as the technology used thermal something. I've searched everywhere but didnt find much joy in getting more info.

Pakistan captain Salman Butt alluded to a hole in the Decision Review System on Friday after his team mate Azhar Ali chose not to refer his dismissal when he appeared to be not out against England. Ali was out after being caught by wicketkeeper Matt Prior off the bowling of James Anderson for 14, although replays clearly showed the ball flicking the pocket of his trousers and seemingly not striking any part of his bat. Butt revealed that Ali did edge the ball and said there was a blind spot on the televisual aid 'Hotspot' that did not show edges when the ball struck any plastic covering on the willow bats. Ali's was one of 15 wickets that fell on day two of the first test at Trent Bridge, as Pakistan slumped to 147 for nine at stumps in reply to England's 354. Pakistan require a further eight runs to avoid being asked to follow-on. "Obviously, we wanted (Ali) to be out there batting for long, but he edged it and if he is out he is out -- you can't do anything," Butt told reporters. "He knew he was out so there was no point taking the referral. If you are found out on the big screen it doesn't look nice. "This technology, like Hawk-Eye, is not 100 percent (accurate). When the ball hits the sticker (plastic covering) on the side (of the bat) it doesn't leave a mark. It has happened before. "It was very honest of Azhar Ali -- good sportsmanship." Although both teams have used the DRS previously, it has never been used in England prior to this series. Pakistan experienced problems with Hotspot on their tour of Australia this year, when Michael Clarke twice was heard by fielders to have edged the ball yet the televisual aid did not reveal an edge, Butt added. England are also working out how to best use the new referral system but, as pace bowler James Anderson noted, they have enjoyed success with it so far. "It's trickier than it seems, and something we're having to get used to," he said. "We've probably not used it as well as we could in the past. But I think we've used it pretty well so far in this game."
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/30072010/2/cricket-review-technology-few-rough-edges-says-butt.html And before this, Paul collingwood had edged one against Bangladesh, there was a huge noise and some deflection playing the cut shot, but apparently nothing showed on the hotspot. So why this love for hotspot while bashing Hawk eye? :--D

Bump. Now Nasser's talking about this. He's saying that there are quite a theories around associated with hotspot. Like one being using advertising stickers to bypass it. Really, there were quite a few instances where hotspot didn't pick the nick but snicko did.