Forget IT boom, Welcome the Pace Boom.

gator

A good 3 yrs after debut, Shaun was clocked at 143kph.... this was after he mellowed down a bit.... proof is in cricinfo archives.... after tht, until last 3 yrs he was consistently 135+... between 1996 and 98, he was consistently hitting 145 kph...

A good 3 yrs after debut, Shaun was clocked at 143kph.... this was after he mellowed down a bit.... proof is in cricinfo archives.... after tht, until last 3 yrs he was consistently 135+... between 1996 and 98, he was consistently hitting 145 kph...
Pollock and consistently hitting 145 happened only in dreams. One odd delivery here or there doesn't prove how fast you are bowling on average. And Pollock slowed down 3 years after his debut ? LOL. More patti ?
Yeah, that's true. In the series against WI in 1998, where RSA whitewashed them 5-0, Polly was clocking 140 and above in the tests and ODIs.
bwahahahaahahahaha..... i didnt even try.... u jus embarrassed urself....
Any of those bowlers (Kapil post injury) ever bowled consistently over 130 mph ? Answer : No. Lawson,Gilmour & deVilliers could swing the ball a mile both ways but didnt bowl much faster than Hansie Cronje!
And i too watched a lot of McGrath pre 2000- he was *never* bowling even 10% of his deliveries over 140kph range
I have watched lot of cricket in my life and yes McGrath was a Fast Medium bowler capable of consistently bowling in the upper 130's to low 140's. I have watched him bowl consistently in this speed early in his career . His speed was comparable to Akram although Akram was definitely faster early in his career. In fact , even Shaun Pollock was pretty fast early in his career. And let's not forget Kallis who could easily bowl 140 plus early in his career. In fact , even now , if he bends his back , he can generate that speed.

i dont care how bose bowls. even if he is supposed to be bowling at 10 mph, he should be in the team. Why? because he has earned it. Top wicket taker in Ranji Trophy, and an average of less than 15. Its about time we pick him. Infact, he should have been picked ahead of Ishant Sharma in Bangladesh.

Guest dada_rocks

mcgrath was not always slow.. when bose ghos turns 38 and then bowls 125 kph one can understand .. gator is talking about 25 year old in his prime throwing those apple-pies

mcgrath was not always slow.. when bose ghos turns 38 and then bowls 125 kph one can understand .. gator is talking about 25 year old in his prime throwing those apple-pies
DR... wat is the point arguing with someone who thinks kapil and Lawson bowled at 125 for the majority of their career.... thts wen i quit even trying to educate CC...
i dont care how bose bowls. even if he is supposed to be bowling at 10 mph' date=' he should be in the team. Why? because he has earned it. Top wicket taker in Ranji Trophy, and an average of less than 15. Its about time we pick him. Infact, he should have been picked ahead of Ishant Sharma in Bangladesh.[/quote'] Saurav Ganguly averaged 16 with the ball with a Waqaresque SR of 32 in the 2005-06 ranji season.... i say, pick him to partner Bose with the new ball.... u will know, where i am coming from.... if u need to pick on statistics, u dont need selectors.. pick the top 5 batters, top 5 bowlers on stats... explain to me, why u need selectors... it is a different issue, they are led by an idi0t now.... hence our dismal performance...
wat is the point arguing with someone who thinks kapil and Lawson bowled at 125 for the majority of their career
Prove otherwise, then ! Kapil = fast bowler is a myth that only hardcore desis buy. He was a medium pacer at his peak and after 85, he was a slow-medium bowler. Still a great bowler but lets not get ridiculous enough to attach 'fast' beside the names of these guys. They definitely were not!
Lawson' date=' Gilmour & deVilliers could swing the ball a mile both ways but didnt bowl much faster than Hansie Cronje![/quote'] Henry would be most pleased to read the first part of that, Sandro, but would be planning a rather quick bouncer at your throat for the second. :wink_smile:
Saurav Ganguly averaged 16 with the ball with a Waqaresque SR of 32 in the 2005-06 ranji season.... i say, pick him to partner Bose with the new ball.... u will know, where i am coming from.... if u need to pick on statistics, u dont need selectors.. pick the top 5 batters, top 5 bowlers on stats... explain to me, why u need selectors... it is a different issue, they are led by an idi0t now.... hence our dismal performance...
:haha: How many wickets did ganguly take?:hysterical:
\ Since you've seen them both, can you please explain why this pace-prospect of yours- YoMahesh -has 17 wickets from 6 first class matches last season, at 39.47 average, no five-fers; while this dibbly dobbly Ranadeb has 57 wickets from 8 matches @14.22 , six five-fers & 2 10-fers ????
YoMahesh has the quality - he can hit the deck, get bounce from most surfaces and has a nice action. I don't care what he does at FC level. Pathan and Sreesanth were averaging over 30 when they were fast-tracked into the Indian team, and both turned out to be successful. If you have noticeable talent, you will develop it quicker at international level by training and playing alongside world class cricketers who can bring the best out of you. Bose is a lardball who bowls peashooters - he would be slaughtered at international level, because he just doesn't have the quality or the talent to bowl an unplayable delivery. He is also an old-fart by Indian standards, so there is virtually no chance of him developing at this stage of his career.

Agree with gator, Dhondy et al. I am not on the pace is everything band wagon for sure, but 125 is not going to cut it an international level, as Pathan found out. The first spell has to be atleast 135 and even in later spells you should be 130+ to remain a threat. I searched around on youtube but couldn't find anything from the '96 Indian tour of South Africa but I am pretty sure I remember Pollock being around 140 at that time. Infact, even as late as WC '03 he was consistently over the 130 mark. McGrath was similar. BTW, it might be old age catching up but I seem to have vague recollections of speed guns being used occasionally in some Sharjah ODIs in the late 80s. I seem to remember Kapil being clocked around 80 mph. Or is this a complete figment of my imagination?

^^ u r right, shwetabh. BTW, i completely disagree with gator's OP. Rono is gonna rock the Pommies. if madnya and chetu with military medium kaps could do it, aint no reason why rono cannot. i just wish he had better guys with him than "groin-strain" Khan and "Nel-wannabe" sree. give him another sidebottom at the other end, and watch the Poms do a choke job. PS: BTW, all this pace this, pace that is just that--BS. the ONLY decent pacer in recent yrs has been a guy who is an ex-cop and consequently has the diligence of line and length added to his pace. that's a certain Shane. the rest of the new pacers are facking cannon-fodder.

Rahul, when someone says pace, why do u have to go to extremes to dispute tht... this debate is between 135kph or 125 kph.... like u said, this guy might have a bumper series in english conditions, so did Terry Alderman or maybe not... times are different now.. .... tht doesnt say much, does it... so if it aint 125kph, the only bowler u can think of is only Bond???? no in-betweens.... like i mentioned earlier.... show me successful 125kph bowlers.... i am sure, u wont go CC's way and embarrass urself by mentioning Lawson and Kapil dev... Lawson was a lovely fast bowler and to call him a 125kph bowler - BAh.....