Lords test 2011 : Predictions and discussion

No point deflecting the blame to Dravid. As captain and keeper' date= Dhoni is 100% responsible for this. It's things like this which highlight what an ordinary keeper Dhoni is compared to someone like Kirmani or More.
Sorry if that came out wrong. I meant that Dhoni was standing deep which led to Dravid taking his current position. Dhoni's definitely not the "best" wicket-keeper but he's pretty good and unfortunately, that's enough these days.
Dhoni just wanted to bowl as this was a 2000th test match. For a man who has no more than 40 balls in FC cricket, he shouldn't have bowled on day 2 of the most important series of the year. Raina should have been used
As an Englishman I have the utmost respect for Dhoni taking the tough job on in the absence of his fourth bowler. Not only did he show great leadership, he also bowled very well. I would have preferred Raina as we might well have got to five hundred if he had bowled more. The fault here lies with picking a suspect bowler, no matter how good he is and Khan is very good

As I have said about Praveen Kumar before that his accuracy and movement is more like Terry Alderman ( though PK is slightly lesser pace ), rather than like Dale Steyn and I believe that PK's accuracy be can cause a lot of damage as PK once again proved to be the most economical of the bowlers(even more economical than Harbie) and a bit unlucky in not picking up Kevin Pietersen when he was on 49 . Praveen Kumar is the perfect shield bowler Zaheer when he is fit , and England batsmen were struggling when both Zaheer and PK were bowling in tandem . Ishant Sharma , Sree and Munaf Patel will really need to work more on their accuracy as PK has , in both line and length and nagging consistency .

PK was the only bowler who kept India in the match. Other than Zaheer's early spell before he got injured Indian bowling was nothing to write about. Eng bowlers have shown that if you simply pitch the ball up and bowl off-stump line the ball will do something and it won't be easy to score runs. Biggest disappointment was Ishant. He couldn't even bowl straight on or around offstump most of the time, which is unaccaptable for an intl bowler. If Ishant had simply done the basics right India would have been in a much better position. I am not going after Harbhajan coz I didn't expect him to do much anyways in the first couple of days given the bowler friendly conditions. Harbhajan's best bet was for pacers to apply the pressure allowing him to pick up wkts.

pieterson should have been given out at 49-boycott England batsman Kevin Pietersen should have been back in the pavilion much before he struck his unbeaten double hundred but umpire Asad Rauf's lack of conviction saved him in the ongoing first Test against India, says Geoffrey Boycott. The former England batsman said Pietersen, who made unbeaten 202 in England's 474 for 8 declared, should have been given out caught at leg slip when he was on 49 as Rauf had a clear view of the catch but it was referred to the third umpire. "The only blot on the day was the poor decision by the square leg umpire, Asad Rauf, when he should have given Pietersen out caught at leg slip when he was on 49. "He had an uninterrupted clear view from 20 yards away and chickened out of making the correct decision. Anybody who works in television will tell you that low catches will always look as if the ball has bounced before being caught," Boycott wrote in the 'Daily Telegraph'. "Batsmen throughout the game know that if a low catch is referred to television umpire there is every chance they will get away with it. I don't blame the batsman for standing. I blame the umpire for not having the courage of his convictions and making the decision without television." That apart, Boycott criticised India's bowling performance in the absence of an injured Zaheer Khan and said the attack just doesn't seem to belong to the world's top Test side. "It is not Pietersen's fault that India were one bowler short and their other bowling wasn't special. Harbhajan Singh made no impact whatsoever, Ishant Sharma tried his best but his inexperience and inability to put the ball in awkward areas showed up time and again," he said. "Praveen Kumar is military medium but swung the ball and fully deserved his successful haul of five wickets which shows that in Test cricket, provided you move the ball off straight and narrow, you have a chance of getting people out. "But with this bowling line up you wonder how the hell India are going to take England wickets without Zaheer Khan. Even more so, you wonder how they got to number one in the world," he added.