F'king Disgusting

EnterTheVoid

Let the door not hit you on the way out. :bye::bye::bye: There are quite a few Indians, including a few on this MB, who have not taken the opposite route. That of spending time in the West and moving back to India when they had the option of staying abroad. You may want to listen to them sometimes. By the by when did this whole thread become everything under the bashing thread? From BCCI to Ambani to Mumbai and now India?? Dude if you wanna justify your palayan why take it out on a MB? xxx
+1 . There are a few things/ideas/people that you just cannot abuse.

The real world is far more cruel than the internet where anonymity lets you make statements you would could never get away with. On the internet you can get away with all sort of racist, hate mongering, and offensive comments, try doing the same thing in a professional scenario and see the kind of backlash you get. Quite a few people who take extreme positions on the internet do so for the lack of conviction of doing the same thing in the real world.
In real world - you can get beaten up for no fault at all or when the other guy tries to hide his fault by being extra aggressive. Internet is new-age medium of communication, it is still evolving. People will learn by their own experiences at their own pace. You can teach only so much by ToS, moderation etc. So it is futile to lecture people around - how to behave, how not to, references to studies of psychological effects etc. are not going to have much effect. (I should stop lecturing my PoV ;))

That punk ass is quite lucky he didn't fall on his neck, he would have been a paraplegic for the rest of his life. The kid's name is "Casey Heynes" (not the bully) and the incident happened in Brisbane, Australia.
Ohh, i did not know it happened in OZ.. one of my favorite clip this.

Ganesh' date=' I have said the same things that I say here in real life too with super lefties. It is actually quite easy to feel as though you are horrified on the internet to what I say ... in real life you will have a hard time keeping a straight face while regurgitating PC statements when confronted with horrific facts.[/quote'] What you say obviously cannot be verified so I wont challenge that, however my general point about people taking extreme positions on the Internet still stands. Most people vent their rage on the internet due to lack of courage to do the same thing in front of their professional and societal circles. It is extremely easy to spout inanities in an anonymous forum and feel good about oneself, but saying the same thing at work or at social gathering with someone present from the targeted group who can defend himself is a different ball game altogether. Unlike an Internet forum, the repercussions in the real world are much more serious. Its akin to chugalkhori or backbiting in the office where people criticize their managers / colleagues behind their back but dont have the balls to do the same thing in the front of the person in question.

you did not mention that in your post..so how can anyone outside Mumbai know :winky: most innocent ICFs were thinking that some slumdog millionaire owned that car :hysterical: even Rajiv got fooled by your pic :cantstop:
..err, actually no - I never got fooled by it as I knew it was a pic taken in traffic. 90% replies on this thread is from fantasy land, thats why I said, this conv is going nowhere and people should stop giving their 2 cents

Are yaar....I didn't know slums in Mumbai are actually Beverly hills in disguise? People owning beemers' date=' huts worth lakhs...I swear,[b']last time I read somewhere 65% of Mumbai's population live below poverty line...these guys must be good in hiding their wealth huh?
I'd really like to have a dekko at this source. I've taken a while to read this thread and I kind of understand why some folks are aghast when they come face to face with Mumbai's filth and slums. Sure, it's a gargantuan eyesore, especially when you're from other parts of the country, but not many understand it's less about choice and more about compulsion- though we can also argue that it's becoming a matter of choice in some areas. There are people who don't even want to leave the jhopadpattis and live in Govt. housing facilities because they are either happy where they are, or are part of a larger nexus. But that's a subject for another day. Someone made a comment earlier about Mumbaikars being 'proud' of the fact that most slum dwellers are relatively well off. It's not so much about being 'proud of the rich slum dwellers' as it is about being proud of the fact that in Mumbai, not everything is judged at face value. Unlike you know where ;) Space is a huge premium here, so people make the most of what they can with their wee bit of space and whatever resources they have. Try to modify a shanty if you can to your liking in an area that makes a can of sardines look spacious, and then tell me how simple it is. In fact, there's a slum just across the highway from my place. Last I heard, the asking rate per square feet was approx. 8500, and most of those slums are now multi-storeyed, much like a penthouse jhopadpatti, what with their own tiny makeshift balconies and ever tinier gardens. People just make do with what they have rather than complain about what they don't- it's that simple. There are also many who'd rather live in slums in 'better' suburbs than live in a swell house far up North, which often makes commuting a huge pain in the a**. Once the city becomes a part of you, you actually learn to acknowledge the schism between the rich and poor here as being part of the charm of the city.

Once the city becomes a part of you, you actually learn to acknowledge the schism between the rich and poor here as being part of the charm of the city.
Driving from the airport and going past Dharavi, I was like WTF, why did I come here. Soon, I was able to look past all the traffic and poverty and quite enjoyed my stay there. I quite miss Mumbai actually.

Driving from the airport and going past Dharavi' date=' I was like WTF, why did I come here.[/quote'] Didn't that thought cross your mind when you were landing in Mumbai :cantstop: The aerial view of Mumbai (particularly around the airport), especially during take offs and landings, is to die for :winky:

Didn't that thought cross your mind when you were landing in Mumbai :cantstop: The aerial view of Mumbai (particularly around the airport)' date= especially during take offs and landings, is to die for :winky:
The plane arrived in Mumbai at 11:00 PM. Believe it or not, the plane ran into a lightning storm. I got the video of it on my laptop.

I'd really like to have a dekko at this source.
I've asked him for it as well. He's conveniently disappeared. In his first 3 posts in this thread, he has 1. Claimed Ambani's billion dollar house is "amongst slums w/ avg monthly income of Rs.400." 2. Backtracked and said "The building might not be IN the slums but it can very well be seen from the slums nearby". Clearly, he means the slums on altamount road, or pedder road, or kemps corner. 3. Claimed "I swear, last time I read somewhere 65% of Mumbai's population live below poverty line" I don't know what to say:cantstop:

Soon, I was able to look past all the traffic and poverty and quite enjoyed my stay there. I quite miss Mumbai actually.
No other city in India comes close, I think. Infact, I am quite looking forward to your comparo of India's cities, full columbus style. Ignore whatever PK might say:cantstop:

I've asked him for it as well. He's conveniently disappeared. In his first 3 posts in this thread, he has 1. Claimed Ambani's billion dollar house is "amongst slums w/ avg monthly income of Rs.400." 2. Backtracked and said "The building might not be IN the slums but it can very well be seen from the slums nearby". Clearly, he means the slums on altamount road, or pedder road, or kemps corner.
:cantstop::cantstop: Slums on Altamount Road? Now I've heard it all. In that case the Birlas and the Consulates are all housed in South Bombay's prime jhopadpatti area.

Didn't that thought cross your mind when you were landing in Mumbai :cantstop: The aerial view of Mumbai (particularly around the airport)' date=' especially during take offs and landings, is to die for :winky:[/quote'] It is plain disgusting, not the fact that there are slums but its like the airport was built between slums. I ususally land there is the afternoon and it is quite a sight. There was this British lady next to me once and she was going bonkers taking videos of poor India :facepalm:

I don't need a suggestion regarding what I should do atleast from someone like you' date=' guys like you just live in denial. when you love your country..that's when you feel sad for what's happening there....you notice the difference only after living away for a substantial period.[/quote'] Dude I may live in denial, as you wish to state, but I would NEVER resort to calling the land of my baap-dadas (and myself) as a S H I T H O L E. I will leave that honor to morons like you who think it is because they loved their country and hence left. Thats a logic understood only by oppertunistic fella like you. And yes the offer stands, dont let the door hit you on your way out :bye: :bye:

It is plain disgusting' date=' not the fact that there are slums but its like the airport was built between slums. I ususally land there is the afternoon and it is quite a sight. There was this British lady next to me once and she was going bonkers taking videos of poor India[/quote'] That may speak as much about you as it does about Mumbai (or India). And I am not trying to be mean to you(hopefully you will see it that way). Anytime I travel to India I typically get down at either Mumbai or Delhi. Both the cities are cramped with teeming population. But really as an Indian do you really care? I dont. I mean I grew up running on platform to catch a moving train. Amongst other things I have travelled pirched atop of train and buses. And this has been all over India, though more in Bihar where I grew up. In Mumbai I have hung on to the rails of a train. So I get the sense of crowd and frankly I love it. Now you may feel uncomfortable, nothing wrong there. Just a personal preference. When I typical land in India I love the small houses, each emerging from the other, 10 teams playing in the park and so on. When I get down at Mumbai in evenings it is hardly as pretty as even a small town in USA (in terms of lights) but who the eff cares. This is my country, this is where I was born and raised and just looking at that narrow lights on Marine Drive making a Queen's necklace makes me feel I am back where I belonged. As for the British lady you can put her in contact with Under_Score, he knows affluent places around the world :hehe:

How long did you live in Mumbai? Lurks
Off and on between 1997-2004. Personally speaking Mumbai was a choice for me.After Engg I had a choice (while working for TCS) to pick Delhi, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune and Calcutta as my choice city and guess where did I land. So for whatever its worth this should tell you where Mumbai stands for those who don't hail from a particular cosmopolitan. How often do you land in Mumbai these days?