When should the BIG 3 hang up their Boots?

Let's first find a decent #6. If Sehwag is to play in the middle order, then let's find a good opener. Then the big-3 can start retiring. I am pretty sure finding a good #3/opener will be the hardest because nobody wants/knows to play against the new ball.

Laxman should be the first to go. Dravid and SRT are still fitter than most of the team and probable youngsters. And they are going to maintain that for until they play. Even though Laxman is still batting well, I doubt whether he has as strong work ethics as SRT/Dravid.
the work ethic of Rahul and Sachin should really be the benchmark for the youngsters. I really dont see ANY of the youngsters having that passion and work ethic like these guys. we can't expect another Dravid or another Sachin, but right now the youngsters are getting an oppurtunity to learn and play with these living legends, and they really must utilize it to the maximum factor. Sadly I just don't see it in anyone to grasp the oppurtunity and make it big. Let's just hope these 3 legends bat well till the end, I dont want them to be completely not on form and then get kicked out of the side... but really our future in test cricket looks very very bleak :nervous:
Guest Gunner
Why don't we have a thread about when Hayby and Zaheer should retire? :hmmm:
Because they are unlikely to play again for India. Harby has a slim chance of a comeback.
Laxman : Right after the 4th Test at oval Dravid : After Test Series again Australia Next Year ( In which hes cent percent guaranteed to fail miserably like last tour in SA) Great SRT : Atleast Must go on to play till the Test Championship in 2013 .
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: stick to circus.

Why are people asking for VVS's retirement, he has been one of our most reliable players off late. We shouldnt judge players like Dravid , Laxman and Tendulkar based on one series where mostly everyone failed. The need to bring young blood is a very important one, but the new team has to be built around the core of these three players not by replacing them at once.

Why are people asking for VVS's retirement, he has been one of our most reliable players off late. We shouldnt judge players like Dravid , Laxman and Tendulkar based on one series where mostly everyone failed. The need to bring young blood is a very important one, but the new team has to be built around the core of these three players not by replacing them at once.
But do you want to have a situation like the Aussi's and WI who when all their greats retired were a shaddow of a side. I think gradual retirement is a better policy IMHO
But do you want to have a situation like the Aussi's and WI who when all their greats retired were a shaddow of a side. I think gradual retirement is a better policy IMHO
gradual or sudden. indian test batting is going down BIGTIME. no one is going to be able to live up to what Dravid, Sachin and even Laxman leave behind. batsmen nowdays (Indian) just dont have it in them mentally to be a great...imo. and the blame goes to Easy Cash, IPL, rise of T20, and not having the same passion to perform for your Country. sad, but true. :((
Because they are unlikely to play again for India. Harby has a slim chance of a comeback.
Harby will be back for the next series.
You are being too mean on ZAK. You may suggest that he should be dropped or rested for Poor Fitness' date=' But dont want him to leave the game at this age.[/quote'] I'm a huge supporter of Zak and he has been one of the main reasons for our rise to number 1 but can we rely on him to last a series anymore? This isn't the first time when he has been injured during a series.
Harby will be back for the next series. I'm a huge supporter of Zak and he has been one of the main reasons for our rise to number 1 but can we rely on him to last a series anymore? This isn't the first time when he has been injured during a series.
Well I agree with you, we must now Rely on him and rather look for bowlers who can fill his boot. But why would you not have a bowler like him on the side? To rely or not to must be left to the team and the management. Its for them to understand, that we must not expect him to win a match everytime we play overseas. If the attitude of Team management doesnt change, I dont think even dropping him will help our cause, as without him we may meekly surrender to the opposition everytime we play overseas and put up his absence as an Excuse.
Well I agree with you, we must now Rely on him and rather look for bowlers who can fill his boot. But why would you not have a bowler like him on the side? To rely or not to must be left to the team and the management. Its for them to understand, that we must not expect him to win a match everytime we play overseas. If the attitude of Team management doesnt change, I dont think even dropping him will help our cause, as without him we may meekly surrender to the opposition everytime we play overseas and put up his absence as an Excuse.
Because the uncertaintly over his fitness is not good for the team. It's fine for the odd series since everyone gets injured but it is the case in almost every series with Zaheer. A fit Zaheer Khan would be the first player I'd pick (ahead of Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dravid etc). Just to add that it is not just about relying on him to win us games but even relying on him to get through a series is too much now.
Guest Gunner

We are all talking here as if we managed to replace SCG :phehehe: No matter what we won't be able to replace the six great players who formed the core of the Indian team - SRT, RSD, VVS, SCG, AK and ZAK. This is like saying oz will replace Mcgrath et al. Completely crazy thinking. Unless we get out of this mindset we can't rebuild. I want y'all to step back for a second and think about the might of the six players I mentioned alongwith GG,VS, MSD and an in form harby. That is a mighty test team. You don't get a team like that all the time, it happens once in 20 years.

Because the uncertaintly over his fitness is not good for the team. It's fine for the odd series since everyone gets injured but it is the case in almost every series with Zaheer. A fit Zaheer Khan would be the first player I'd pick (ahead of Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dravid etc). Just to add that it is not just about relying on him to win us games but even relying on him to get through a series is too much now.
Yes thats because of the work ethic of most of the Indians. May be Team management should give him some hard Love.
We are all talking here as if we managed to replace SCG :phehehe: No matter what we won't be able to replace the six great players who formed the core of the Indian team - SRT, RSD, VVS, SCG, AK and ZAK. This is like saying oz will replace Mcgrath et al. Completely crazy thinking. Unless we get out of this mindset we can't rebuild. I want y'all to step back for a second and think about the might of the six players I mentioned alongwith GG,VS, MSD and an in form harby. That is a mighty test team. You don't get a team like that all the time, it happens once in 20 years.
well said.
Laxman : Right after the 4th Test at oval Dravid : After Test Series again Australia Next Year ( In which hes cent percent guaranteed to fail miserably like last tour in SA) Great SRT : Atleast Must go on to play till the Test Championship in 2013 .
Iss Andrew Peter ki bolti bandh kar do !