When should the BIG 3 hang up their Boots?

It has to be a phased retirement approach. We can't afford to have Virat Kohlis, Ajinkya Rahanes, Cheteshwar Pujaras and Rohit Sharmas take over at the same time. They need to be phased in after the Aussie series later this year. Either we force the seniors out or have a revolving policy so that only 2 of the big 3 play in a Test is up to the selectors but they have to make sure that Indian youngsters get to play with the senior players for some time.

It has to be a phased retirement approach. We can't afford to have Virat Kohlis' date=' Ajinkya Rahanes, Cheteshwar Pujaras and Rohit Sharmas take over at the same time. They need to be phased in after the Aussie series later this year. Either we force the seniors out or have a revolving policy so that only 2 of the big 3 play in a Test is up to the selectors but they have to make sure that Indian youngsters get to play with the senior players for some time.[/quote'] like the Raina's and Kohli's are getting right now.. the question is of their mentality and their EAGERNESS to improve... i don't know if they have that.. i sorta see it in Raina... i just hope they dont shut down raina cuz he hasn't performed in England.. they need to persist with him ahead of Kohli imo.

bring Rohit Sharma, Rahaane, and Kohli for WI series in India resting one or two of the seniors. It should happen slowly and steadily in the next 1-2 years. You cannot have a complete rookie middle order suddenly and expect them to win matches. Pujara is currently injured so he may be cooling his heels by WI series.

I think selectors should take a call after the OZ series. It's a bit like a two edged sword. You just can't kick out/phase out players like DLT after one bad series, taking into account how well they've performed in last 2-3 years (especially against Aus and SA). Also, it's not that we have ready replacements waiting in the wing but we have guys with potential to fill the space left by these Maharathis. If I was a selector, I wouldn't chop and change just before a important tour like OZ series, where our current lot have performed well. If they fail in OZ series, then I guess it's time for us to move on. From a fans perspective, I want them to do well in OZ series and shut-up the critics like the way the always have. If this happens then the trio of DLT will probably play the '12 series against ENG and get the revenge for this tour.:--D

Whether they fail or succeed it's time to plan for their retirements. If BCCI doesn't want to force them then at least talk to them and assess how long they will play. Give youngsters chance with DLT playing fewer matches than usual. For ex - next WI series. Instead of resting all seniors, give chance to only 1 in each match and introduce youngsters to different spots. I want to see at least 1 senior so that they remain match fit for away tours. In potentially difficult tours give chances 2-3 of those fab3 in a match. That should help. Don't let them play all matches uselessly.

If players are rested before the tour of Australia and we lose in Australia' date=' there will be a debate about players being rusty and poorly prepared.[/quote'] what have the players who 'Rested' have achieved in Eng? You rest them - they become rusty. You dont rest them - injiury/fatigue...