A Flamboyant/Classy XI

surprised no one has included Afridi in their 11:tounge_smile:
Unfortunately for Afridi, the adjective 'flamboyant' referred to cricketing style. He will be a top contender for the 'hair ishtyle' 11, along with gibbs xxx xxxx pietersen afridi dhoni greg matthews mohammed mowgli sami makhaya ntini lasith malinga
Quick 40s ? Roy exceeded 50 in 34 Test innings and turned 8 of them into centuries. That's better than Sehwag's fifties to Tests ratio. What was Fredericks' Test strike rate, Gator ? :wink_smile:
40, 50s are all the same thing.... this thread wasnt about stats, but i will still play along.... Sehwag - 12 hundreds in 87 innings at an average of almost 50... Roy Fred - 8 hundreds in 109 innings at an average of 43... only 8 hundreds, out of 2 against super-slo indian attack of early 70s.... even in tht series against Aussies, where he did score a scintillating ton against lillee and co, he averaged only 37 inspite of 169 of em coming in one innings.... now try and pitch tht against double and triple centuries at almost run a ball against 100 mph Akhtar, Kaneria and co, how about a run-a-ball almost double century against the best team of the era in their own backyard, aussies.... ok, how about tht massive 164 of jus 200 odd balls against an attack comprising polly, ntini and kallis.... how about 95 off 100 balls, 106 off 180 balls on absolute seaming english wickets against Hoggy, Flintoff, Jones and Harmi.... yeah, the same bowling attack who won the Ashes.... i dont know about u, Roy F seems like a dwarf to me in front of Viru.... he had his moments, thts all...
surprised no one has included Afridi in their 11:tounge_smile:
C'mon MP! Afridi's hardly classy or flamboyant or poetic. The adjectives that come to mind are destructive, entertaining,brainless,retarded and frustrating(for his supporters).
i dont know about u, Roy F seems like a dwarf to me in front of Viru.... he had his moments, thts all...
Roy Fredricks was a great opener no doubt about that but I am not going to lose my money watching him. Fredricks was no diferent to say a Majid Khan who was equally good, if not better. If the hallmark of Fredricks is that innings against Lillee and Thomson then how about Majid Khan who batted wearing only a cap against Lillee at his best in Australia. Lillee is rumoured to be so pissed at that that he challenged Majid that he would knock his hat off. Majid took up the challenge and as hard as Lillee tried he couldnt knock it off during entire series. At the end of the series Majid Khan presented the cap to Lillee. Of course this is the same Majid Khan who would score runs on any track with simple use of eyes and feet, no technique excellence for him. Point being great as Fredricks was he was certainly not a one-off. On the other hand Sehwag was certainly a one-off. His(Sehwag's) record is more complete against better array of bowlers and much more than the runs it was the manner in which he scored them. When Sehwag scored he scored big and would more often than not damage the bowler's pschyche so much that other Indian batsmen cashed on it. And we are talking of world class bowlers here from Mcgrath to Akhtar, Donald to Warne. I personally have gone with Barry Richards and Mark Waugh but if I had to pick between Sehwag and Roy F I shall go with Veeru. xxx
shwetabh, its interesting to see tht theres no sachin in ur list.. given the condition tht one would pay more to watch these players over others.. any reasoningggg??wud b interesting to know ur viewww
Sorry, didn't see this question directed to me earlier. Not much of a profound reasoning, just that I would pay more money to watch an Azharuddin hundred than a Tendulkar hundred. Guys like Azhar and Gower were just so technically incorrect in their strokeplay that it was just mesmerizing stuff. I mean, regularly clipping balls a foot outside the offstump to mid wicket/ square leg kind of thing.