Champions League 2011

Andy

Leaving this nonsense debating aside if u want to read how good Cavani was last season and how important he was for Napoli last season here is a very good article explaining it.

Edinson Cavani has simply continued where he left off last season in Serie A. Once more, the striker has taken on the mantle of the main man, the key figure in front of goal, the talisman and quite possibly the player the Neopolitans have been crying out for since the days of a certain little Argentine. Cavani has had yet another scintillating start to the season and his form is genuinely begging the question - is Cavani the best striker in the world? Already this year he has hit a devastating hatrick against reigning champions Milan, almost single-handedly downing the best team in the country. He hit trebles on no less than three occasions last season in important victories over Sampdoria, Juventus and Lazio and deservedly ended the season as the club's top scorer ever in a single Serie A season with 25 goals. 'El Matador' would likely have hit more to finish the campaign as Capocannoniere were it not for a suspension towards the end of the season for his sarcastic applause after being sent off which allowed Udinese marksman Antonio Di Natale to surpass him but the world had sat up to take notice of the tall Uruguayan striker after a truly phenomenal season. One man who will have been both embarrassed and shocked at the form shown by Cavani will be the fiery Palermo President Maurizio Zamparini. He allowed the striker to move on loan to Naples and then make the move official for a fee of just 17 million euros. Cavani, whose sublime scoring has even earned him his own pizza in his adopted city (which interestingly he does not like as it "contains too many toppings"), has repaid that investment every weekend since. He can rightly hold a claim to being the world's best. There are of course the obvious contenders and outstanding talents like Lionel Messi of Barcelona and Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo who many consider to be untouchable. Their goalscoring records speak for themselves but so too does that of the Napoli striker. So far his record in Serie A for Napoli shows that he has played 39 games for the Partenopei and has hit the back of the net 29 times in this period of time. Absolutely outstanding. Why should Cavani not be considered as the best? The answer would seem to lie in the media. Serie A does not benefit from the overall coverage and exposure that the players like Messi and Ronaldo's La Liga does or Sergio Aguero and Wayne Rooney's English Premier League enjoys. Players are not given the same praise and treatment if they play in Serie A and although most would recognise Cavani as possibly a 'decent goalscorer', few would acknowledge him as being one the best as the hardcore followers of the Italian championship would. He came to the attention of those in England though last month when Manchester City took on Napoli at home in the Champions League expecting to easily dispose of their opponents. Edinson Cavani had other ideas though with his well-taken strike making him Napoli's first ever goalscorer in the Champions League and earning his side an important draw. He also managed to score a number of crucial goals in European games last season for the Azzurri on their Europa League adventure and it seems that the bigger the occasion, the better the performance from Cavani. That, perhaps more than any other quality, is the mark of a truly potent and top class striker. Most good strikers can score against the 'lesser' sides they come up against but the Matador does so when the chips are down and his team need him to step up. His many strikes against the likes of Milan, Roma, Lazio and Juventus are evidence of this. Cavani is absolutely clinical for the San Paolo side and when he is on the ball you can genuinely feel the excitement and expectation rise around the stadium. Also, Cavani has that other masterful technique which sets him apart from a great deal of the rest and that is his lethal ability to score goals from anywhere. He can score with both feet, with his head, from the penalty spot, from the six yard box and from 30 yards. He is a genuinely special player and is deserving of every plaudit that comes his way. What about the striker himself though? Would he agree with this assessment on himself that most fans of calcio now have? True to his humble and modest nature Cavani shrugs it off and would much rather concentrate on the team as a whole and securing the Scudetto. "I enjoy scoring and playing for these fans," the Uruguayan said, "but I dream of the Scudetto. All I want is the title." If Napoli are to fight for the Scudetto it will be his goals and his performances that decide the outcome. As things stand and with his terrific performances over the past year or so for both club and country, you could not discount him as another great striker anymore. Cavani has deserved to now be spoken of alongside the best. When talking of the best strikers in the world he should be mentioned alongside Messi, Ronaldo and Aguero. His goals alone have earned him that right. Whether or not he should be spoken of as being better than these players, well you can make your own mind up on that.
Look I aint saying Cavani is the best bar none without debate as i am sure few others have a good claim to it too but laughing off that suggestion as if laughable and comparing it with Butia is just poor knowledge of other leagues.

Again show me a single quote where i said players performing in world cup mean a league is better than other league.Seriously why u make up stuff. Again making up thats just pathetic. Again show me a single quote where i said players performing in world cup mean a league is better than other league.Seriously why u make up stuff.
You just said PL players are shyte because they never had a great WC. Was that Made up too?
U clearly dont see the difference btw having a decent world cup and a great world cup.They didnt had great world cup but talken up a lot because they were surprise packeges.
So how many according to you had great WCs? And because Xavi, Iniesta had a great WC and happen to belong from La Liga, La Liga itself is better than anyother league? And how do you see the failures of Messi and Ronaldo who were from La Liga? amnd Italians too? And many of the superstars of PL apart from English players didnt even play, some played only as a substitute in some games like Drogba, Fabregas, Torres. Many of PL's superstars happen to play for Countries who do not play WC like Drogba, Vidic, Essien. Where as most of the superstars from La Liga played in WC last year.
So u believe George best is as good as Pele and Maradona? If u believe as like British Media believethen ya u are the one ignorant.Not me. I never said he was poor or rubbish i said he is a great player but overrated by British media .FFS they rate him alongside Pele and Maradona.
I do not live in UK, you seem to be reading a lot from British Media, I havent seen him play or Pele or Maradona apart from some YouTube Videos. I didnt even say he was as good as them or any less that them. I am just going with the Opinion of Legendary Footballers who were not British and never worked for British Media, pele for that matter. Few posts back you accused me of passing my Judgement on players without even watching them play, now did you watch Best play? If not STFU!
If u believe that its not even worth debating football with u.
The feeling is Mutual.
Dragging an average Napoli side to the CL and 3 spot in Seria A single handedly. So compare Cavani and Drogba based on last season then.Go on.
So you are passing Judgement on a player after just one season, who's better Drogba or Hernandez? Hernandez scored 20 last season. Who's better? Torres or Hernandez? If you talk one season while passing your Judgement you should rate Hernandez better than both. What Joke.
Tell me single season where Pato really had a very good season then.Rather than i watched him in one match bla bla bla Pato : 50 goals in 105 games Cavani : 63 in 148 games Rigs a bell eh? Are you a Serious? Drogba was one of the best strikers in Club football even two seasons back. You are comparing Carragher to Drogba? This doesnt even deserve a Laugh.

Leaving this nonsense debating aside if u want to read how good Cavani was last season why Cavani has a legitimate claim to be the best striker in the world here is a very good article explaining it. I aint saying Cavani is the best bar none without debate as i am sure few others have a good claim to it too but laughing off that suggestion as if laughable and comparing it with Butia is just poor knowledge of other leagues.
Read about Cavani before, he has done well in the last season. But one season is not enough to Judge a player. If I bring in articles about some of the PL youngsters You'll be calling them Overhyped by British Media. So no point in debating with you who is an One eyed Fan. I can post some Garbage and Ridicule this article too as Hype by 'Seria A Fans' or 'Italian Media'

You just said PL players are shyte because they never had a great WC. Was that Made up too? So how many according to you had great WCs? And because Xavi, Iniesta had a great WC and happen to belong from La Liga, La Liga itself is better than anyother league? And how do you see the failures of Messi and Ronaldo who were from La Liga? amnd Italians too? And many of the superstars of PL apart from English players didnt even play, some played only as a substitute in some games like Drogba, Fabregas, Torres. Many of PL's superstars happen to play for Countries who do not play WC like Drogba, Vidic, Essien. Where as most of the superstars from La Liga played in WC last year. I do not live in UK, you seem to be reading a lot from British Media, I havent seen him play or Pele or Maradona apart from some YouTube Videos. I didnt even say he was as good as them or any less that them. I am just going with the Opinion of Legendary Footballers who were not British and never worked for British Media, pele for that matter. Few posts back you accused me of passing my Judgement on players without even watching them play, now did you watch Best play? If not STFU! The feeling is Mutual. So you are passing Judgement on a player after just one season, who's better Drogba or Hernandez? Hernandez scored 20 last season. Who's better? Torres or Hernandez? If you talk one season while passing your Judgement you should rate Hernandez better than both. What Joke. Andy he think Cavani is the best striker in Europe based on the last season and a bit. So your argument about Drogba being better is not relevant as he has clearly gone off the boil in the last 18 months or so. Being a member of this forum you must surely know that Stats are not everything. Pato plays at a better team and receives much better service. Also if you are going to compare them statistically you have to compare them over the last 18 months (The time frame The Beautiful Game believes that Cavani has been the best striker in Europe).

Fair if Cavani is the best striker on Europe what he did in Serie A, Hernandez is better than Drogba and Torres. ‎. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________ . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~., . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-., . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:, . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\, . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,} . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.} . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./ . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./ . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./ . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/ . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .} . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../ . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../ . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-” . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\ . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__ ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-, . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\ . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==`` . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\ And talking about Service, Rooney must be as good as Messi then compared to the service Rooney gets and Messi gets. Now thats another Joke.

Fair if Cavani is the best striker on Europe what he did in Serie A, Hernandez is better than Drogba and Torres. ‎. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________ . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-Ãô. . . . . . . . . .``~., . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .?., . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?, . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ., . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,} . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.} . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:? . . ./ . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./ . . . . . . . /__.(. . .Åß-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./ . . . . . . /(_. . Çß,_. . . ..Åß,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/ . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .?,_. . . .?,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~? /. .. .} . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .?-._. . .?,,./`. . / . . . ./. .. ../ . . . .. . .`~,. . ..Åß.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../ . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,- . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... . / . . . . . . `~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....,__ ,,_. . . . . }.>-._. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-, . .. `=~-,__. . . `,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `. . . . . . ..__ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==`` . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..` And talking about Service, Rooney must be as good as Messi then compared to the service Rooney gets and Messi gets. Now thats another Joke.
I'm not saying i agree with him but if you are gonna argue with him at least try to understand what he is saying. I have to say you are not covering yourself in glory here.

You just said PL players are shyte because they never had a great WC. Was that Made up too?
I never said PL are shite because they dont play at world cup. If u claim i said then show me that quote then. Otherwise u are pathetically making up stuff to suit ur argument.:facepalm:

I never said PL are shite because they dont play at world cup. If u claim i said then show me that quote then. Otherwise u are pathetically making up stuff to suit ur argument.:facepalm:
Schweinsteiger havent performed against the best players in the world? :facepalm: He played for no one when they reached a world cup semi final and CL final . Still u cant answer the simple question.Which good DM has he played against? And he is the man:hysterical: Most football fans rate players based on their performance for clubs and Country ofcourse apart from PL fans whose players are mostly shite for their countriess. Not really surprising though. Who said Xavi only won because he plays for Barca.He won because he is a quality player no denying it but that doesnt mean u have to win to be consider alongside Xavi.And Schweinsteiger has put in similar performances in the last 2-3 years to be considered alongside Xavi as the best CM in Europe. The fact that u think its funny saying Cavani is the best striker in Europe shows how ignorant u are away from PL. Seriously how many matches f Cavanin or Gomez or Schweinsteiger to commenting on them seriously? Both Bayern and United are as likely to reach Semi as each other as long as they avoid Barca in QF. But certainly Bayern has more chance of winning it than United since the final is in ALianz arena and they do have a better team than United.
You never said PL is shyte, But meant my argument is not valid for PL because they play Shyte in the WC. Am I wrong?

So how many according to you had great WCs? And because Xavi, Iniesta had a great WC and happen to belong from La Liga, La Liga itself is better than anyother league?
Please show me a quote where i said a la liga player playing well means his league is better? Again and again i am asking where did i say that? Where as most of the superstars from La Liga played in WC last year.
I do not live in UK, you seem to be reading a lot from British Media, I havent seen him play or Pele or Maradona apart from some YouTube Videos. I didnt even say he was as good as them or any less that them. I am just going with the Opinion of Legendary Footballers who were not British and never worked for British Media, pele for that matter. Few posts back you accused me of passing my Judgement on players without even watching them play, now did you watch Best play? If not STFU!
So do u believe he is as great as Pele and Maradona? That is do u think he is one of the top 3 footballers of all time. I already said he is a great football so not sure what ur point is.
So you are passing Judgement on a player after just one season, who's better Drogba or Hernandez? Hernandez scored 20 last season. Who's better? Torres or Hernandez? If you talk one season while passing your Judgement you should rate Hernandez better than both. What Joke.
I said at the moment. Oh and i would take Hernandez over Torress or Drogba at the moment. Why would i not take an inform striker like Hernandez over a struggling striker like Torres or a declining striker like Drogba.
Tell me single season where Pato really had a very good season then.Rather than i watched him in one match bla bla bla Pato : 50 goals in 105 games Cavani : 63 in 148 games Rigs a bell eh?
So simply asking u which season did Pato had a great season like Cavani had last season?
Are you a Serious? Drogba was one of the best strikers in Club football even two seasons back. You are comparing Carragher to Drogba? This doesnt even deserve a Laugh.
And 3 seasons ago when Liverpool finshed 2nd behind United Carragher was one of the best defenders in Europe. I suppose ur bias against Liverpool clouds ur logic

^ I thought we were comparing the service Pato gets at Milan to what Cavani gets in Napoli :hmmmm:
Milan have been one of the best sides in Italy over the last few seasons so Pato naturally gets better service than Cavani. Man United and Barca have been the best sides in their respective leagues in the last few seasons so Rooney and Messi both get very good service. Obviously Messi gets better service but Messi also makes more goals for himself than Rooney. Don't know why you brought Rooney into it. Not every post has to be about United.

You never said PL is shyte' date=' But meant my argument is not valid for PL because they play Shyte in the WC. Am I wrong?[/quote'] I simply stated a fact that PL players were always shite in world cups.So most PL fans often discount their performances in world cups often rating players. But i never meant that if a player plays well in world cup means his league is better or he is better than any PL player. My basic point was that performances in mean as much as performing in CL. I am genuinely bemused how u arrived at the conclusion that it means i said all PL are shite if they dont perform in WC.

Please show me a quote where i said a la liga player playing well means his league is better? Again and again i am asking where did i say that? Where as most of the superstars from La Liga played in WC last year.
Can your please mention your Point in brief then?
So do u believe he is as great as Pele and Maradona? That is do u think he is one of the top 3 footballers of all time. I already said he is a great football so not sure what ur point is.
Some say Maradona > Pele, Some say Pele > Maradona, some say Cryff> Maradona/Pele I havent seen any of them play, But whatever little I have seen and read [ NOT FROM BRITISH MEDIA OF COURSE] He was one of the best of his generation. Your argument against him is valid only if you have seen him play If not, its not worth a debate, because I am not passing on my personal Opinion here, just passing on what Legends thought of him.
So simply asking u which season did Pato had a great season like Cavani had last season?
Pato may not have one great season like Cavani had, But surely he is more consistent than Cavani ever was. So Pato > Cavani Not many would score again Barca's within 3 mins as Pato did.
And 3 seasons ago when Liverpool finshed 2nd behind United Carragher was one of the best defenders in Europe. I suppose ur bias against Liverpool clouds ur logic
Again its just one season. I do not pass my Judgements on a player after just one season as you do. Its like Jumping on the gun.

Milan have been one of the best sides in Italy over the last few seasons so Pato naturally gets better service than Cavani. Man United and Barca have been the best sides in their respective leagues in the last few seasons so Rooney and Messi both get very good service. Obviously Messi gets better service but Messi also makes more goals for himself than Rooney. Don't know why you brought Rooney into it. Not every post has to be about United.
All of them play in Europe? So we can obviously compare them on what they do in Europe?

Can your please mention your Point in brief then?
Leave that it was a repeat point of earlier one mixed.
Some say Maradona > Pele, Some say Pele > Maradona, some say Cryff> Maradona/Pele I havent seen any of them play, But whatever little I have seen and read [ NOT FROM BRITISH MEDIA OF COURSE] He was one of the best of his generation. Your argument against him is valid only if you have seen him play If not, its not worth a debate, because I am not passing on my personal Opinion here, just passing on what Legends thought of him.
Exactly Cryuff Maradona and Pele and ofcourse Kaiser. See everyone of them had great world cups.U wont be considered a contender for GOAT until u prove in world cup.Thats why i said he[his legendary status] was overrated by British media. I am not judging about his playing qualities but only his legendary status.I was actually using it point out how british media overrate players.
Pato may not have one great season like Cavani had, But surely he is more consistent than Cavani ever was. So Pato > Cavani Not many would score again Barca's within 3 mins as Pato did.
Pato maybe more consistant in last four years but Cavani is in far better form than him.Why does it matter over last four years when i am referring to the best striker at the moment. U are genuinely confusing consistency with current form imo.Yes Puyol over a long period of term is a great defender but that wont change the fact Silva is a better defender than him at moment. As for 3rd minute goal against Barca neither are many capable of scoring a hattrick against Milan like Cavani did.
Again its just one season. I do not pass my Judgements on a player after just one season as you do. Its like Jumping on the gun.
Are u seriously saying carra has been only a great defender for one season? What about the season when Liverpool won CL in 2005 or in 2007 when they reached another final or in 2008 when they reached semi final? Seriously what on earth are u about Carragher being one season wonder?

Exactly Cryuff Maradona and Pele and ofcourse Kaiser. See everyone of them had great world cups.U wont be considered a contender for GOAT until u prove in world cup.Thats why i said he[his legendary status] was overrated by British media. I am not judging about his playing qualities but only his legendary status.I was actually using it point out how british media overrate players.
Best didnt play WC, now thats not his fault? Had he played for England he would have played WC too. Bobby Charlton did win a WC and a CL, now who would you rate better? Charlton or Best?
Pato maybe more consistant in last four years but Cavani is in far better form than him.Why does it matter over last four years when i am referring to the best striker at the moment.
So Hernandez is in Better form than many around , or even Welbeck for that matter. Form is temporary , Class is Permanent. And I certainly rate Pato quite highly.
U are genuinely confusing consistency with current form imo.Yes Puyol over a long period of term is a great defender but that wont change the fact Silva is a better defender than him at moment.
I am not in a position to pass my Judgemnt on Silva, I have hardly watched him play. Heard a lot about him. Will watch him play in CL this season. Puyol is Quite good.
As for 3rd minute goal against Barca neither are many capable of scoring a hattrick against Milan like Cavani did. Are u seriously saying carra has been only a great defender for one season?
I seriously do not think Carra has been as good as Rio, Terry, Vidic, Puyol, Nesta. The names I mentioned have been one of the best Defenders in Europe some time back. Dont think I would be putting Carra in the same bracket as them.
What about the season when Liverpool won CL in 2005 or in 2007 when they reached another final or in 2008 when they reached semi final? Seriously what on earth are u about Carragher being one season wonder?
Carra has been good, But Not in the class of the players i mentioned. If you think otherwise, lets agree to disagree.

Ummm How many CLs have the teams from BPL won in comparision to teams from La Liga,Serie A??? How many FIFA player of the year have BPL players won? BPL is all British media........los of money lots of glamour.......some quality.......but not the best....If you start rating clubs according to the nos. of CL they have won........EPL teams will not be in top 3 i presume. Also some one said that EPL/BPL is more competitive........competition is not on paper but on performance.........how many Europa Cup/UEFA cup..........the 2nd level of competition in Europe have BPL teams won?????Playing with each other is a different thing than playing in Europe.......which is why a BPL team has won only 3 CLs in last 20 years.........