Irani Trophy Discussion thread - Rajasthan v/s Rest of India - October 1-5th

saneindian

Aaron needs to play a lot more of FC cricket before you can even think of picking him for tests.
Agreed. His selection was never justified for this match. He has always had pace and has not yet taken many FC wickets. Therefore something important is missing.

FC stats are important as far as I'm concerned. People will quote Joginder and JP Yadav as examples but I'm not saying that you should pick everyone solely based on numbers but a decent FC record should be a prerequisite. After that you make a judgement on who has the quality to be successful at the highest level. That is where the selector earns his corn.

Agreed. His selection was never justified for this match. He has always had pace and has not yet taken many FC wickets. Therefore something important is missing.
I agree with you. He must learn the art of picking up wickets though he took wickets in EPT, but these are flatter tracks, especially in plate division. This Ranji season will be important for him in this regard. Elite division bowlers get more helpful tracks in places like Bangalore and Mysore, in Delhi there is Roashanaara, IPCL in Baroda is good too. Motera is flat. Rajkot is flat. Wankhede is a good track. These guys need to work on their stamina as well if they want to bowl long spells in test matches.
Why is it tough times. The three bowlers with good FC records have done well and the two with poor FC records have done poorly. We do have more than 3 bowlers in India with good FC records.
absolutely correct. a good FC avg is a necessary but not sufficient for success in intl cricket. but unfortunately, as others have observed as well, VK has been hit around in intl games. he just doesn't have enough in the armory to do well outside domestic cricket. for umesh i think we need to give him a long rope even if he gets hit around, he does have all the ingredients necessary to achieve moderate success at least. VA needs to decide if he wants to actually bowl quick, if he just keeps 'holding back' for whatever reason then he has nothing else to contribute. you have to play to your strengths and he needs to identify them don't know about ojha, haven't seen him enough
FC stats are important as far as I'm concerned. People will quote Joginder and JP Yadav as examples but I'm not saying that you should pick everyone solely based on numbers but a decent FC record should be a prerequisite. After that you make a judgement on who has the quality to be successful at the highest level. That is where the selector earns his corn.
Indeed. More people need to realize and understand this point.
^ ya. But he needs to be in the ODI team. Atleast he needs to be given few chances .
big no no. he will get thrashed like none other and lose confidence. right now he is totally confused as to whether he should bowl quick or focus on line/length. in ODIs you don't have enough time to settle in. now we should get it why dhoni didn't select him, he knows better than us...
+1
big no no. he will get thrashed like none other and lose confidence. right now he is totally confused as to whether he should bowl quick or focus on line/length. in ODIs you don't have enough time to settle in. now we should get it why dhoni didn't select him, he knows better than us...
That is Dhoni's non-selection whidh confused him, IMO.
Arre yaar.. he clearly is not test ready yet. You need to select him for ODIs - atleast everyone will get an accurate picture of how he performs at that level
hate to say this but good bowling by VK the trundler. VK is the best we have :( Umesh looks a good prospect. VA has been hopeless... tough times ahead for india in tests
No use of bowling quick and getting injured in these uselesss domestic matches. We dont know if they were deliberately bowling slowiy to avoid any injuries when they are picked for indian side.
No use of bowling quick and getting injured in these uselesss domestic matches. We dont know if they were deliberately bowling slowiy to avoid any injuries when they are picked for indian side.
huh? that's the argument that's always used. that way they will never bowl quick ever as they keep thinking about whether they will be able to play the next match or not. if he had the stamina to bowl quick, he would, but he didn't, so it shows he's not ready yet. anyway, we need to realize as someone said above that indian pace development and training is still falling short and it will take years for us as a culture to improve our diet and mentality to be more athletic.
ok' date=' but dhoni/raina said they played him in the nets and he was found lacking. i'll take his word...[/quote'] Yaar I have seen him in 6matches and did not find him wayward. He was not even wayward in this match and was very consistent at decent pace 85-90 mph. It is just he did not pick any wicket. Picking wicket is an art which comes when some one plays more matches. He is still very raw and inexperience and he will learn as he plays more matches. Pace alone does not bring you wicket. It is your intelligence and use of that pace you have to get wickets which helps you. It is an art which a bowler learns. He needs to learn fast as well.
huh? that's the argument that's always used. that way they will never bowl quick ever as they keep thinking about whether they will be able to play the next match or not. if he had the stamina to bowl quick, he would, but he didn't, so it shows he's not ready yet. anyway, we need to realize as someone said above that indian pace development and training is still falling short and it will take years for us as a culture to improve our diet and mentality to be more athletic.
But but, how would u know they weren't bowling quick to avoid any injury in these hot conditions. They aren't bowling in england, are they? Btwn, they are selected for indian odi team, not the test team. So, chillax.:winky:
then why we have thread here a week before match starts abd people singing his prise.. thus is the problem of overhype...If he cant avoid Injury bowling phaaaast in a domestic match against average batting side how can he bowl inn International match agaoinst little bit better batsmen... Even you peoples favourite Vinay took some wkts...