Zaheer has a big role to play: Srinath

King

Attittude wise , I too agree that Sree is better than Zaheer. All the running in , never giving up , wanting to be the best ever etc is all perfectly commendable. But , in pure fast bowling terms , I would rate Zaheer ahead of Sree. I think Zaheer is more incisive and has more variety than Sree. Personally , if given a choice , i would rather face Sree than Zaheer. That Zaheer comfortably outperformed M.Asif in the afro-asia cup speaks volumes of his class. And yea , Sree might have grabbed all the accolades in the S.Africa test series, but Zaheer literally TOYED around with Graeme Smith. I havnt seen Smith look totally in the sea against any other bowler. That speaks volumes of Zaheer's pedigree. And yes , the english test series will help settle many of these debates !:thumbs_up:

Ravi' date=' What is Srinath's take on Nehra and Balaji. Does he think they are finished in terms of test cricket ?[/quote'] I haven't spoken to him for a while but the last time I spoke to him he was pretty pleased with Sreesanth. He was also pretty optimistic Venky will do a good job as the coach. In fact he reckons Venky knows a lot about bowling in English conditions. Not too many X-Cricketers I know bust their nights watching Indian cricket at odd hours but Srinath watches any cricket and he ends up being awake watching every ball being bowled through out the night just like us folks. If anyone thought the X-Cricketers don't really watch much cricket, here is an exception.

Zaheer is pretty skillful. He hits the deck hard and to certain extent can move the ball in the air a bit. He is way better than Sreesanth in hitting the length. Sreesanth hits the seam way better than the rest of the bowlers including Zaheer but can be pretty wayward. I guess with time and experience he will get more consistent with his line and length. Sreesanth is more of skidder than someone that hits the deck hard. It helps to have a combination of left and right opening the bowling. I feel both will do well enough in English conditions. They won't really have to do anything extra than just hitting the seam every ball. The rest should fall in place if they are able to do that. Unfortunately over aggressive might cost the bowling a bit in English conditions. It is not the bouncers that get wickets in English conditions but the seam and swing. To get anything out of the wicket the bowlers have to pitch the ball up. I hope our bowlers do just that.

I haven't spoken to him for a while but the last time I spoke to him he was pretty pleased with Sreesanth. He was also pretty optimistic Venky will do a good job as the coach. In fact he reckons Venky knows a lot about bowling in English conditions. Not too many X-Cricketers I know bust their nights watching Indian cricket at odd hours but Srinath watches any cricket and he ends up being awake watching every ball being bowled through out the night just like us folks. If anyone thought the X-Cricketers don't really watch much cricket, here is an exception.
Thanks.
Attittude wise , I too agree that Sree is better than Zaheer. All the running in , never giving up , wanting to be the best ever etc is all perfectly commendable. But , in pure fast bowling terms , I would rate Zaheer ahead of Sree. I think Zaheer is more incisive and has more variety than Sree. Personally , if given a choice , i would rather face Sree than Zaheer. That Zaheer comfortably outperformed M.Asif in the afro-asia cup speaks volumes of his class. And yea , Sree might have grabbed all the accolades in the S.Africa test series, but Zaheer literally TOYED around with Graeme Smith. I havnt seen Smith look totally in the sea against any other bowler. That speaks volumes of Zaheer's pedigree. And yes , the english test series will help settle many of these debates !:thumbs_up:
Hope they both do so well that the only debate would be which of them deserves the "Man of the Series" award more?
I think you have a fair point about Zaheer being overall a better fast bowler than Sree today but I would attribute a bit of that atleast to his vast experience as also the fact that he is a lefty. I think where Sree scores over Zaheer is not only in terms of aggressiveness but the very fact that he tries to hit the seam. That should help him specially in England.
Zaheer has lots of varitey. Short pitched hit me' date=' wide outside the off, wide outside the leg, bouncer over everyone's head...[/quote'] You are getting him confused with crapthan. Since he came back he has done well. Anyone got any stats on zk since he came back in to team? I bet they are decent. Been by far our best seamer for last year
I still cannot believe some of guys rate Sreesanth ahead of Zaheer in the Indian pace attack. For me , Zaheer is still our spearhead. and Sree was the only fast bowler worth his salt in the Indian team , then why wasnt he played in the last match with S.Africa ? He would have recovered from the flu by then.
Zaheer's bowling will be wicked in English condtions. Just wait and watch.
Attittude wise , I too agree that Sree is better than Zaheer. All the running in , never giving up , wanting to be the best ever etc is all perfectly commendable. But , in pure fast bowling terms , I would rate Zaheer ahead of Sree. I think Zaheer is more incisive and has more variety than Sree. Personally , if given a choice , i would rather face Sree than Zaheer. That Zaheer comfortably outperformed M.Asif in the afro-asia cup speaks volumes of his class. And yea , Sree might have grabbed all the accolades in the S.Africa test series, but Zaheer literally TOYED around with Graeme Smith. I havnt seen Smith look totally in the sea against any other bowler. That speaks volumes of Zaheer's pedigree.
I know a few of you here dont think Zaheer is our no.1 seamer. I am pretty sure the team thinks he is our best pacer.
Way to Go Zak ! You have proved me 100% wrong ! Go on , Keep embarrassing me . God bless you ! :wall:
I haven't spoken to him for a while but the last time I spoke to him he was pretty pleased with Sreesanth. He was also pretty optimistic Venky will do a good job as the coach. In fact he reckons Venky knows a lot about bowling in English conditions. Not too many X-Cricketers I know bust their nights watching Indian cricket at odd hours but Srinath watches any cricket and he ends up being awake watching every ball being bowled through out the night just like us folks. If anyone thought the X-Cricketers don't really watch much cricket, here is an exception.
Srinath sounds like a top banana (top bloke).