Finance/Investment Discussions

CC1981

Apart from the funds part of the topic' date=' most analysts are predicting a recession in the US economy in less than 2 quarters, mainly due to the rut in the housing sector.[/quote'] So what do we do about this ? Investment gurus here ... how does one protect against the dreaded R ? Invest on ETFs for overseas investments ? Bet on the Euro or on Gold/other materials (via ETFs, I dont have the expertise to directly trade in them) ?

So what do we do about this ? Investment gurus here ... how does one protect against the dreaded R ? Invest on ETFs for overseas investments ? Bet on the Euro or on Gold/other materials (via ETFs' date=' I dont have the expertise to directly trade in them) ?[/quote'] Yes, overseas...Invest in International market to hedge against R in USA (if it hits usa in 2008/9). BTW - do u follow cricket these days? :P

the market is a lil rocky and in a state of flux right now.... at this point, these were my actions and I would suggest the same for interested readers.... 1. Usually, i would allocate 5-10% of my portfolio in speculative stocks. First, I got rid of those. 2. Moved 20% of my portfolio and locked them into CDs of various maturity lengths. 3. Invest 50% in the large caps or funds tht deals with large caps. The next 2 years belongs to them. 4. Do not invest in Indian ADRs especially the IT ones. 5. In my personal opinion, atleast 5% of the portfolio should be invested in energy stocks or funds. 4. Invest in

the market is a lil rocky and in a state of flux right now.... at this point, these were my actions and I would suggest the same for interested readers.... 1. Usually, i would allocate 5-10% of my portfolio in speculative stocks. First, I got rid of those. 2. Moved 20% of my portfolio and locked them into CDs of various maturity lengths. 3. Invest 50% in the large caps or funds tht deals with large caps. The next 2 years belongs to them. 4. Do not invest in Indian ADRs especially the IT ones. 5. In my personal opinion, atleast 5% of the portfolio should be invested in energy stocks or funds. 4. Invest in
Gator - your posts is incomplete...can u edit it?

Yep, getting hit... from the news reels... Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said the risks of an economic downturn are more pronounced and after a Philadelphia Federal Reserve survey showed regional manufacturing activity weakened in January. ... The unease about the economy hit stocks. The Dow Jones industrial average, which had been up more than 50 points early in the session, fell 78.77, or 0.63 percent, to 12,387.39. Broader stock indicators also fell. The Standard & Poor's 500 index slid 11.97, or 0.63 percent, to 1,387.39, and the Nasdaq composite index fell 9.11, or 0.38 percent, to 2,385.48. Declining issues outnumbered advancers by about 5 to 2 on the New York Stock Exchange, where volume came to 488.1 million shares.

thats $25/hr more than what you would get for your IQ level ..... :hysterical:
The guy is in his early 20's and makes 50-60K. If he works hard and makes wise decisions in life he's going to be a millionaire by age 40. I hope you are already a millionaire to make fun of him since you have crossed 40.

Tech stocks are eating dirt. This is bad! And rental costs are increasing since the housing market is down and more people are renting than buying. Damn Real Estate market!
BabaGanoush, It *is* bad that stocks are getting hammered - not surprisingly its a fallout from real estate tanking as well. Time for bonds, cds etc??? Also, what abt international investments? That may be an option to look at.

thats $25/hr more than what you would get for your IQ level ..... :hysterical:
The guy is in his early 20's and makes 50-60K. If he works hard and makes wise decisions in life he's going to be a millionaire by age 40. I hope you are already a millionaire to make fun of him since you have crossed 40.
@BB: Ouch! Thats below the belt. Now why would anyone make fun of someone else based on what they earn? These things change before you know.

in a time where recession can loom, maybe we can add some recession proof industry stocks as well. Basically growth securities will take a hit, looks like.
So what does a guy with a small amount of outside-of-401K investment do ? Put a good part of it into bonds or into "recession proof" industry stocks (and what might they be ? )