Finance/Investment Discussions

CC1981

Apple is not a risky stock. Solid company, solid products, great revenues. Wait for a pull back & jump right in. 125-130 range is a buy. They are announcing earnings on Jul 25. I expect it to head straight up, unless the market crashes (which doesnt look probable right now)

Great call their Prof. Analysts are predicting iPhone sales will fetch Apple $15B in just 2-3 years (Apple took 29 years to reach $15B in revenue' date=' which iPhone will supposedly generate in 2 years)[/quote'] Yeah has turned out to be one of the few profitable financial decisions I have taken in my life. Sold around 40% of them at around a 20% return. BTW, for those interested in Apple stock, as bumper said they are announcing their earnings on July 25. Also, their new OS, Leopard, is coming out around October. Historically, their prices have gone up at the release of every OS.

A good thread (and total 'information overload' for me) but i could've sworn that i didn't start this thread- the opening post was in response to someone in some other thread. Help me out here mods- i am either smoking too much dope and losing my memory or i have an alter-ego clone somewhere in this mb. :confused:

A good thread (and total 'information overload' for me) but i could've sworn that i didn't start this thread- the opening post was in response to someone in some other thread. Help me out here mods- i am either smoking too much dope and losing my memory or i have an alter-ego clone somewhere in this mb. :confused:
The Chinese lettuce part , which was the thread started as , has been deleted CC. So the first post is actually the 25/26 th post of the chinese lettuce one. Only , they have all been deleted.

The Chinese lettuce part ' date=' which was the thread started as , has been deleted CC. So the first post is actually the 25/26 th post of the chinese lettuce one. Only , they have all been deleted.[/quote'] Gotcha. Phew... not yet time to quit the doobie then thankfully! :hysterical:

Guest dada_rocks
The Chinese lettuce part ' date=' which was the thread started as , has been deleted CC. So the first post is actually the 25/26 th post of the chinese lettuce one. Only , they have all been deleted.[/quote'] batana zarrori tha kya ..isi bahane pot-smoking chhut jata bachche ka:tounge_smile:

Guest dada_rocks

last night till 3 AM I kept reading that morningstar online course on mutual funds. There is so much info there it will take me sometime to read them all.

Guest dada_rocks
Bhaiya ! FFI ko cho.do aur morningstar ko pakado.:wink_smile:
waise bhi FFI pe main barson se nahin gaya koi naya information mere liye nahin raha wahan..... :tounge_smile:

hey guys, been readin morningstar and then felt lazy reading all that info and searched for tts(text to speech) readers. Found Text Aloud to be useful. Although, the sound is not that great, its good when you are tired of reading. It also has a firefox toolbar. But since morningstar lessons open in a pop up window, cant use the toolbar to play, So I copy the text and drag and drop into Text Aloud window. Search for it in torrents for the cracked version.

I dont know how u guys are researching. Mutual funds research does not take hours. If u are reading for hours u are probably reading all the wrong details, u never need to know. Here are some simple tips to quickly research a mutual fund: 1) Overall returns I presume ur first goal in investing is to maximise returns. Go to yahoo or google or even morning star, invoke the fund screener to get the top funds. Here is a categorised screener: http://biz.yahoo.com/p/top.html Overall Top Performers gives u all top funds. If u are interested in a particular category, click on that category 2) Choose a specific Fund Once u have chosen a fund click on it. Eg: Lets choose PRLAX It takes u to this page: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=prlax&d=t 3) Analyse its performance Now click on Performance on the left panel. You will see how the fund has performed year over year. Choose the last 3 years as your benchmark. You can see that over the last 3 years PRLAX has given an average of 60% return. Now based on these numbers you know two things: a) It provides great returns b) Its consistently good 4) Analyse risk/reward ratio: Checkout the numbers in the last bull & bear markets Last Bull Market ( 28-Feb-03 to 31-Mar-04)78.68 Last Bear Market ( 31-Mar-02 to 30-Apr-03)-14.88 These numbers indicate the fund has a better risk/reward ratio. More upside than downside. 5) Fund Profile & Fees Now click on Profile on the left panel. This page tells u several things: a) It provides a overall star rating (Morning star rating. 1 is worst, 5 is best) b) It shows you the style box. PRLAX invests in the Large Cap Growth sector (means good & well established companies) c) Min Initial Investment = $2500. This is the min u should invest if u wanna buy this fund d) And one of the most important criteria: FEES & EXPENSES Max 12b1 Fee:0.00% (Fees charged for Fund's ad expenses) Max Front End Sales Load:0.00% (Fees charges when u buy the fund. If fee = 10% & u invest $5K, $500 bucks from your investment will be charged as fee. Only $4500 of equity will be credited to u.) Max Deferred Sales Load:0.00% (Fees charged when u sell the fund) As u can see PRLAX does not have any of these fees. After researching all criteria, buy the fund that: a) Has good avg returns over a 3 year period b) Has the best risk/reward ratio c) Has no fees d) And has an initial investment that u can afford. PRLAX's initial investment is $2500 Also use your common sense. U dont wanna invest in Afghanistan even if the funds numbers are attractive. Just scan the profile to get an idea where they invest your money. Once u develop sufficient expertise u can scrutinise the funds for more details. But this is good enuff for a start

Guest dada_rocks

I have gone throuogh all this so mosty probably as you pointed I am imbibing now knowledge overhead as a potential investor. Thanks a bunch for one concise summary of it all . This post goes to my desktop for reference.:thumbs_up:

I dont know how u guys are researching. Mutual funds research does not take hours. If u are reading for hours u are probably reading all the wrong details, u never need to know. Here are some simple tips to quickly research a mutual fund: 1) Overall returns I presume ur first goal in investing is to maximise returns. Go to yahoo or google or even morning star, invoke the fund screener to get the top funds. Here is a categorised screener: http://biz.yahoo.com/p/top.html Overall Top Performers gives u all top funds. If u are interested in a particular category, click on that category 2) Choose a specific Fund Once u have chosen a fund click on it. Eg: Lets choose PRLAX It takes u to this page: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=prlax&d=t 3) Analyse its performance Now click on Performance on the left panel. You will see how the fund has performed year over year. Choose the last 3 years as your benchmark. You can see that over the last 3 years PRLAX has given an average of 60% return. Now based on these numbers you know two things: a) It provides great returns b) Its consistently good 4) Analyse risk/reward ratio: Checkout the numbers in the last bull & bear markets Last Bull Market ( 28-Feb-03 to 31-Mar-04)78.68 Last Bear Market ( 31-Mar-02 to 30-Apr-03)-14.88 These numbers indicate the fund has a better risk/reward ratio. More upside than downside. 5) Fund Profile & Fees Now click on Profile on the left panel. This page tells u several things: a) It provides a overall star rating (Morning star rating. 1 is worst, 5 is best) b) It shows you the style box. PRLAX invests in the Large Cap Growth sector (means good & well established companies) c) Min Initial Investment = $2500. This is the min u should invest if u wanna buy this fund d) And one of the most important criteria: FEES & EXPENSES Max 12b1 Fee:0.00% (Fees charged for Fund's ad expenses) Max Front End Sales Load:0.00% (Fees charges when u buy the fund. If fee = 10% & u invest $5K, $500 bucks from your investment will be charged as fee. Only $4500 of equity will be credited to u.) Max Deferred Sales Load:0.00% (Fees charged when u sell the fund) As u can see PRLAX does not have any of these fees. After researching all criteria, buy the fund that: a) Has good avg returns over a 3 year period b) Has the best risk/reward ratio c) Has no fees d) And has an initial investment that u can afford. PRLAX's initial investment is $2500 Also use your common sense. U dont wanna invest in Afghanistan even if the funds numbers are attractive. Just scan the profile to get an idea where they invest your money. Once u develop sufficient expertise u can scrutinise the funds for more details. But this is good enuff for a start

Damn.. I got to this thread very late.. Lurker.. you have mechanical degree and now you are in datawarehousing area?? intresting.. I am in more or less the same field.. I deal with informatica, epiphany, ibase type of tools too.. but now I am thinking of doing Masters in a field while working.. not sure though any advise, what field i should choose?? (btw i did BBA in finance and MIS)..