A True great of the ODI game.

Ram

Viv Richards, Zaheer Abbas, and Kapil Dev were freaks to have such a high SR over 50+ matches. But Kapil's average is nowhere near a top order batsman of his era and Zaheer played too few ODIs. In the end, Jones and Richards would be the stand out ODI batsmen from the pre -90s era.

In my all-time odi batters, the top 3 are Sachin, Viv and Jones in that order.... Hussey is another over-rated odi player.... he is more a grafter who manages to be not out towards the end and keep adding to his inflating average.... I rate Yuvraj faar ahead of him...

If you're trying to bait me with that rubbish, you succeeded. :wink_smile: A grafter ?? Hussey's last century, against NZ, was 105 from 84 balls. His previous one (109*) was from 90 balls. He came to the wicket at 4/64. His overall strike rate in ODIs is 90.35 Batting averages mean little in ODIs. Really shouldn't even be a stat. Should be runs per innings, not dismissal. His runs per innings is much the same as SRT's but with a better strike rate.

A grafter ?? Hussey's last century, against NZ, was 105 from 84 balls. His previous one (109*) was from 90 balls. He came to the wicket at 4/64. His overall strike rate in ODIs is 90.35
wow.... tht post reached dizzying heights.... comparing 1800 runs career Hussey with a 15000 run Sachin who has a career tht spans 3 decades.... i will give u credit though for rightly alluding tht it aint all numbers in cricket..... from wat i have seen of Hussey, he aint someone who i would trust while chasing under the pressure of a steepling asking rate... i would like to see his stats after a few more years when it wil be worth comparing with the inzimamas, laras and Gangulys before we even think of comparing him with the Sachin/Viv/Jones

Hussey has had a good couple of years, big deal. You could get any great and cherry pick a couple of their best years and there stats would be awesome. He is not done it for a sustained period of years so will always be an also ran. He also seems a bit of a twat! As he also gave himself the nick name of "Mr Cricket". People who give themselves such macho nciknames are not the best types

wow.... tht post reached dizzying heights.... comparing 1800 runs career Hussey with a 15000 run Sachin who has a career tht spans 3 decades....
You have to admit that he is impressive though. How many batsmen do you know of that have made a similar start to their ODI careers - ie; 2000 runs @ 60 with an SR of over 90 ? I can count one...Pietersen. Maybe Graeme Smith ? I haven't seen anyone make the transistion from FC level to International level as comfortably as he has. Even the best batsmen needed a season or two to acclimitise. He came into the Aussie XI, and immediately found his feet - scoring heavily against every bowling attack he faced. No mickey-mouse teams amongst his opponents either...his best innings have been scored against England, South Africa, Sri Lanka, NZ. Like him or not, he is class.
Hussey has had a good couple of years, big deal. You could get any great and cherry pick a couple of their best years and there stats would be awesome. He is not done it for a sustained period of years so will always be an also ran. He also seems a bit of a twat! As he also gave himself the nick name of "Mr Cricket". People who give themselves such mach nciknames are not the best types
This topic isn't about Hussey. It's about Dean Jones. I merely replied to whoever it was calling him a 'grafter' to show he grafted with a 90 strike rate.
This topic isn't about Hussey. It's about Dean Jones. I merely replied to whoever it was calling him a 'grafter' to show he grafted with a 90 strike rate.
Why whenever you get posts you dont like or dont fit in to your view you respond with this is not about the topic? Threads meander! What about the fact he gave himself the nickname "Mr Cricket", sounds twatty to me

he should instead be called Mr.Lucky.... most of his averages and runs were piled on in home conditions or in NZ.... a big failure in subcontinent and Windies.... 11 matches in windies - a mammoth 87 runs.... my jaw jus dropped on my lap...

Apparently ? It's my understanding it was a sledge from Symmo in a County match. Something like: (as Huss came out to bat against Symmo's team) "Lookout! Here comes Mr Cricket" - for the same reasons as Gambit mentioned.

Why whenever you get posts you dont like or dont fit in to your view you respond with this is not about the topic? Threads meander!
The first bit of that is nonsense. The last bit is true enough. I just think it's disrespectful to the topic starter to 'meander' more than a couple of posts.