Gautam Gambhir seems to be a shadow of his previous self..

Gautam Gambir's recent form How many of you are aware that since February 2010, Gambhir has been averaging 32 in Tests from 14 matches? That is the second lowest average among International openers just ahead of Bangladesh's Imrul Kayes in this period. He also has no 100s in this period. That's no centuries in his last 24 innings. Is it a cause for concern? http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_positionmax1=2;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;qualmin1=15;qualval1=innings;spanmin1=01+feb+2010;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

How many of you are aware that since February 2010, Gambhir has been averaging 32 in Tests from 14 matches? That is the second lowest average among International openers just ahead of Bangladesh's Imrul Kayes in this period. He also has no 100s in this period. That's no centuries in his last 24 innings. Is it a cause for concern? http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_positionmax1=2;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;qualmin1=15;qualval1=innings;spanmin1=01+feb+2010;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting
Not really. He is a class player who has picked up a lot of freak injuries over the last couple of years. His twin 50s at Cape Town against a rampaging Steyn showed his class and it won't be long before he gets back to his big scoring ways - I predict two centuries for him in Australia.
He has to cut down on his dab/jab/glide outside off to 3rd man. He's too good a player to rely on shots like those' date=' especially in Tests.[/quote'] but those shots are his strength and he has confidence on those shots... will you say sachin should stop straight driving the ball just because he gives 2-3 return catches to the bowler or would you want ponting to not pull if he gets caught at midwicket a few times???
but those shots are his strength and he has confidence on those shots... will you say sachin should stop straight driving the ball just because he gives 2-3 return catches to the bowler or would you want ponting to not pull if he gets caught at midwicket a few times???
I am fine with him playing that shot in odis or T20s but in Aus with a packed slip cordon and bouncy pitches it's a pretty high risk shot. The examples you used - Sachin's straight drive and Ponting's pull - are legitimate options as when they get the shot right or nearly right there isn't a chance of them getting out. But Gambhir's shot, even if executed well, can lead to his dismissal and that's why I would rather he shelves that shot for Tests at least.

sorry for 2 posts yes gambhir was out of form before south africa our he got into form against new zealand in odis after that he has played well if you dont count england tour he was injured we all know that he will be our best batsman in australia ,people think bounce troubles him,infact he would like ball coming on bat and being in impotant series will motivate him to not play those lose shots im more worried about sehwag he looks nothing like 100 percent in form

I am fine with him playing that shot in odis or T20s but in Aus with a packed slip cordon and bouncy pitches it's a pretty high risk shot. The examples you used - Sachin's straight drive and Ponting's pull - are legitimate options as when they get the shot right or nearly right there isn't a chance of them getting out. But Gambhir's shot, even if executed well, can lead to his dismissal and that's why I would rather he shelves that shot for Tests at least.
Every shot has its risk, batsmen need to judge what shots they are comfortable in... he may get out a few times playing that shot but most of the times that shot will give him runs cause he has played it many times and it is one of his strengths... let him play it though he can control it a little when there is a packed slip cordon

tought place for openers? australia had 2 atg opening batsmen in past then sehwag always performed there in opening position cook was on fire in last ashes sorry i think its easy for openers there no real movement not saying there will be no swing or seam it will help bowlers but nothing like south africa or england if you you are good player you will score heavily and good bowlers will get wickets even spinners!

Every shot has its risk' date=' batsmen need to judge what shots they are comfortable in... he may get out a few times playing that shot but most of the times that shot will give him runs cause he has played it many times and it is one of his strengths... let him play it though he can control it a little when there is a packed slip cordon[/quote'] You are spot on that every shot is a risk. But there are shots which are riskier than others. On sub-continent conditions where the bounce of the pitches is low, Gambhir is able to ride the bounce and control the shot and keep it on the ground. And occasionally if he gets the shot wrong, the ball doesn't carry to the slips due to not enough pace in the wkt. However in Aus where pitches will be bouncy, he will get the ball around chest level rather than thigh and it would be tougher for him to get on top of the ball and control the shot and keep it on the ground. Plus the edges will carry to slip in Aus. These two factors will make the shot riskier in Aus and he is too good a player to rely on that shot.
:laugh: ok if u say so . and if its so easy u should be able to name a few more other than sehwag in the ind context .
actually in 90's conditons were very hard! but we all live in present dont we? after 2000 india toured australia 2 times both times sehwag played well and why just talk about india itsn ot like you said its hard for only indian openers struass had good time in australia smith is good in australia i can go on and on i think australia has no deamons for batsman sachin,dravid,laxman always perform there

when on prime form, he looks to play straight......he usually doesn't run the ball to third man in test matches.......i could still remember the straight fours off brett lee.....He used to allow the ball to come and hit his bat rather than other way around.......ppl might say he is in form but not like before.......he never used to chase bowls which are too far In a single word.......becoming anxious now while his asset was patience.....Huge fan of gambhir and want to see him back to prime form.....

when on prime form, he looks to play straight......he usually doesn't run the ball to third man in test matches.......i could still remember the straight fours off brett lee.....He used to allow the ball to come and hit his bat rather than other way around.......ppl might say he is in form but not like before.......he never used to chase bowls which are too far In a single word.......becoming anxious now while his asset was patience.....Huge fan of gambhir and want to see him back to prime form.....
gambhir is one of rare indian batsman who is very good in pacy conditions if bowl comes on he cherishes it and he likes ought situation always gives his best while under pressure to be really honest this tour will be easier for him then lets say tour of south africa where he did well also bowling of aussis is rubbish cummins looks to be fine prospect but he still needs to learn a lot in 2nd innings he was bowling at 130km/h