MS expands in Canada amid visa crunch

Rajiv

Now , will the Canadian worker be paid the same as the equivalent US worker ? And I have no idea why the US govt doesnt want to increase H1B to pre-9/11 levels atleast. It was a pathetic 65,000 till a few weeks ago , but they increased it a little. And this definately is good news for Canadian residents.

High pay is never a problem in Canada, I mean folks are happy with 30-40/hr here, the large salary scenario doesnt exist here US is certiainly not looking good The exchange rate is ridiculous too 1 USD = 1.04 CAD $ So a $60,000 CAD $ salary is as good as 57,000 USD Hardly any difference there

But its certainly is surprising that the corporates havent been able to convince the US govt into raising the visa quotas. If they are as desperate as they seem to be, then they should have put more pressure. After all , its these big corporates that fund the parties. But part of the problem is how Indian software companies are using up major chunks of these visas to bring tech workers from India to work in their US facilities. There was recently a controversy reg this where the US congress had accused these Indian companies ( Infy , TCS , Satyam, Wipro etc) of deliberately using H1B visas to bring in foreign workers instead of employing american nationals.

A question for the economic guys' date=' Since Canada's dollar is pretty high compared to US. Would this hinder growth of companies from US and trade with US?[/quote'] The Canadian dollar is still weak compared to the U.S dollar. As Rajeev pointed out , 1 US dollar = 1.04 Canadian dollar. And reg trade , its good for a country's export if its currency is weak wrt the country to which its exporting to. For eg - Since US dollar = 40 India rupees , American companies can import a lot from India. If the Indian currency appreciates , then the US companies would have to pay more for the same product ( Lets say a product costs 40 Indian rupees. The US guys will have to pay 1 dollar to buy it . If the rupee appreciates to 1 dollar = 35 rupees , then the US guys will have to 1.2 dollars for the same product now). Therefore exports from that country will be hit.

Methinks, its a stunt pulled by MS to jolt the retarded senators out of their comfort zone. I dont see companies flocking to Canadian cold weather. Besides, there arent that many good schools in Canada to feed these giants on a regular basis. Expect some revisions to the H-1B regulations soon.

Mars, in 2002, 1 USD was 1.60 CAD Thats a huge drop in 5 years
Wow ! thats a huge appreciation by the Canadian dollar ! which is again good news for Canadian residents. The way the US dollar is depreciating against other currencies , its almost frightning ! esp wrt to the rupee. It has dropped 10% since i came here. I think its a wise thing for people to start considering putting their money in India , rather than US.

Methinks, its a stunt pulled by MS to jolt the retarded senators out of their comfort zone. I dont see companies flocking to Canadian cold weather. Besides, there arent that many good schools in Canada to feed these giants on a regular basis. Expect some revisions to the H-1B regulations soon.
They just changed H1B regulations Bumper , they wont do it again for sometime. And i dont think lack of Good schools in the US should be a problem. The guys with MS degrees from US schools can always make the switch to Canada.

The Cold Weather is type of a myth, the main population lives along the border towns and the weather is no different than Detroit, NY and Chicago In addition, they mention Vancouver which is sister city of Seattle Schooling system is bit different here but unlike other countries, people prefer the education at home

Canadian school are pretty good such as UofT, Waterloo. UofT has a good masters/research programs esp. for Engineering. Maybe not as good as US but the tution fees are like "way" lower than US universities. One year at Berkley is equal to a full uundergrad tution fee although it varies from field to field.