CC's thread for off topic discussion

gorah_pindu

True. But most jazz musicians can teach that guy a thing or two about playing in tune and in harmony. Metal is 99% cr@p because it is cr@p music, written & played mostly by people who are ad-hoc in their training and skill. Listening to most metal music is an exercise in listening to wannabes who cannot play in tune, cannot compose lyrics in flow and cannot change scales worth lick. heavy metal is (and always has been) too busy rebelling against the establishment to learn music properly and competently.
You do realise that time-switches, discordant notes, etc, are on purpose dont you? Dont tell me you have all along been judging them on the assumption that all metal bands are trying to make lyrics flow like some choir, and guitars sound like a symphonic orchestra? Because in many cases the objective is radical experimentation - and if you think metal musicians cant play good 'technical' music, just because they dont want to, then we are back to the ignorance I mentioned, arnt we?
Because it is deriving pleasure from an act/make-believe of something that is anti-respect and all about self-serving domination or self-pity.
All life-forms are self serving.
Spoken like a truely clueless one. Next thing, i hope you do not go around equating all sciences as equal too- social science and physics
Well, if I do, being a scientist, it would be my perogative. Next thing, I hope you do not go around equating your taste with truth. Ooops, already happened - truely a 'clueless one' :giggle:
Anarchy & nihilism arnt reason- they are seeking differntiation simply for the sake of differentiation.
And the philosophical thesis prize goes to....
Oh but i have- with focus on Neitzche (which is why i found your quote the other day about nihilism to be hillarious- telling a guy who's read a lot of Neitzche to educate himself about nihilism is a pretty hillarious comment actually).
I focused on Descartes, Locke, Hume, Neitzche, Heidigger and Satre, followed by Greek philosophy the following year, and have read several lenghty tomes on Marxist and Indian philosophy. So, by your standard of 'the most qualified person is right', I found your comment hilariously conceited, as so much else ive read today.

1.Far far easier to play and master the guitar than the violin. 2. Most music consumers are music illiterate- so the shortcommings of the guitar can be hidden from the most. 3. Violin's clarity and tonal consistency makes it a lead instrument of far higher capability than the guitar- ie, if i rock at the violin and you suck at the drums, you are far better off playing with a guitarist, since a violin will make you stick out like a sore thumb.
Yep thats right - they dont have different tastes - but inferior litracy. Guess what - people can read a comic and an epic - and appretiate both on its own merits.

1.Far far easier to play and master the guitar than the violin. 2. Most music consumers are music illiterate- so the shortcommings of the guitar can be hidden from the most. 3. Violin's clarity and tonal consistency makes it a lead instrument of far higher capability than the guitar- ie, if i rock at the violin and you suck at the drums, you are far better off playing with a guitarist, since a violin will make you stick out like a sore thumb.
hahahahahhahahahahaha so basically, you think whatever can be played on the guitar, can be played on the violin wow go click on the video i provided, and tell me how someone would play the first 30 seconds of that song on a violin. wow, you really are a piece of art, cc :hysterical:

You do realise that time-switches, discordant notes, etc, are on purpose dont you?
You do realize that it is possible to do all that and still play in f*cking tune and change scales properly, dont you ?
Dont tell me you have all along been judging them on the assumption that all metal bands are trying to make lyrics flow like some choir, and guitars sound like a symphonic orchestra?
No, i am judging them on the fact that they cannot play their own simple and basic compositions very well and in tune.
and if you think metal musicians cant play good 'technical' music, just because they dont want to, then we are back to the ignorance I mentioned, arnt we?
They cannot because most of them arnt trained or understanding of music enough to know how to play their own f*cking instruments and their own f*cking pieces properly.
All life-forms are self serving.
To an extent. Not to the extent of dehumanizing one for another.
Well, if I do, being a scientist, it would be my perogative.
And it'd make you exceedingly dumb if you equated social science to be on the same level as physics.
Next thing, I hope you do not go around equating your taste with truth. Ooops, already happened - truely a 'clueless one
*sigh*. If you play your stuff badly out of tune, fail to accomplish what you set out to do and butcher the melody of the band, you suck. period. No question of taste here. Taste is the genre of music- and i said its fine. What is not a question of taste is the musical competency of 99% of heavy metal groups- which really, is worse than a grade 10 music student's.
So, by your standard of 'the most qualified person is right', I found your comment hilariously conceited, as so much else ive read today
The example was to do with nihilism. As i said, it is laughably conceited to think that someone who's read neitzche doesnt get what nihilism is.

Yep thats right - they dont have different tastes - but inferior litracy. Guess what - people can read a comic and an epic - and appretiate both on its own merits.
This isnt a question of comic or an epic. Its more a question of comic that is chock-full of spelling mistakes and poorly drawn characters (where sita in every other page looks different) compared to a technical masterpiece of the epic. Your comparison grounds of 'its taste and taste only' is nothing more than ignorant drivel, considering that most metal-heads have very little proficiency in playing *in tune*. It is blitheringly obvious- especially if you sit down with a notation of what they are trying to do- that 99% of the time, metalheads fail to accomplish their own designs- simply because they do NOT have good competency in playing in tune, in scale changes and in harmonicizing their band.

hahahahahhahahahahaha so basically, you think whatever can be played on the guitar, can be played on the violin wow
Precisely. Whatever can be played on the guitar, you can play on the violin. And much much more that the guitar is incapable of. That is a musical fact,not an opinion. it is a fact that a fixed fretted instrument like the guitar has FAR less range and precision of tones to a fret-less instrument like the violin. It is also a fact that playing a fretted instrument is infinitely easier than playing a fretless one.
go click on the video i provided, and tell me how someone would play the first 30 seconds of that song on a violin. wow, you really are a piece of art, cc :hysterical:
how am i supposed to explain this without music sheets and scores ?

To an extent. Not to the extent of dehumanizing one for another.
WTF? De-humanizing? You must be the life at parties. Dont have sex at all, if you feel its wrong to take pleasure from using someone else.
And it'd make you exceedingly dumb if you equated social science to be on the same level as physics.
Same level of what? Again, you specify no scale.
The example was to do with nihilism. As i said, it is laughably conceited to think that someone who's read neitzche doesnt get what nihilism is.
LOL, is it also conceited to think that when they apply the term to random stuff in order to demonise it?

Dont have sex at all, if you feel its wrong to take pleasure from using someone else.
Never said that. What is wrong is to use someone like an animal and dehumanize yourself/the other person as sado-machismo does. If putting chains around your chick and beating the f*ck out of her while humping her isnt sick, then i dunno what is sick and isnt in a sexual context. Age of consent doesnt make every sexual toomfoolery you can come up with sane.
Same level of what? Again, you specify no scale.
Scientific accuracy- DUH!
LOL, is it also conceited to think that when they apply the term to random stuff in order to demonise it?
nothing random in showing the nihilism of BDSM.

Scientific accuracy- DUH!
WTF?
Never said that. What is wrong is to use someone like an animal and dehumanize yourself/the other person as sado-machismo does.
1). Why is it wrong? 2). Who says this happens? 3). Define de-humanisation.
nothing random in showing the nihilism of BDSM.
Except you failed to 'show the nihilism of BDSM', you just called it 'nihilistic', without adequate justification, must in the same way as laymen apply the term nihilism as an insult. BDSM as a practice bears very little relevence to the idea that no action is any more justified than another, due to the lack of any universal scale of right or wrong. It is merely a form of psychological/sexual gratification, which has even been applied by religious believers in many cases.

1). Why is it wrong?
Why isnt it ?
2). Who says this happens?
Who says it doesnt ?
3). Define de-humanisation.
You is a piece of meat and a purely material object. That is dehumanization.
It is merely a form of psychological/sexual gratification, which has even been applied by religious believers in many cases.
I agree. it is merely a form of psychological/sexual gratification...a sick form, product of a sick mindset.

Never said that. What is wrong is to use someone like an animal and dehumanize yourself/the other person as sado-machismo does.
Masochism CC :P Yeah lotsa ppl gt their kicks out of different things. No point stopping them as long as it doesn't hurt anyone I guess.

Why isnt it ? Who says it dosent ?
You made the posetive statement.
You is a piece of meat and a purely material object. That is dehumanization.
Sounds like opinion to me, as usual.
I agree. it is merely a form of psychological/sexual gratification...a sick form, product of a sick mindset.
On what basis do you derive your diagnosis?
GP' date=' what do you think of Sadism and Masochism ? Just curious[/quote'] Dosent hurt anyone, so I see nothing wrong with it.

You made the posetive statement.
So ? You are essentially saying 'prove me wrong'- i said do that to me first!
Sounds like opinion to me, as usual.
key words: 'sounds... to...me '.
On what basis do you derive your diagnosis?
Understanding of the ego - from a both western and eastern perspective. Something designed to serve your ego at the expense of another's is nothing more than mental illness.
Dosent hurt anyone, so I see nothing wrong with it.
I disagree...i consider sado-masochism to be extremely damaging mentally. a human being who considers themselves to be equal and as precious as the next doesnt play the slave or the master in the most demeaning way. It shouldnt be banned- but those sado-masochists should get councelling for their sickness.

By the way, here is an interesting description of dehumanisation, courtesy of wiki:

Dehumanization is a process by which members of a group of people assert the "inferiority" of another group through subtle or overt acts or statements. Dehumanization may be directed by an organization (such as a state) or may be the composite of individual sentiments and actions, as with some types of de facto racism. State-organized dehumanization has been directed against perceived racial or ethnic groups, nationalities (or "foreigners" in general), religious groups, sexes, sexual minorities, disabled people as a class, economic and social classes, and many other groups.
This seems hard to equate with BDSM for the following reasons: 1). BDSM emphises equality, not inferiority or superiority 2). Nothing about BDSM removes classical definitions of human 'identity'. 3). Both individuals are free at all time, i.e. 'safeword'. 4). Studies suggest that fantasy about forced sexual situations is common in men and women - is half the population 'sick' CC, or is it far more likely that your own attitudes arnt definative?