Dravid's captaincy.

gator

Gats, Are u telling me that the presence of a certain Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Javed Miandad, Inzamam Ul Haq in his lineup, didnt have much to do with Imran's success ? Make no mistake, Imran led an all star Pak lineup. Not taking any credit away from him, as i still regard him as the greatest leader from the subcontinent, as he did a great job of handling all the egos well, not to mention the challenges working with the most chaotic board of all. However, without his players Imran wouldnt have had 10% of the success he had with the greats he played with. A lineup that reads Butt, Hameed, Farhat in the batting lineup, Sami, Rana, Razzaq in the bowling lineup, with Cr@pmal as keeper, is not a patch on the one Imran led in 1992. Dont even compare these two teams

I have given up on SRT and Dravid is slowly getting there too. The man is completely insipid as a skipper. After WC debacle he went missing. Yesterday of course it was all a "We got off from jail". Would have been nice to hear "Dhoni kicked Pommie butt". I mean all powers to the man, he is a great batsman and human being but like I have always said I would never want to have a cup of coffee with him. Boring and downright uninspiring. Sorry Radhika :sad_smile:

Lead by example doesnt just mean be the leading run scorer or the wicket taker. He must contribute majorly with his speciality ' date=' which is what i meant. At a point , Ganguly was a walking wicket.[/quote']I agree,and it was completely fine to chuck him out of the team. We needed it, and I feel that was the best thing Chappell ever did in his life. :haha:
I have given up on SRT and Dravid is slowly getting there too. The man is completely insipid as a skipper. After WC debacle he went missing. Yesterday of course it was all a "We got off from jail". Would have been nice to hear "Dhoni kicked Pommie butt". I mean all powers to the man, he is a great batsman and human being but like I have always said I would never want to have a cup of coffee with him. Boring and downright uninspiring. Sorry Radhika :sad_smile:
Sorry to say Lurks , that is a typical be-a-man chest thumping reaction reaction from you. How can you allow such prototyped visions of courage , valor or manliness to hide facts that lay right in front of you ?
I agree' date='and it was completely fine to chuck him out of the team. We needed it, and I feel that was the best thing Chappell ever did in his life. :haha:[/quote'] Yea... Imagine your captain averaging in the teens in the last 6 months and then when the team wins due to some one else's brilliance , come up with some belligerent statements. He would look like the biggest fool in the world.
Sorry to say Lurks ' date=' that is a typical be-a-man chest thumping reaction reaction from you. How can you allow such prototyped visions of courage , valor or manliness to hide facts that lay right in front of you ?[/quote'] tht is the job of a leader, Mars-man.... as a leader, i cant afford to accept defeat, even if i was.... u got to come out and praise the character tht his men showed and how the opposition are gonna run like poosies from hereon...
Yea... Imagine your captain averaging in the teens in the last 6 months and then when the team wins due to some one else's brilliance ' date=' come up with some belligerent statements. He would look like the biggest fool in the world.[/quote'] i am not supporting Ganguly's as a captain now... did i??? infact, i have praised More and Chappell, the main ones who booted him out.... why are u conveniently ignoring the fact, wen i rebuked ur theory about ranatunga and imran being the respective stars in runs and wickets....
tht is the job of a leader' date=' Mars-man.... as a leader, i cant afford to accept defeat, even if i was.... [b']u got to come out and praise the character tht his men showed and how the opposition are gonna run like poosies from hereon...
are u serious? with this middle order performance? imagine.. saying that... add to that.. you say that the opponents are gonna run like poosies.. and then your maharathis score 20 runs total in the next test. wow :hysterical: u need to call a spade, a spade. our batting sucked.. and call it that. Dhoni saved you the blushes.. be honest to yourself and your team.
Sorry to say Lurks ' date=' that is a typical be-a-man chest thumping reaction reaction from you. How can you allow such prototyped visions of courage , valor or manliness to hide facts that lay right in front of you ?[/quote'] Chest thumping in what sense Sriram? I have always said the man is boring and uninspiring. Someone I wouldnnt share a cup of coffee with(not that Dravid is dieing to have coffee with me mind you).
tht is the job of a leader' date=' Mars-man.... as a leader, i cant afford to accept defeat, even if i was.... u got to come out and praise the character tht his men showed and how the opposition are gonna run like poosies from hereon...[/quote'] Yea.. Here you have a captain , who comes up with all macho statements and gimmicks in the public and what happens when he goes into bat -- He pees in his pants when up against some quality bowling. Gats , you have been carried away by ridiculous prototypes.
So easy to drag a man down innit? Eleven years of hyperachievement nulled by a 5-match drought. If there is a cricketing God up there, such sullies will not go unanswered. And then I'll have me a few asses.
Dhonds... u r misinterpreting me... I already mentioned, he is in the top 3 greatest indian batters and mentally the toughest player along with Steve Waugh... I am talking about his leadership skills.... why is it a tabbooo to talk about weak points of a player however great he may be as a player.... Leadership involves personality... u know well, i support the booting of Ganguly out of the team, cos he was a non-performer.... but wen he was still performing decently and the mongrel attitude he brought into the team, i dont think anyone can take away tht credit... and this thread aint even about Ganguly... i am also mentioning Ranatunga and Imran.... Let me ask u this.... honestly, do u think, Dravid would have done the same thing, Ranatunga did in Australia??? How much of tht would you attribute to their run in 96 WC...
Chest thumping in what sense Sriram? I have always said the man is boring and uninspiring. Someone I wouldnnt share a cup of coffee with(not that Dravid is dieing to have coffee with me mind you).
No Lurks. It is unfortutanate you have judged Dravid by what you see on T.V. The man is all courage Lurks. Just browse through some of the most vital innings played in Indian history , under what circumstances they were played and you would find Dravid' name figure at the top. If ever i have seen an example of someone who has to the guts to fight it out , to put yourself on the line , and not be afraid to get oneself in the firing line for the team , it is Dravid. Not ganguly.

Dravid is a nice guy, brought up in a nice family, from Indiranagar ( a nice suburb) who studied in a nice college (St Josephs). That is simply the way he will talk - he cant change now. It is too late in life for him. But, how I wish he told Michael Atherton that ' to be honest, we were going for a win from this morning, it is a pity that circumstances beyond our control forced us to shut shop and fight for a draw' And, in response to what the circumstances were 'take a guess, Michael?' with a grin.

Dhonds... u r misinterpreting me... I already mentioned, he is in the top 3 greatest indian batters and mentally the toughest player along with Steve Waugh... I am talking about his leadership skills.... why is it a tabbooo to talk about weak points of a player however great he may be as a player.... Leadership involves personality... u know well, i support the booting of Ganguly out of the team, cos he was a non-performer.... but wen he was still performing decently and the mongrel attitude he brought into the team, i dont think anyone can take away tht credit... and this thread aint even about Ganguly... i am also mentioning Ranatunga and Imran.... Let me ask u this.... honestly, do u think, Dravid would have done the same thing, Ranatunga did in Australia??? How much of tht would you attribute to their run in 96 WC...
I hope you saw what ganguly did when prior was irritating karthik
Chest thumping in what sense Sriram? I have always said the man is boring and uninspiring. Someone I wouldnnt share a cup of coffee with(not that Dravid is dieing to have coffee with me mind you).
Is he trying to inspire journalists through his interviews, Lurker, or the likes of us who read them? The only people he has to inspire are his teammates. Ask them! Please read this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tms/2007/07/time_to_stand_up_and_be_counte_1.shtml
Dravid is a nice guy, brought up in a nice family, from Indiranagar ( a nice suburb) who studied in a nice college (St Josephs). That is simply the way he will talk - he cant change now. It is too late in life for him. But, how I wish he told Michael Atherton that ' to be honest, we were going for a win from this morning, it is a pity that circumstances beyond our control forced us to shut shop and fight for a draw' And, in response to what the circumstances were 'take a guess, Michael?' with a grin.
now thats bordering on arrogance. the only person i can think of, who would attempt something like that.. would be ponting. but i agree.. we need something like that in our cricketers....
Yea.. Here you have a captain ' date=' who comes up with all macho statements and gimmicks in the public and what happens when he goes into bat -- He pees in his pants when up against some quality bowling. Gats , you have been carried away by ridiculous prototypes.[/quote'] u r using Ganguly's bad form as a crutch in this argument..... this thread aint about Ganguly or how he should be brought bak.... Ganguly's performance as a leader and when he was in decent form was one of the passing examples, which u r constantly holding on to... why are u failing to talk anything about Ranatungas and Imran when i mention it in every post of mine....