Lara V Tendulkar

But to be fair, Lara does edge out Sachin. Here's how 1) In all the innings faced by Lara from a bowler who bowled 'down the slope' Lara has averaged 3 runs more than Sachin. Everyone knows that its harder to face a bowler bowling down the slope 2) Lara averages more against left arm spinners when they bowl over the wicket wihtout removing their sweaters 3) Lara has scored more runs in his brith month (May) as compared to Sachin in his (April). Plus May is hotter and hence harder to score in 4) Since ODIs are useless, all the ODI runs should be subtracted from a player's test career. Lara clearly stands out after the calculations 5) Lara's runs per drink (RPD) is lower than Sachin, i.e Lara scores more runs while taking lesser drinks break. Hence Lara is a better batsman You are free to think that Sachin is the better bat, but the cold hard facts state otherwise

But to be fair, Lara does edge out Sachin. Here's how 1) In all the innings faced by Lara from a bowler who bowled 'down the slope' Lara has averaged 3 runs more than Sachin. Everyone knows that its harder to face a bowler bowling down the slope 2) Lara averages more against left arm spinners when they bowl over the wicket wihtout removing their sweaters 3) Lara has scored more runs in his brith month (May) as compared to Sachin in his (April). Plus May is hotter and hence harder to score in 4) Since ODIs are useless, all the ODI runs should be subtracted from a player's test career. Lara clearly stands out after the calculations 5) Lara's runs per drink (RPD) is lower than Sachin, i.e Lara scores more runs while taking lesser drinks break. Hence Lara is a better batsman You are free to think that Sachin is the better bat, but the cold hard facts state otherwise
:offtopic:
why? It's written in the post itself :winky: .... in his last years, Lara easily over shadawod Tendulkar Also their career till Lara retired are similar (with Lara still having an edge) so not much point in comparing those as you can see from below: Excluding Zim and BD, and taking their career's till the point Lara retired (Nov 2006) Tests: Lara: 127 Ten: 120 Runs: Lara: 11,558 (12k) Ten: 9,249 (9.5k) Adv: Lara (in 32 more innings, Lara has approx. 2.3 k more runs, which is at an avg of 72 w/0 considering not outs ) Avg: Lara: 52.53 (53) with only 6 not outs Ten: 52.85 (53) with a staggering 19 not outs Adv: Lara (6 not outs vs 19 not outs) 100s: Lara: 32 in 226 innings Ten: 31 in 194 innings Adv: Ten If you take their careers till the point Lara retired, Lara has an advantage Lara Ten Test batting after Lara retired: LINK (dec 1, 2006 till today) But you are free to think that SRT is the more effective test batsman :P .... I am just giving my opinion here :icflove:
Excellent post Rett.
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: Lara >>> Teenda Lara treated McGrath & co like club bowlers, but McGrath use to get sachin's wickt at will :cantstop::cantstop:
It's true, this is why watching the game you have that benefit rather than happy clapping every run Tindu makes as his fanatics do. McGrath said Lara could destroy attacks and was unstoppable but felt Tendulkar although more consistent, lacked that magical genius. Tendulkar's consistency is most probably due to being more milestone orientated like Kallis so he gets plenty of starts. Both have been labelled greedy players in the past by commentatos such as Boycott and Botham. That's why Tendulkar chokes on 90's or milestones, they mean a lot to him so it gets to him. Out 18 times in ODI in 90'S and 10 in tests. Top in both. On the other hand Lara could take the world's best attack apart over and over again and translate that into a big score.
Did someone stop Lara from playing more or start earlier ? He couldnt cut it anymore in Intl cricket which is why he quit ... whereas Tendulkar keeps going on and on. To the victor the spoils. Winner = Tendulkar.
But Longevity doesn't make Tendulkar better. As Rett has shown Lara is a superior batsmen. If he had played from 16 till 40, he would have better stats than tendulkar. But that still wouldn't prove Lara is better. It's about watching someone, former players view, pressure situations, ability to dominate, Lara was much better IMO.

If it is test matches: If you want a blend of pure elegance, reliable, rock solid controlled aggression go for Tendulkar. If you want a rather inconsistant, stylish, delightful to watch, and a breath taking match winner on his day capable of scoring really huge and making the impossible possible, go for Lara. Lara at his peak prowess was truly unbeleivable even scoring a 500 in a FC game, but Tendulkar's forte has always been consistancy. Bringing Tendulkar's mountain of career runs over 20 years against Lara is not a valid argument. Compare Lara and Tendulkar at every 10,20,30,... matches they played.

But Longevity doesn't make Tendulkar better. As Rett has shown Lara is a superior batsmen. If he had played from 16 till 40, he would have better stats than tendulkar. But that still wouldn't prove Lara is better. It's about watching someone, former players view, pressure situations, ability to dominate, Lara was much better IMO.
Of course longetivity doesnt count, because its a plus for Sachin not Lara. Lara was not good enough to play from 16 to 40, Sachin was, thats the long and short of it For every one former player who praises Lara, I can bring 10 who praise Sachin you are just not being honest with yourself. And lol, at Lara and pressure situation in short, you have nothing to back yourself up except Rett's selective and filtered stats which by itself doesnt make sense
If it is test matches: If you want a blend of pure elegance, reliable, rock solid controlled aggression go for Tendulkar. If you want a rather inconsistant, stylish, delightful to watch, and a breath taking match winner on his day capable of scoring really huge and making the impossible possible, go for Lara. Lara at his peak prowess was truly unbeleivable even scoring a 500 in a FC game, but Tendulkar's forte has always been consistancy. Bringing Tendulkar's mountain of career runs over 20 years against Lara is not a valid argument. Compare Lara and Tendulkar at every 10,20,30,... matches they played.
Didnt Sachin aslo score a 400 in FC? Or was that in domestic? And lol at comparing players over 10, 20 , 30 matches. In that case players like Hussey are 100 times better than both Sachin and Lara
Didnt Sachin aslo score a 400 in FC? Or was that in domestic? And lol at comparing players over 10, 20 , 30 matches. In that case players like Hussey are 100 times better than both Sachin and Lara
Compare them all the way through till Lara retired, you can avoid selective filter comparisons and get a whole picture of how they fared against each other at various stages in their career. Why bring in Hussey here, Lara played a hell lot more matches and was going very strong at the time he retired.
Compare them all the way through till Lara retired' date=' you can avoid selective filter comparisons and get a whole picture of how they fared against each other at various stages in their career. Why bring in Hussey here, Lara played a hell lot more matches and was going very strong at the time he retired.[/quote'] So why did Lara retire? Didnt the team need him? Has WI batting not declined? Why is a selfish decision being used to extrapolate to mean that if he had not retired, he would have done as good as Sachin? There is no evidence to prove that. Very few batsmen have managed to continously perform as Sachin did and I dont believe there Lara could have continued in the same form
Sachin 523 highest run scorer - 1996 world cup 673 runs - 2003 world cup 2011 - Highest run scorer for India But what was Lara,s contribution in crucial games in world cup.
If you read my OP I said Tindu is a better ODI player. But a lot of this is down to Lara being in a really poor ODI outfit and coming in at 4. Test batting, no question, Lara anyday for me
If you read my OP I said Tindu is a better ODI player. But a lot of this is down to Lara being in a really poor ODI outfit and coming in at 4. Test batting, no question, Lara anyday for me
Ok, its for you, sorry I thought it was more about discussing who is the better player in general according to Wisden, cricket experts, past and current players, etc. Carry on then

Top 10 Batting performances by Wisden: Lara features TWICE, Tindu not once but it gets worse...

Despite his highly impressive career record, not one of Sachin Tendulkar's innings appeared in the top 100 batting performances. His omission was strongly criticised by fans and many sections of the media in India.[3] Wisden defended the list stating that performances which majorly contributed to victories received a much larger weighting than those in which the match was drawn or lost. Tendulkar's most important innings had usually come in draws and defeats which received a lower weighting.[4] The list also received general criticism from a few leading sports editors.
No doubt BCCI muscle caused criticism, paid people to kick up a fuss.