Adults crying - Sissy or Passion

1983-2011

Wow. The juvenility on display here is staggering. It's fashionable for every generation to doubt and ridicule the effect that Gandhi's concerted actions had on the eventual dismantling of the British Empire. Far be it from me to defend Gandhi to the youngest sons of the nation, but I will say this that Gandhi had lived long enough with the British in their home to know what it would take to fight against them. What he did was execute a well-thought out strategy that hit the British where they considered themselves to be the strongest. The British prided themselves, as the leading imperial power, on their sense of honour, fair-play and ethics. Gandhi rose above them in all these aspects and this is where they couldn't beat him. Once you get into any negotiations concerning anything worthwhile you will realize how much of a trump card all these values are. As for violence and the idea that we, the Indians, could have beaten the British by 'fighting' against them, you are forgetting that it would never have come to that. The 'we' in the above sentence are also the 'them' in the very same sentence. Do you know exactly how many actual britishers there were at any point in time when the British Empire ruled the sub-continent? Never more than 10,000 and most of them were employees of the East India Company, not soldiers. The police force and the armed forces stationed in the country comprised of Indians almost entirely except for the top posts. They were good jobs, well-paying and people were proud to be thus employed - the mindset continued on well into independent India with the same people carrying on their jobs under the new sovereign government (Where do you think the inspiration for "Hum angrezon ke zamane ke jailor hain" came from?) Why will they do anything to upset their careers, their lives, their children's lives, their pensions, their plans for a cosy retirement with a nice 10x10 house for the sipahis and a good-sized bungalow if you were an officer by the time you retired? The Indian revolutionaries would be killing these Indians and these Indians would be keeping these revolutionaries down because that was the world they lived in. The revolutionaries would be seen as the equivalent of the maoists of today - people who want to change the status quo, upset the way of the world and the harbingers of chaos, uncertainty and the destroyers of peaceful family lives for millions of peace loving Indians happy with their lot. It wouldn't take much for the British-run Indian police of those times to keep the revolutionaries in check and not allow the effects of their efforts to ever get to a point where they became a threat to the establishment. The Indian police would have used extreme force and violence against the revolutionaries to maintain law and order. Much like what is happening now with the naxalite movement.
tldr, but I get the idea, So what did Gandhi do? Specifics. Bhagat Singh encouraged Indians to rebel against British. And Gandhi encouraged people to be peaceful and let them live peacefully. There were around 150,000 British btw.

Wow. The juvenility on display here is staggering. It's fashionable for every generation to doubt and ridicule the effect that Gandhi's concerted actions had on the eventual dismantling of the British Empire. Far be it from me to defend Gandhi to the youngest sons of the nation, but I will say this that Gandhi had lived long enough with the British in their home to know what it would take to fight against them. What he did was execute a well-thought out strategy that hit the British where they considered themselves to be the strongest. The British prided themselves, as the leading imperial power, on their sense of honour, fair-play and ethics. Gandhi rose above them in all these aspects and this is where they couldn't beat him. Once you get into any negotiations concerning anything worthwhile you will realize how much of a trump card all these values are. As for violence and the idea that we, the Indians, could have beaten the British by 'fighting' against them, you are forgetting that it would never have come to that. The 'we' in the above sentence are also the 'them' in the very same sentence. Do you know exactly how many actual britishers there were at any point in time when the British Empire ruled the sub-continent? Never more than 10,000 and most of them were employees of the East India Company, not soldiers. The police force and the armed forces stationed in the country comprised of Indians almost entirely except for the top posts. They were good jobs, well-paying and people were proud to be thus employed - the mindset continued on well into independent India with the same people carrying on their jobs under the new sovereign government (Where do you think the inspiration for "Hum angrezon ke zamane ke jailor hain" came from?) Why will they do anything to upset their careers, their lives, their children's lives, their pensions, their plans for a cosy retirement with a nice 10x10 house for the sipahis and a good-sized bungalow if you were an officer by the time you retired? The Indian revolutionaries would be killing these Indians and these Indians would be keeping these revolutionaries down because that was the world they lived in. The revolutionaries would be seen as the equivalent of the maoists of today - people who want to change the status quo, upset the way of the world and the harbingers of chaos, uncertainty and the destroyers of peaceful family lives for millions of peace loving Indians happy with their lot. It wouldn't take much for the British-run Indian police of those times to keep the revolutionaries in check and not allow the effects of their efforts to ever get to a point where they became a threat to the establishment. The Indian police would have used extreme force and violence against the revolutionaries to maintain law and order. Much like what is happening now with the naxalite movement.
:nice: Top quality post.

tldr' date=' but I get the idea, So what did Gandhi do? Specifics. [b']Bhagat Singh encouraged Indians to rebel against British. And Gandhi encouraged people to be peaceful and let them live peacefully. There were around 150,000 British btw.
A random, baseless sentence. Bhagat Singh did nothing of that sort. This is part of the mythology created post-facto. The reality is the very same Indians who sing his praises would have carried on with their lives irrespective of Bhagat Singh and the likes of him dying like flies in the face of the British Empire. We feel proud of him now, that we are part of an independent nation. Back then, he was a troublemaker, an outlaw, a criminal for normal, everyday Indians who were not invested in the independence movement. Things would have continued, business as usual, with Bhagat Singh being just a blip in the radar of national consciousness. If you really want to know the specifics of what Gandhi did, there is more than enough material for you to get updated. I will leave it to your fine, fresh, unsullied intellect and youthful enthusiasm. Although, if my previous post warranted a 'tldr' I'm not sure how long your quest for 'specifics' will last. :hehe:

A random, baseless sentence. Bhagat Singh did nothing of that sort. This is part of the mythology created post-facto. The reality is the very same Indians who sing his praises would have carried on with their lives irrespective of Bhagat Singh and the likes of him dying like flies in the face of the British Empire. We feel proud of him now, that we are part of an independent nation. Back then, he was a troublemaker, an outlaw, a criminal for normal, everyday Indians who were not invested in the independence movement. Things would have continued, business as usual, with Bhagat Singh being just a blip in the radar of national consciousness. If you really want to know the specifics of what Gandhi did, there is more than enough material for you to get updated. I will leave it to your fine, fresh, unsullied intellect and youthful enthusiasm. Although, if my previous post warranted a 'tldr' I'm not sure how long your quest for 'specifics' will last. :hehe:
Strong reasoning for Bhagat Singh not doing anything. Maybe a pensioner like yourself should read more into what he did (assuming you can read) And ofcourse no need to prove Gandhi was the best by reading more into it, he was the best.... for the British :hysterical: but being serious im jk, Gandhi Bhagat Singh both heroes.... for their respective countries ; )

Strong reasoning for Bhagat Singh not doing anything. Maybe a pensioner like yourself should read more into what he did (assuming you can read) And ofcourse no need to prove Gandhi was the best by reading more into it, he was the best.... for the British :hysterical: but being serious im jk, Gandhi Bhagat Singh both heroes.... for their respective countries ; )
Why do you feel everyone is illiterate? You engineer bro? :cantstop:

okay, sir. you have won. :hail:

Such discussions remind me of what Sardar Vallabh Bhai patel had once said along the following lines: "Our coming generations will judge us by what we opt to do today. It does not matter whether they judge us bad or fair, what's important is that they should have the complete freedom to judge us as they like. So what we are opting to do today, is to enable our future generations the comforts of such judgement." That I think was in reply to someone who was worried about what the future generations will think about them (him and other leaders of that time).

Such discussions remind me of what Sardar Vallabh Bhai patel had once said along the following lines: "Our coming generations will judge us by what we opt to do today. It does not matter whether they judge us bad or fair' date= what's important is that they should have the complete freedom to judge us as they like. So what we are opting to do today, is to enable our future generations the comforts of such judgement." That I think was in reply to someone who was worried about what the future generations will think about them (him and other leaders of that time).
Brilliant. And they did manage to achieve that. :hatsoff: